Author Topic: Should we retire IT4's number?  (Read 1922 times)

Should we retire IT4's number?
« on: August 23, 2017, 09:57:57 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
I really think we should, we don't owe him too much because we loved and achieved each other but we owe him this

Re: Should we retire IT4's number?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 10:00:58 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
He didn't play here long enough (2.5 years) and didn't accomplish enough. I had hoped that he would have been able to build that sort of legacy given more time in Boston, but c'est la vie. On the bright side, maybe this works out and #11 is up there someday.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 10:06:37 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
People on here are 50/50 whether to retire KGs number or not, and you want to retire IT? lol. Bring a championship to the city and break records, and you get yourself in the discussion. Otherwise, enjoy your video tribute

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 10:08:16 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
People on here are 50/50 whether to retire KGs number or not, and you want to retire IT? lol. Bring a championship to the city and break records, and you get yourself in the discussion. Otherwise, enjoy your video tribute

For accuracy's sake, IT did a lot of this.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 10:09:05 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

I'm aware, but it wasn't enough and no chip. Not even ecf champs

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 10:10:49 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I love IT, but no. I figure you have to play at least five or six years here and deliver a title to get your number retired.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 10:12:53 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson

I wholeheartedly agree. He's not even remotely close to qualified, but because of his lack of longevity and championships, not because he didn't break records.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 10:14:06 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
When I re read this players tribune by Isaiah about playing for the city of Boston.... You cant help to feel what a bastaard evil Danny is....  The little guy must be devastated

I'm glad we got Kyrie.. but IT4 seems like he was set to retire as a Celtic or something....He is definitely going to stare down Ainge, Wyc if he ever sees them courtside... What can you do

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.theplayerstribune.com/isaiah-thomas-celtics-boston-letter/amp/

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 10:15:43 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Cant retire his number....it was too short of a ride... A very intense short trip though

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 10:17:15 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I wasn't aware that he's retired lol

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 10:18:58 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson

I wholeheartedly agree. He's not even remotely close to qualified, but because of his lack of longevity and championships, not because he didn't break records.

This, for example: http://bkref.com/tiny/IbqPa

Just crazy what that little dude accomplished in Boston. He should've been afforded the opportunity to play out his career in green.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2017, 10:21:21 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
When I re read this players tribune by Isaiah about playing for the city of Boston.... You cant help to feel what a bastaard evil Danny is....  The little guy must be devastated

I'm glad we got Kyrie.. but IT4 seems like he was set to retire as a Celtic or something....He is definitely going to stare down Ainge, Wyc if he ever sees them courtside... What can you do

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.theplayerstribune.com/isaiah-thomas-celtics-boston-letter/amp/

Yeah, I can imagine. 

Being in Boston seemed to really help to fuel his competitive fire and seemed to give him a city that really felt like home.  It seemed as if he felt he belonged here and it had become a part of him. 

I do think he must be pretty devastated.  Especially going to the Cavs.  I can see Thomas being one of those guys who wanted to earn respect, wanted to carry a team, and wanted to show he could be a great player in his own right. 

Now going to Cleveland, he will always be living in Lebron's shadow.  if he does earn a ring, it'll be Lebron who will get all the credit for it with Thomas being just his little sidekick.  If he doesn't get a ring, people (including Lebron himself, probably) will point there fingers at Thomas and Love for not doing enough to get him there.  Somehow Lebron loves taking credit when he wins, but never seems to want to when he loses.   

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2017, 10:45:44 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Yeah, I can imagine. 

Being in Boston seemed to really help to fuel his competitive fire and seemed to give him a city that really felt like home.  It seemed as if he felt he belonged here and it had become a part of him. 

I do think he must be pretty devastated.  Especially going to the Cavs.  I can see Thomas being one of those guys who wanted to earn respect, wanted to carry a team, and wanted to show he could be a great player in his own right. 

Now going to Cleveland, he will always be living in Lebron's shadow.  if he does earn a ring, it'll be Lebron who will get all the credit for it with Thomas being just his little sidekick.  If he doesn't get a ring, people (including Lebron himself, probably) will point there fingers at Thomas and Love for not doing enough to get him there.  Somehow Lebron loves taking credit when he wins, but never seems to want to when he loses.   

True... And while Kyrie is salivating at the thought of facing the Cavs and Lebron....I dont think IT4 really wants to play against the Celts in a ...Cavs uniform.....

Its like a forced 'Ray Allen' manuever or something... IT4 is only human...

What Danny did to IT4 and Jae is kind of.... IT4 plays through an injured hip for the city.... Then Danny..

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2017, 10:50:03 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
He could have been a Celtics legend but he wanted too much money.

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2017, 11:00:12 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Statue, right next to Bobby Orr.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC