Author Topic: Salary cap situation and FAQs  (Read 30021 times)

Re: can anyone explain the veteran minimum?
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2007, 06:43:12 PM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 41
My point is that it is not an exception. You can sign as many players as you want to the minimum.

Re: can anyone explain the veteran minimum?
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2007, 07:12:08 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
My point is that it is not an exception. You can sign as many players as you want to the minimum.

You aren't allowed to sign players when you are over the Cap without an exception. Anyways semantics, we are both saying the same thing.

Re: Salary cap situation and FAQs
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2007, 09:44:11 AM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 162
  • Green 18!
If Tony Allen doesn't sign an extension before the start of the season, he is able to accept the qualifying offer. But must the team first approve of the offer, or does the player only decide? I know Perk signed an extension on Sep 11, 2006, and I hope Tony Allen does so, too. Because I really don't want to give him up to unrestricted free agency, in case he takes the qualiying offer.

« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2007, 09:58:13 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
If Tony Allen doesn't sign an extension before the start of the season, he is able to accept the qualifying offer. But must the team first approve of the offer, or does the player only decide? I know Perk signed an extension on Sep 11, 2006, and I hope Tony Allen does so, too. Because I really don't want to give him up to unrestricted free agency, in case he takes the qualiying offer.

A team can decline a qualifying offer, yes.  In that case, the player becomes an unrestricted free agent.  Additionally, a team can rescind a qualifying offer it has made to a player, although it cannot do so after July 23 without the player's approval.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2007, 07:22:26 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
After we got Posey, how much of our MLE was left (ignore that we signed Pruitt).  For that matter, for how much did we sign Posey?  I'm having trouble finding a good source, though I've read 3.5 mil. for this year.

« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2007, 07:28:40 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
After we got Posey, how much of our MLE was left (ignore that we signed Pruitt).  For that matter, for how much did we sign Posey?  I'm having trouble finding a good source, though I've read 3.5 mil. for this year.

We're still waiting on official numbers; once I get them, I'll post them.  The contract in its first year will likely be in the $3.2 - $3.5 million range.

We've pretty much used up the entirety of our MLE.  While their may be a few dollars left, it's unlikely enough to be able to sign anybody, except *perhaps* one of the rookies.  We still have the bi-annual exception ($1.8 million) and the minimum salary exception to offer to any free agent.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2007, 01:41:37 PM »

Offline FatJohn

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 0
good thread! very informative

« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2007, 07:22:16 AM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 162
  • Green 18!
Roy, you should probably change Pruitt's salary according to Hoopsworld (link) or The Boston Globe (link).

« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2007, 01:29:44 AM »

Offline fin_dawgg

• Jordan Walsh
As for #7 not using the LLE I'm pretty sure you're right.  The reason they didn't want to use the entire MLE is they need a portion of it to add an option on the 3rd year of a rookie contract, hence the reason Pruitt got 3 years and Davis got 2(the rest of the MLE was used to get Pruit so I don't think there was enough available to add an option 3rd year for Davis).  Of course such matters are well out of my realm of expertise so I could be completely wrong.

--Fin
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 03:41:32 PM by fin_dawgg »

« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2007, 09:38:18 PM »

Offline LEAHYISGOD

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 101
at least you guys arent as bad as my knicks with the salary cap

« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2007, 08:04:06 PM »

Offline keith133

• Jaden Springer

i think this is the reason the celtics probably will be conservative with tonys recovery and playing time unless ray allen gets injured they wont want hin playing so well he is to expensive to resign

« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2007, 11:43:54 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
 ;)posted a reply to wrong thing...oops
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 12:29:00 PM by redzdeadbabyredzdead »
Yup

« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2007, 06:31:59 PM »

Offline Cullain

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 34
  • 34 + 20 + 5 = 17

i think this is the reason the celtics probably will be conservative with tonys recovery and playing time unless ray allen gets injured they wont want hin playing so well he is to expensive to resign

If you look at the free agent class coming up this summer, I think you'll see why I'm really not worried about Tony commanding too much money, and I'm pretty sure Danny feels the same way.  It's sick, absolutely sick.

Given that, I think the only reason they'll be conservative with Tony's recovery is so he can contribute in the spring, when it matters.

« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2007, 04:24:46 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Just a general question which I couldn't find in the sources I've read.  When a player gets bought-out, the team is still charged for x ammount of the salary throughout the length of the contract.  So my question is, can the team still trade that contract to another team?

« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2007, 04:29:06 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Just a general question which I couldn't find in the sources I've read.  When a player gets bought-out, the team is still charged for x ammount of the salary throughout the length of the contract.  So my question is, can the team still trade that contract to another team?

No they can't trade the contract.