Author Topic: Looks like we have a split board on this trade~  (Read 7391 times)

Looks like we have a split board on this trade~
« on: August 24, 2017, 04:22:03 AM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
If we are all split on this trade, I don't think Danny is as crazy as some people think.   I mean big moves can break or MAKE a franchise.   I think this was a safer move.   With IT possibly walking for a big pay day we took a sure thing in locking in a Younger 4 Time ALL STAR player (Rookie of the Year/NBA Champ, Olympic Champ/Duke Pedigree) for two years.....There is some chemistry already.....Kyrie and Tatum went on vacation already this summer...LOL.     

Plus, Crowder has been getting edgy with us Boston fans anyway. Hayward coming to town p---ed him off.   Plus we get to see Brown and Tatum get playing time and we can sign another player. 

That protection would have been nice....but who knows the Nets could be better than 5 (I HOPE)  teams next year.   

Look at the Lakers vs them?LA pick is protected 2-5 and they match up like this....

Lonzo Ball  = Lin
Brandon Ingram < DeAngelo Russell
Jullius Randle <> Caris LeVert
Brook Lopez > Sean Kilpatrick
Kyle Kuzma < Ronde-Hollis-Jefferson

Maybe that 2-5 Protection is still going to land us a number one.   What if the Lakers get lucky and get the #1 and have to trade it to us.  How sweet would  that feel?

In a perfect world is we get the Lakers #1, win the east and reload again in 2018!  Lets not cry over spilled millk....Lets get excited.   
Diggles

Re: Looks like we have a split board on this trade~
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 04:33:05 AM »

Offline DavorCroatiaFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 97
If Lakers pick is #1 then its Sixers pick. #2-#5 Celtics pick, #6-#30 Sixers pick

Brook Lopez > Sean Kilpatrick ....you realize you compared C to PG?

If you wanna compare Nets and Lakers:

Jeremy Lin........................Lonzo Ball
DeAngelo Russell...............Kentavious Caldwell Pope
Rondae Hollis-Jefferson......Brandon Ingram
Travis Booker....................Julius Randle
Timofey Mozgov................Brook Lopez
Levert, Crabbe, Carroll.......Clarkson, Kuzma, Zubac

Lakers are clearly more talented team, but West-East factor and youth could result that Nets got more wins.

But man...learn about protections on picks. Greetings from Croatia
No1 Celtics fan in Croatia

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 06:46:04 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
People are often unable to look past their fan loyalty and see the nuances of a matter.   The key to the whole thing, as I see, is the timeline comment.

https://nesn.com/2017/08/kyrie-irving-fits-celtics-timeline-to-win-now-establish-long-term-success/

That means that this confirms that he is waiting until other teams decline with a mix of youth and vets.   I think he means for us to peak in the next three years with the ability to pounce if a team falters.

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 07:02:03 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
the fact that you have to convince people on this board that this was a good move for this team is proof they're all homers here.

really guys just getting rid of crowder and IT is an improvement.

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 07:08:40 AM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
I still think failure to put protection on the pick is unacceptable.

Maybe it is likely that Brooklyn takes a step forward this year and they're out of the bottom 5. OK, then it shouldn't be a steep price to put top3 protection on the pick. If Cleveland demanded the pick unprotected, it means they obviously think there's a pretty good chance Brooklyn is still one of the worst teams in the league next year.

If protection on the pick would have been the deal breaker then don't make the deal. We didn't need to do this.

Another thing is some people are talking about how Irving is going to be wearing a C's uniform for the next 7 years after we max him out. OK, but this guy literally just forced his way out of the Cavs while he was under contract. Given that actually being under contract can't keep him to commit to a team, we really have no idea what he'll do in 2 years.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 07:13:07 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Maybe it is likely that Brooklyn takes a step forward this year and they're out of the bottom 5. OK, then it shouldn't be a steep price to put top3 protection on the pick. If Cleveland demanded the pick unprotected, it means they obviously think there's a pretty good chance Brooklyn is still one of the worst teams in the league next year.

If protection on the pick would have been the deal breaker then don't make the deal. We didn't need to do this.

Another thing is some people are talking about how Irving is going to be wearing a C's uniform for the next 7 years after we max him out. OK, but this guy literally just forced his way out of the Cavs while he was under contract. Given that actually being under contract can't keep him to commit to a team, we really have no idea what he'll do in 2 years.
Agree 100%. We should have really pushed for the protection or no deal. They were the ones needing a trade, not us.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 07:13:49 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
If Lakers pick is #1 then its Sixers pick. #2-#5 Celtics pick, #6-#30 Sixers pick

Lakers are clearly more talented team, but West-East factor and youth could result that Nets got more wins.

Crabbe? You realize you compared him to Zubac and Kuzma? He's 6.6 ft  (1.98m)

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 07:21:55 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I think he's just comparing benches to benches.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 07:29:07 AM »

Offline DavorCroatiaFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 97

I think he's just comparing benches to benches.

Sorry, i thought that was evident that i compare main bench guys...
No1 Celtics fan in Croatia

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2017, 07:30:31 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
the fact that you have to convince people on this board that this was a good move for this team is proof they're all homers here.

really guys just getting rid of crowder and IT is an improvement.

This entire comment is ridiculous. People disagreeing with you does not mean that they are just homers and haven't thought about the deal. There are plenty of reasons to like and hate the deal, the only illogical stance to take is refusing to really listen to the reasons of the people who disagree with you

And the comment about us being better just by not having IT+Crowder us just so disconnected from reality. Have you seen Crowder's on/off splits? Have you seen our offense without IT?
I'm bitter.

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2017, 07:37:21 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Of course the board is split - this is a major deal with major consequences on how good the team will be. Heck, I'm still split on the deal, and I'm just one person.

Like with the trade with Philly, only time will tell if this deal is a good one or not. Until then, people are gonna be heavily split by how they think the next year will play out
I'm bitter.

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2017, 07:47:53 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Great trade by Ainge.
We get rid of IT's contract, and we get a younger, better player in return.

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2017, 08:44:10 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I agree - I thought there should have been a top 2/3 protection or we could have offered the lesser of the BKN pick / LAL pick. Cleveland reportedly wanted one of Tatum, Brown, BKN, LAL and that would have satisfied the requirements.

One of the other deals on the table was from PHX where they were giving up Bledsoe, Bender, and Heat pick, but Cleveland wanted J. Jackson over Bender. Josh Jackson was the #4 pick in this year's draft, not #1, so I don't understand the need for no protections. Also, Zizic compares to the Heat pick in terms of value, while IT/Crowder blow Bledsoe away.

I am okay with the deal, but think we clearly overpaid by a little bit. Now we just have to hope the Nets are much better than we thought they were going to be just a couple of days ago.

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2017, 08:50:45 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
I don't see how people can't see this as a great trade. I was sick of watching Crowder act like he was a All Star and he's really a bench role player. It's funny how all these talking heads love Crowder now but didn't give the Celtics a chance in the playoffs. IT kept talking about backing up a brink's truck...I don't think that sat well with Ainge or Stevens. Let's be honest, if we had been the 4th seed and got beat in the 2nd round, people would be loving this trade.

The Cavs needed some assurance and that pick was it. However, what if Bron leaves, IT leaves and that pick is lower than the Lakers pick...people will be singing a different tune about Ainge.

Ainge said we had good talent and they needed great talent, well we now have talent. In 2 years, Irving and Tatum are going to be unstoppable offensive players in any scenario.

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2017, 09:03:45 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Still a lot of uncertains from this trade to consider which I think is playing a big role in this trade.  Namely, the two biggest (IMO) being;

1)  The BKN pick  (why was it unprotected and will it come back to haunt us?)

2)  Will Kyrie leave after two years?

Until one or both of those are settled, there is gonna be a lot of uncertainty or thought that Danny overpaid and CLE robbed us in many posters' eyes.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team