C / C-
15 (7.9%)
D+
6 (3.2%)
D / D-
6 (3.2%)
F
9 (4.8%)
Incomplete (I Just Can't Give It A Grade Yet)
15 (7.9%)

Total Members Voted: 187

Author Topic: Poll: Give The Kyrie Irving-To-Boston Trade A Letter Grade  (Read 58834 times)

Re: Poll: Give The Kyrie Irving-To-Boston Trade A Letter Grade
« Reply #210 on: February 23, 2018, 10:28:22 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I find it hilarious seeing the National Media and the Cavaliers leaking so many rumors about this trade even now, trying to make Irving and the Cavaliers FO look like the villain, Lebron the victim :laugh:

Irving is starting to look good in all this. He's moved on. Looks like CLE hasn't.

But, how could he not?  He initiated the divorce, steadfast in his demand for a year.  His reason?  A desire to cheat -- want for "more." 

CLE's response?  Unprecedented:  They not only granted him the divorce, but hooked him up with the most attractive candidate possible (now, and in the future), who also doubles as the current bitter rival.

There was no way for him to "lose," look bad, etc.  He's very fortunate to be in Boston.  I hope he realizes it.       
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #211 on: February 24, 2018, 11:43:45 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2912
  • On To Banner 18!
I find it hilarious seeing the National Media and the Cavaliers leaking so many rumors about this trade even now, trying to make Irving and the Cavaliers FO look like the villain, Lebron the victim :laugh:

Irving is starting to look good in all this. He's moved on. Looks like CLE hasn't.

But, how could he not?  He initiated the divorce, steadfast in his demand for a year.  His reason?  A desire to cheat -- want for "more." 

CLE's response?  Unprecedented:  They not only granted him the divorce, but hooked him up with the most attractive candidate possible (now, and in the future), who also doubles as the current bitter rival.

There was no way for him to "lose," look bad, etc.  He's very fortunate to be in Boston.  I hope he realizes it.     

Well, most reports say Kyrie was being shopped anyways before he ultimately demanded the trade (realizing what the Cavaliers FO was doing - and not being stupid and realizing Lebron was pulling the strings here too).

If you're Kyrie and you see the Cavaliers actively shopping you despite all you've done, and there's a great chance Lebron leaves in FA the next season, and you aren't beating GSW as it is... then can you really blame him for demanding out?

Sure, the fashion he did it in may have been questionable, but @tar, are you really going to convince to me that Lebron is the poor victim here in all this?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #212 on: February 24, 2018, 09:36:50 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Okay, time for a check in on this.

I still don't like Irving's game. He's a good scorer with an exceptional handle but there's really little else to his game. He still doesn't distribute well, doesn't rebound and is still a turnstile on defense. He's really filling the same role as IT did last year and if that was the deal then this trade is a bust.

But....

This isn't last year. IT looks dreadful, didn't fit in with Cleveland and is playing with the Lakers hoping someone will offer him more than the MLE next year. Holy cripes how the mighty have fallen. I've long predicted that IT's game wouldn't translate well as he got older but I never imagined that he'd look this bad this soon. Zizic can't sniff the floor. Crowder looks barely better than IT and lost his starting spot. That trio looks like they turned into pumpkins the minute they left Boston.

But...

The Nets pick still looms. They're better this year with 19 wins (on pace for 26) but the rest of bottom-dwellers are also in the same boat. There's 8 teams between 19 and 21 wins right now so even one or two wins may make a huge difference in the value of the pick. If the Nets draft 7th or 8th it's a massive win for the Cs. If they draft 1st or 2nd then this trade still may come back to bite us in the butt if a guy like Ayton and/or Bagley become generational talents.

And...

Irving has one more year and then he's a FA. If he doesn't resign here and the Cs don't win a championship then this trade is still a massive bust no matter where the pick hits.

So while it's not as bad as I feared, it's not as good as I hoped and could still turn into a debacle for the Celtics. Or this may turn into another Danny Ainge incredible win. Stay tuned...
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #213 on: February 24, 2018, 10:56:35 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I hear you on the BKN pick. That could hurt if its top 3. I'm confident that Danny will be able to sign Kyrie. I've pretty much forgotten about Zizic, and I'm ok that IT/Crowder are not on the team this year.

« Reply #214 on: February 25, 2018, 01:36:45 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Well, most reports say Kyrie was being shopped anyways before he ultimately demanded the trade (realizing what the Cavaliers FO was doing - and not being stupid and realizing Lebron was pulling the strings here too).

If you're Kyrie and you see the Cavaliers actively shopping you despite all you've done, and there's a great chance Lebron leaves in FA the next season, and you aren't beating GSW as it is... then can you really blame him for demanding out?

Sure, the fashion he did it in may have been questionable, but @tar, are you really going to convince to me that Lebron is the poor victim here in all this?

First I've heard of that.  MacMullen reports that CLE explored a trade to acquire Bledsoe and PG, though a formal offer was never made.  I could understand his trade request if true, but this sounds like informal talks at best.  It's ironic that he ended up in Boston though, where Ainge has dangled so many.  Only recently has he started to keep quieter about it.

I'd never consider LBJ a victim.  He sure won the genetic sweepstakes -- his body empowers steroids, not vice versa.   Then with the championships, accolades, Nike deal, legacy -- he's in pretty decent shape.  If anything, I'm the victim of having to tolerate the Irving-to-Boston trade.   :)
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #215 on: February 25, 2018, 07:35:09 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I've pretty much forgotten about Zizic

Yeah, the hype train on him here was patently absurd.  The best thing is he was a not a wasted pick as we used him in a decent trade.

« Reply #216 on: February 25, 2018, 02:01:06 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

First I've heard of that.  MacMullen reports that CLE explored a trade to acquire Bledsoe and PG, though a formal offer was never made.  I could understand his trade request if true, but this sounds like informal talks at best.  It's ironic that he ended up in Boston though, where Ainge has dangled so many.  Only recently has he started to keep quieter about it.

I'd never consider LBJ a victim.  He sure won the genetic sweepstakes -- his body empowers steroids, not vice versa.   Then with the championships, accolades, Nike deal, legacy -- he's in pretty decent shape.  If anything, I'm the victim of having to tolerate the Irving-to-Boston trade.   :)
Yup, Cleveland was dangling Kyrie before he asked for a trade.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2752210-report-kyrie-irving-trade-for-paul-george-eric-bledsoe-was-explored-by-cavs.amp.html

« Reply #217 on: February 25, 2018, 02:47:33 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
I've pretty much forgotten about Zizic

Yeah, the hype train on him here was patently absurd.  The best thing is he was a not a wasted pick as we used him in a decent trade.

I imagined he could be a rotation big for us behind Horford (at the time we had not signed Baynes, Theis so we were kind of "desperate" in that regard), but wow he has barely seen any playing time in CLE. Even when they had horrid stretches and the games were out of reach late, he never found any PT... :o

« Reply #218 on: February 25, 2018, 04:40:36 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Slam dunk A grade.

They in essence traded the Brooklyn pick (the only really valuable piece in the trade at this point) for Irving. It was a heist. I dint ecen care where the pick lands at this point. It was a great trade for the Cs.

« Reply #219 on: February 26, 2018, 12:04:11 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Slam dunk A grade.

They in essence traded the Brooklyn pick (the only really valuable piece in the trade at this point) for Irving. It was a heist. I dint ecen care where the pick lands at this point. It was a great trade for the Cs.

That BKN Pick looks very likely to land Top-5 now though. Would be nice if they could go on a bit of a winning streak soon...

« Reply #220 on: February 26, 2018, 12:10:34 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Slam dunk A grade.

That BKN Pick looks very likely to land Top-5 now though. Would be nice if they could go on a bit of a winning streak soon...

There are at least 7-8 teams who will be actively tanking at the end of this season (the last of the current lottery structure). I'm guessing the Nets pick lands 9th.

« Reply #221 on: February 26, 2018, 12:13:21 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Slam dunk A grade.

There are at least 7-8 teams who will be actively tanking at the end of this season (the last of the current lottery structure). I'm guessing the Nets pick lands 9th.

If it does, I'll be ecstatic.

As long as the Cavaliers don't get Ayton, Bagley or Porter, I'm happy  ;D

« Reply #222 on: April 06, 2018, 11:32:57 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
After the Kyrie injury and learning it could possibly be a long term "nagging" issue, the grade is lowered to B-

From C/C- to B+ to B- lol  :laugh:

« Reply #223 on: April 06, 2018, 01:23:06 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
I gave it a B at the time. Given how IT, Crowder, and Zizic have performed this season I think it's a B+ now.

If Kyrie's career is ruined by this knee issue, it'll change again but I haven't heard any indication yet that that's in play.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #224 on: April 06, 2018, 02:04:40 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
The grade still mostly depends on the Nets pick and if Irving re-signs. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip