Author Topic: How to evaluate 4/11 trade  (Read 410 times)

How to evaluate 4/11 trade
« on: August 23, 2017, 09:06:26 PM »

Offline bcgenuis

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 29
First, look at the assets when originally acquired and what they became.

1. I Thomas - who thought 2.5 years ago that IT would be what he is today? 2 factors that made IT into the valued player (1) IT's heart and determination (2) CBS. 

2. Crowder - Jae was a bench warmer in Dallas, and for the same reasons listed above Jae became a useful player on an outstanding contract.

3. Zizic and BKN pick - to be determined.

So the Celtics give up an all-star they developed, a solid rotational player they developed, a prospect and lotto pick for Kyrie.

Now step back for a moment and think about how good KI can become with CBS' coaching, if he has the same drive.

Why the deal was made:

- IT was not getting a Brinks truck from the Celtics for various reasons, age, injury, size etc. So to maximize return and not let walk for nothing he was traded.
  The rest was necessary to make this happen.  CLE may not want to pay IT the max either so they argue IT is a 1 year rental. So C's need to add value and make the trade work for Cap purposes.
- Crowder was included because his position has 3 replacements and cap reasons. Heyward first and foremost.
- Zizic was added for $$ cap purposes. I would've preferred one of Yabu or Semi and they appear redundant.
- Unprotected BKN pick was added, still trying to figure that one out, but have some theories. First, the LA pick may not convey in 18 and CLE wants in on the 18 draft. I still would have held out for at least #1 protection on the BKN pick and if 18 BKN not conveyed, the LA/SAC pick (17/18) + better of BOS or LAC pick if the LA/SAC) pick is not top 8. And at a minimum would asked for 1 future unprotected #1 back from CLE  any year 2019-2022. Need to restock the picks on the shelf.

- Mr. Ainge obviously values KI, higher than Butler, George etc. I say this because he was willing to part with the motherlode for him.

If Kyrie elevates his game and the C's to the Finals, trade is a win. By all other metrics C's paid too much.