Author Topic: Irving vs Thomas...playoff numbers (aka what really matters)  (Read 1834 times)

Re: Irving vs Thomas...playoff numbers (aka what really matters)
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2017, 12:45:13 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I don't see the relevance if Isaiah's playoff stats from the 2015 and 2016 playoffs. They were both before he became the player he is today and with a team that was not at all comparable to Kyrie's teams in the same stretch. Comparing IT's stats this year to Kyrie (either just this year or over his entire postseason career - all 3 teams he's been on have been around the same level) would be much more of an apples-to-apples comparison
I'm bitter.

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2017, 12:45:57 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I've seen the constant comparison of regular season numbers between the two, but no one ever seems to bring up what really matters...the playoffs. Thomas in the regular season is a very efficient scoring machine. However, during the playoffs, when the opposition is better and that opponent can scheme for him, he is relegated to a low efficient high volume shooter.

Thomas        Irving
GP      25                52
FG%   40.6             46.5
FT%   84.2             87.6
3PT%  30.2            41.5
eFG%  46.5            52.8
PPG     22.6            23.9
TOV     3.1              2.2

To be fair, IT had little scoring help in the playoffs, opposition can key on him. Where Irving has LBJ and Love.

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2017, 12:49:19 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
The thing about looking at IT's career playoff stats is that this past season was so much of an improvement over all his previous seasons, regular season and playoffs.  Kyrie has been good more consistently.  You can read this two ways, one is that Kyrie is better because he has been at that level for several seasons.  Our you could assume that IT is going to continue to match his one super season which was better than any single season that Kyrie had.

I think IT is good and he can and has been good in the playoffs.  I think Kyrie is good too and younger, better contract, all that.  I am not a big stats guy, I consider them of course but I go by what I see on the court.  I think Kyrie is going to be a little better overall than IT.  But I also think IT is going to continue to surprise people with how good he is for a 5'-9" guard with a bad hip.

I predict that IT has a big year in Cleveland.  The question is if he can hold up and still be strong in May and June.  I am not going to predict he won't because every time I do, IT goes out and proves me wrong.

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2017, 01:19:18 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Why is no one pointing out that in three seasons as the Cav's best player Kyrie failed to even make the playoffs?

ALL of his playoff games were played starting alongside Lebron James, Kevin Love, and Tristan Thompson.

All of IT's playoff games were played as the only player on his team who was a threat to score 20 pts. 

This argument is COMPLETELY ridiculous and backed only by flat-earthers. 

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2017, 01:25:15 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Why is no one pointing out that in three seasons as the Cav's best player Kyrie failed to even make the playoffs?

ALL of his playoff games were played starting alongside Lebron James, Kevin Love, and Tristan Thompson.

All of IT's playoff games were played as the only player on his team who was a threat to score 20 pts. 

When he was 19-21 and had about 8 college games of experience? Makes sense.

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2017, 01:30:41 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes

When he was 19-21 and had about 8 college games of experience? Makes sense.
how can people not understand this?
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2017, 01:30:42 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I think its weird how people focus on the playoffs, a small sample size, to compare players.

Besides IT was awesome this last playoffs. The idea he can't get it done in the postseason is really weird since we just watched him do it.
Really?  You think it's weird?  You do understand that the playoffs are a different animal right?  You also know that that's where championships are won right? 

Bottom line is the playoffs is what separates the average from the good, and the good from the great.  The guys that can excel in spite of teams game planning to stop them are the true stars.  IT playoff woes were no fluke.

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2017, 01:33:39 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1553
Lets not sugar coat it.

IT got 100% swallowed up by the Cavs.  Only after a couple bad games did the "Hip injury" report come out.

Kyrie is flat out a better player in the postseason and that truly is all that matters for us.

PEople trying to spin or deny are just sad about the nets pick and are trying to justify IT>Kyrie

I could not agree more. well said. when IT was doubled up against the cavs he wilted like a flower. let a team try that to kyrie. kyrie is not 5'9".  he will get the ball out.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2017, 01:33:40 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I think its weird how people focus on the playoffs, a small sample size, to compare players.

Besides IT was awesome this last playoffs. The idea he can't get it done in the postseason is really weird since we just watched him do it.

It's also weird how people like to compare playoff numbers while forgetting

in 2015, Thomas was still coming off the bench (Why, Brad?  Why?) for a team that was otherwise lottery bound without him.  His supporting cast was horrible.  Playing against the top seed.

In 2016, Thomas had no spacing around him as Avery, Jae & Olynyk were injured.  Other than Thomas, the C's had only FOUR 3PT shooters who were above pure awful and 75% of them were injured.

In 2017, Thomas played through unbelievable personal tragedy and injury to himself.

In all three of those series, Thomas was constantly swarmed by double and even triple teams as his own roster had no other scoring threat to take attention off him.

Meanwhile, Irving has played through his playoff experience on a roster stacked with shooters and of course, one of the all-time greatest players drawing all the double-team attention.

But sure, if you ignore all those things, Irving wins the career playoff number comparisons.

I really hope all the players on both sides are healthy this next year.  Unfortunately, that's not usually the case with the playoffs.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.