Author Topic: Kyrie Irving isn't good enough ...  (Read 15712 times)

Re: Kyrie Irving isn't good enough ...
« Reply #75 on: August 24, 2017, 01:50:12 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
2012 Rookie of the Year
2013 NBA All-Star
2013 Three-Point Shootout Champion
2014 NBA All-Star
2014 NBA All-Star Game MVP
2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Gold Medal
2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup MVP
2015 NBA All-Star
2016 NBA Champion
2016 Summer Olympics Gold Medal
2017 NBA All-Star

The ONLY reason Kyrie hasn't made All-NBA recently, or viewed as a better player is because he shares the ball with Lebron James and Kevin Love who both get 20+ppg a night.
Boom!

Guys, we're getting a HOF all time great here.  Stop sleeping.

« Reply #76 on: August 24, 2017, 01:55:14 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I'm surprised to see the same sentiments from several great posters.

Cleveland did this deal to compete this year and rebuild next year and the Celtics were perfect partners to provide them with what they needed. Danny clearly did not want to re-sign IT after this season and I highly doubt Cleveland does either. If they somehow convince Lebron to stay, there is NO WAY they can pay IT $30M/yr. They are already in the luxury tax. Adding $20M-25M to the luxury tax and being repeaters will absolutely slaughter them. If Lebron leaves and Cleveland rebuilds, IT is probably not a part of the equation.

The Celtics are just replacing IT (and Crowder) a year early with Irving and then essentially trading Crowder, Zizic, and BKN '18 for Irving next year. I agree that the price was steep and I could have lived with the deal not happening, but IT is barely an asset in this trade to CLE. Frankly I think he is the 3rd most important piece in the deal.

OMG, TP This^

IT isn't even the most important part in the eyes of Cleveland, outside of giving hope to LeBron, and the fans for this year. He's the wild card. If he remains healthy the odds are they won't sign him to max either. In a few years IT will be a 6th man, possibly coming off of hip surgery.

« Reply #77 on: August 24, 2017, 01:56:56 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Lol at OP

I thought Who made some good points until I read this. Thanks for opening my eyes.

« Reply #78 on: August 24, 2017, 02:31:58 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Ya know what I like about Kyrie?

He's the first NBA player in a generation who is both good enough AND willing to take Lebron on. 

« Reply #79 on: August 24, 2017, 02:50:50 PM »

Offline mainevent

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 203
Irving is a top 15 player and can be a top 5-10  player with the right coach

So was IT.

Sorry, but he isn't. It's obvious your against this trade and that's fine, but I truly wonder how much you really watched Cleveland and the impact Kyrie had on that team WITH a superstar next to him! Brad featured Isaiah and he made the most of his opportunity (as the lead dog on the sled), but Kyrie has been beasting as a SECOND option. He is the 2nd best PG in the league (to me) behind Steph and that includes RW and JW. I bet anything your opinion on this PG swap will change by midseason. 
"Mosquitoes refuse to bite me....purely out of respect"

« Reply #80 on: August 24, 2017, 05:28:32 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
It's just odd to me that Danny passed on guys like Cousins, George, and Butler. All of those guys were cheaper

I hear what you're saying, Roy, and the same thought crossed my mind, but as one of my friends pointed out, those players cost fewer assets because the teams acquiring them didn't have the amount of assets Boston has. In other words, other GMs were always gonna be trying to get more from Danny, because he had more. It's the downside of having so much treasure in the warchest.

I wasn't a big fan of the trade initially, especially when I learned about the BKN pick being included, but I'm willing to see how this all plays out. At the very least, Boston got a player who's younger, healthier at the moment, and has an extra year on his contract.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #81 on: August 24, 2017, 05:59:45 PM »

Offline jakeopp

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12
The cost was definitely more than I would have paid for him, time will tell if he's actually worth it.

Agreed on your second point, the only people who think Kyrie is leading us to a championship are Celtics fans lol.

« Reply #82 on: August 24, 2017, 06:20:53 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I've questioned Kyrie's maturity and his character just recently on here.

I've stated that the talent between them was negligible - at best - when determining who is better.

That being said Kyrie Irving is a CELTIC now. I'm going to support him.

I'm going to give him the opportunity - even beyond THIS UPCOMING SEASON if I have to - to put his money where his mouth is as far as wanting to be The Man.

We have a GREAT Popovichian-Like Coach in Brad Stevens. This is undeniable.

We STILL have The Lakers pick which is still very much in play.

We have a SIZABLE window to compete in...this is NOT the KG-Ray-PP window we had in 2008-12.

As long as Kyrie (and the TEAM) is willing to put in the WORK we will have something special here AND we'll put some banners up in the rafters.

I'm going to disagree with Poster "Who" (whom I hold as being a GREAT Basketball mind on this Blog) and believe that Kyrie "IS" good enough.

He HAS to be.

Danny has just about emptied his clip in getting him. He's maxxed out Hayward. We have Big Al locked up and we have some young stallions (Smart/JB/Tatum) in the ready.

We have to give him a shot (or two).

« Reply #83 on: August 24, 2017, 06:29:06 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

So was IT.

Sorry, but he isn't. It's obvious your against this trade and that's fine, but I truly wonder how much you really watched Cleveland and the impact Kyrie had on that team WITH a superstar next to him! Brad featured Isaiah and he made the most of his opportunity (as the lead dog on the sled), but Kyrie has been beasting as a SECOND option. He is the 2nd best PG in the league (to me) behind Steph and that includes RW and JW. I bet anything your opinion on this PG swap will change by midseason.

we will see

Kyrie got the avenue, to shine in the playoffs ...late into the playoffs....

Maybe IT4 will get the same chance playing with Lebron. 

The difference/reality is that...one guy has done it and the other may.  So Kyrie is ahead

« Reply #84 on: August 24, 2017, 06:33:31 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

So was IT.

we will see

The difference/reality is that...one guy has done it and the other may.  So Kyrie is ahead

One guy has lead a team deep into the playoffs, the other has not.  Kyrie has a lot to prove in Boston -- outside of being a flashy talent -- to be the clearly superior player.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #85 on: August 24, 2017, 06:37:08 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

So was IT.

we will see

One guy has lead a team deep into the playoffs, the other has not.  Kyrie has a lot to prove in Boston -- outside of being a flashy talent -- to be the clearly superior player.

Well unfortunately Kyrie won't be able to satisfy your conditions

he can't , bc the Celts are pretty packed.  You know what Horford and Hayward alone as key components were able to do ?

Last season don't mistaken, IT4 did everything.   The difference between 2 season ago and last season (progression) was Horford (or at least a key part of it)

« Reply #86 on: August 24, 2017, 06:39:15 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

So was IT.

we will see

he can't , bc the Celts are pretty packed.  You know what Horford and Hayward alone as key components were able to do ?

Last season don't mistaken, IT4 did everything.   The difference between 2 season ago and last season (progression) was Horford (or at least a key part of it)

Of course he can.  He wanted to be "the man," and has the opportunity to fill in for IT4.  He'll get a ton of touches and shots.  Hayward and Horford are perfectly complementary players for him, and neither will look to be the primary option.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #87 on: August 24, 2017, 07:03:41 PM »

Offline inverselock

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 44
Deja vu.   Couple years ago.   He's a gunner, cancer, black hole.     Short/selective memories.

« Reply #88 on: August 24, 2017, 07:13:09 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

So was IT.

we will see

Of course he can.  He wanted to be "the man," and has the opportunity to fill in for IT4.  He'll get a ton of touches and shots.  Hayward and Horford are perfectly complementary players for him, and neither will look to be the primary option.

yes and thats why it can work

but you think Hayward is a guy that will just let Kyrie do everything?    Hayward is a top 5 SF in the league

I know what you are trying to say...but my point is....Kyrie wanted to get out of Lebron circus more than he wants to be the "man"

if he wanted to be the "man" ...he would of been happy to be traded just about anywhere instead of the carefully thought out list he presented to the cavs

He wants to win...just not under Lebron.   

i'm sure he wants to take the last shot ...  but don't think he will be upset if CBS draws up something for xyz.... as long as another reporter doesn't  ask " how does it feel like being a puppet under Lebum" I think Kyrie will be happy

« Reply #89 on: August 24, 2017, 07:18:52 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Also, while it's true that his defence is poor, he's only 25 - he is not a finished product yet.
Guys at 25 are pretty finished. What you see is what you get, so you better like it...
Not James Harden, Steph Curry, Isaiah Thomas or Russell Westbrook. All had major leaps in their games at about or after 25 years of age. Danny is betting Kyrie will to, especially since Kyrie has had horrible coaches since he has been in the league.