Author Topic: What's the One Thing Boston fans are undervaluing with trade  (Read 5933 times)

What's the One Thing Boston fans are undervaluing with trade
« on: August 23, 2017, 08:42:08 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Tell me something positive , that's not being talked about much or you feel is being overlooked about the KI trade. Just noticed his initials start are Ki, maybe we should call him King Irving just to really tick off LJ.

For me it's The Kyrie and Tatum connection. I think those two by themselves are going to be a top duo in the league. Then when you add in names like Hayward, Brown, Horford now your talking.

I'm saying Irving is playing in Boston for the next Seven years with Tatum.

Re: What's the One Thing Boston fans are undervaluing with trade
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 08:51:52 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Possible undervalued aspect of the trade:  If you are a fan who likes ISO ball, we've added three players to the roster (Irving, Morris & Tatum) who all are good at isolation plays and rely on them heavily for their scoring.

If you don't like ISO ball, move along.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 08:53:16 PM »

Offline bstnsportsfan3

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 23
the fact that the three jersey numbers of tatum, brown and irving = 18  ya know banner 18

0(tatum)+7(brown)+11(irving)=18!!!!   
"A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals"-Larry Bird

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 08:53:53 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
Kyrie Irving is 7" taller than Isaiah Thomas.

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 08:58:46 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
If you don't like ISO ball, move along.
So? Do we need a new coach?

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 09:16:31 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Kyrie Irving grew to 6'5? Cool, we can just start him at SG down the road.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 09:25:08 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
Kyrie Irving grew to 6'5? Cool, we can just start him at SG down the road.

That would be an 8" difference, Koz (unless IT grew to 5'10"). Thank you for pointing out my fat fingers. I meant 6".

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 09:27:27 PM »

Offline Dchuck

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 72
The number 1 answer is....

The Olympic connection.

Danny values having someone who is an Olympian.  Not only because of the obvious top talent that player has to be, but because of the connections they can make..  Kyrie instantly becomes a recruiter to other Olympian, potential/upcoming free agents. 

Remember, it was rumored that Lebron, Wade, Bosh and others discussed teaming up while in China in 2008. 

What connections did  Kyrie make last year in Rio?

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 09:31:25 PM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
Jae Crowder averaged 32 minutes last season.
Avery Bradley averaged 33. We just cleared an additional 65 minutes at the wings where we have some young studs in the making.

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 09:32:19 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
The fact that after this season we would have had to sign IT to a $30m max extension, which would have left is with about $85m worth of cap space committed to the trio of Thomas, Hayward and Horford - a trio that simply is not good enough to forge a contender.  With that trio under contract we'd have had zero cap flexibility for the next 3-4 years and would never get past the ECF.

Kyrie on the other hand is locked in to around $18m over the next 2-3 years, which is much more flexible then the ~$30m we'd be paying Thomas, and that $12M or so saving may be enough to allow is a bit of flexibility to add other talent - in trades at the very least.

Kyrie is already a slightly better overall player then Thomas is and, at 25 years of age, he still has room to improve.  The fact that he's 6'4" and that his game is more dependant on skill than athleticism, means that his game should age well...as opposed to Thomas who will likely drop off a cliff as soon as he starts losing his athleticism - and at 28, will likely start happening in the next 1-3 years).    By that time Kyrie will only just be reaching his prime years and should be at his best...

That's assuming IT even sticks aound, Cleveland may well elect not to re-sign him.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 09:54:18 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Kyrie Irving has the best handles ever in the history of the NBA.

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2017, 09:54:43 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
The fact that after this season we would have had to sign IT to a $30m max extension, which would have left is with about $85m worth of cap space committed to the trio of Thomas, Hayward and Horford - a trio that simply is not good enough to forge a contender.  With that trio under contract we'd have had zero cap flexibility for the next 3-4 years and would never get past the ECF.

Kyrie on the other hand is locked in to around $18m over the next 2-3 years, which is much more flexible then the ~$30m we'd be paying Thomas, and that $12M or so saving may be enough to allow is a bit of flexibility to add other talent - in trades at the very least.

Kyrie is already a slightly better overall player then Thomas is and, at 25 years of age, he still has room to improve.  The fact that he's 6'4" and that his game is more dependant on skill than athleticism, means that his game should age well...as opposed to Thomas who will likely drop off a cliff as soon as he starts losing his athleticism - and at 28, will likely start happening in the next 1-3 years).    By that time Kyrie will only just be reaching his prime years and should be at his best...

That's assuming IT even sticks aound, Cleveland may well elect not to re-sign him.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

Though I agree with almost everything you wrote, I don't think it is a sure thing Thomas will get the max. He definitely very much wants it, but I wonder if any team would be crazy enough to give it to him considering he will be 29 next year. If he repeats the same year he had last season and shows recovery from the hip, maybe he could get something like 4yr/100 from a bad team. A good, well-run team would probably not go over 3 years with any offer, with the AAV being a little higher.

Now that he's on the Cavs, maybe LeBron will give his numbers a little boost. I still think that it will be hard for him to stay fresh an entire year, however, especially now that LeBron has to pace himself as well.

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2017, 09:59:59 PM »

Offline inverselock

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 44
They are not gonna max IT.    Will only be left with the Brooklyn pick after a few years.    Great deal.   

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2017, 10:11:49 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
I am still really excited to see what Brad can do with a player with Kyrie's skill level.

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2017, 10:16:46 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

Though I agree with almost everything you wrote, I don't think it is a sure thing Thomas will get the max. He definitely very much wants it, but I wonder if any team would be crazy enough to give it to him considering he will be 29 next year. If he repeats the same year he had last season and shows recovery from the hip, maybe he could get something like 4yr/100 from a bad team. A good, well-run team would probably not go over 3 years with any offer, with the AAV being a little higher.

Now that he's on the Cavs, maybe LeBron will give his numbers a little boost. I still think that it will be hard for him to stay fresh an entire year, however, especially now that LeBron has to pace himself as well.

Can you name me an NBA player from the past 10 years who has:

* Finished top 3 in scoring
* Made an All-Star team
* Led his team to a #1 seed in the regular season
* Led his team to the conference finals

All in the same year...and then didn't get a max contract after that?

I honestly can't think of anybody who has even finished top 5 in scoring and not gotten a max afterwards. 

There are going to be teams out there who are desperate for a go-to scorer who can cdominate fourth quarters and lose out games - those teams will be willing to pay max money for a guy like Thomas.  If that team happens to also have a need for a PG (or primary ball handler) then that will only solidify their desire to do so.

Not every team will pay max money for Thomas, but many will. 

Look at the Celtics.  Danny Ainge signed to fringe all-stars (Hayward and Horford) and gave max contracts to both of them.  One of those guys was a 30 year old "jack of all trades, master of none" super role player.  The other is an somewhat one dimensional player who is very good on offense but nothing particularly special at anything else.

I would give a max to Thomas before I'd give one to Horford.  I'd potentially even give one to Thomas before I'd give one to Hayward - close call, but I'd probably lean towards Hayward.