C / C-
15 (7.9%)
D+
6 (3.2%)
D / D-
6 (3.2%)
F
9 (4.8%)
Incomplete (I Just Can't Give It A Grade Yet)
15 (7.9%)

Total Members Voted: 187

Author Topic: Poll: Give The Kyrie Irving-To-Boston Trade A Letter Grade  (Read 58986 times)

Re: Poll: Give The Kyrie Irving-To-Boston Trade A Letter Grade
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2017, 08:47:15 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
C-

Absolutely HATE that we gave up a BKN pick unprotected. Really does my head in.

Other than that it'd probably be a B+ / A-

It'll be interesting since we've barely seen Kyrie play as the legit number #1 option (sure he did early on, but he was a kid back then)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2017, 08:58:19 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
C
One of the reasons the Celtics were so successful this year was because of the depth of their bench. It's likely Danny will find losing Crowder is bigger than he thought. You know there's going to be at least one key injury during the year. That back up help will be needed.

Even though Zizic won't be a star, he would have added some strength to their anemic front court. My guess is that he'll be more of a contributor than Yabuseli.

I'm okay with trading Isaiah for Kryie. I dreaded the thought of Isaiah trying to make things happen in the later rounds of a playoff series. His lack of height can sometimes be frustrating. That's a big plus for me. Thus, Danny's off-season efforts to increase average player height is commendable. If he wants a smaller, spark-plug type player maybe he can find a height challenged player in the D-League with skills similar to Isaiah.

The worst part of the deal was losing the Nets pick. What was Danny thinking? It seems this is the kind of deal Danny would have made if he were the GM of the Cavaliers, not the Celtics. He should have held out. I'm disappointed. If the Nets pick turns out to the number 1, then this could end up being the worst trade in Celtics history. 

A few years ago Danny made a trade for Zeller that helped Cleveland make the NBA Finals. I believe he did something similar for the Pistons. Looks like Danny might up to his old tricks. Let's hope not. 

My feeling is that unless the youngsters are ready to contribute the Celtics are going to struggle. On the other hand getting a player of Kyrie's ability is a once in a decade occurrence.

« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2017, 09:06:56 PM »

Offline Jack_Frost

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 52
I really don't understand the critics. Ok: i'm so sad we lost IT, loyal player and all you know about him (who also complained about brad stevens after a loss). But we can grade the trade simply as as swap. We would have lost IT after this season... or choose to max a soon to be 29 year old player. We cannot forget his defense is a problem for us in the playoff, not his fault, but it is.

We take irving. I don t have to describe him

Crowder and Zizic are not important pieces come on... bkn pick is the only real chip here. I prefer a 25 year old star than that pick.

I m just feeling like i ve betrayed IT... this is the only think make me sick

« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2017, 09:22:22 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
It's a A+ if not for the love with IT and feel sorry for him, so it's A-

« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2017, 09:52:46 PM »

Offline the TRUTH

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 77
B-/B

« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2017, 10:27:24 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Irving , Morris , Hayward .> IT , AB , Crowder

Sure. And IT, Hayward, Crowder, Zizic, BRK 18 > Irving + Hayward
Don't agree. I think Crowder was notably worthless to our team due to the fact that his position was redundant. We should have and might have been able to get a bit more in terms of return, but this trade is just not that bad.

Also, just so that we know what we were bidding against:

Milwaukee supposedly offered Brogdon, Middleton, and a 1st.

Absolutely no reason to give up the Nets pick if that's what we were bidding against.

Trade seems worse and worse the more I think about it. Just terrible..

« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2017, 10:32:36 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
  If he wants a smaller, spark-plug type player maybe he can find a height challenged player in the D-League with skills similar to Isaiah.

« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2017, 09:40:13 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
A

The Celtics got the best player in the deal, and virtually the only sure thing. If you're going to trade for arguably a top 10 player in the league, who has two years or more remaining on his contract, then you have to overpay. Although I'm not so sure that the Celtics did overpay. Even before Isaiah's hip injury, I was very reluctant to see the Celtics give him a max deal. I would have liked to keep Crowder and Zizic, but there's that little issue of matching salaries in the trade. Unfortunately, the Celtics had so few players that could be traded to match salaries, unless fans would have rather seen Smart, Brown, or Tatum used instead. Losing the Nets pick hurts, but you need a blue chip asset to get a player of Irving's caliber.

Speaking of the Nets pick, I'm not so sure it's a lock of being a top 3 pick after the offseason they had. I also think we're forgetting how the draft workouts have gone the past two drafts. Can you imagine the frustration of possibly having 2 top 5 picks next year, and no one wanting to participate in a Celtics workout? Yes it would have been a nice problem to have, but based on the past two drafts and how they improved this offseason, the issue will only be worse next year. Besides, Danny finally found a trade partner willing to trade a star player for only one of those blue chips, where as everyone else seemed to have wanted two.

« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2017, 09:51:04 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
A - for now but we really won't know for a couple of years. They're projecting Irving to become one of the best players in the league - and if that happens you do whatever it takes to get him because the opportunities to get that type of player are few and far between.

But it still bothers me that they got rid of IT to do it.  They overpaid - but you also probably need to overpay to trade for a top 5 player in the league - he's not there yet but hopefully will be.

I'm not doing cartwheels over this but at some point Danny needed to make some hard decisions in order to elevate a good team with zero chance of winning it all to one that's capable of winning it all - unless they wanted to sit back and hope they got real lucky in the draft.

Horford's age (and IT's age while they had him) worked against that approach.  The cards have been played - now we'll have to see whether it worked.

« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2017, 09:56:47 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Incomplete.

« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2017, 10:08:31 AM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Incomplete seems to be the only rational grade. We simply won't know until Isaiah returns (or doesn't) and until what the Brooklyn record projects to be after a sizable sample. We do know that Kyrie will be an offensive force, so I agree that if we were to prematurely grade the trade based only on what we know for certain, then we won.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2017, 10:11:52 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Incomplete.

Impossible to draw any other conclusions at the moment.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2017, 11:22:50 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
We get superstar and people give an F? Unbelievable. That nets pick could be a Bennett type flop. IT wasn't going to get a max from us
The Nets pick could also be #6 or thereabout. And Thomas might miss half of the season with his hip issue. But people don't really see the question marks.

Agreed. People giving F's are over reacting to a draft pick. For the last few years people have been wanting DA to trade the picks for a legit star, now that he has they only wanted him to trade those for KD or AD type player. Those tier type players are going to cost a lot more than that.

From a Wojo interview rumor has it IT hasn't even started to run yet. A few weeks from training camp and he's not even running, let alone playing with some contact. He could miss a couple months at this point. Now I love IT and what he did last season, but I think a lot of the backlash is from his playoff performance. He was in God mode playing threw what he did unlit his hip did him in. And thats what we love.

BUT he had two good season with Boston in a system that was built for him, he's going to be 29 in Feb putting him at 33/34 at the end of his next contract making 25-30 mill a year. And he's taken a beating over the last couple years. And we don't see many guys under 6 feet play at high levels past 30.

Also a few months ago, before the play offs, there was the IT to LA rumors. Still could happen people. Especially when you factor PG13/IT  All-Star stuff and after we didn't get PG13, this is a big possibility. And now that He's playing with LeBron, and his LA rumors, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw all three end up there. Lebron would have to take a pay cut, but he makes something like 50 mill in endorsements, I think he'll be okay. I expect IT to end up in Cali some wheres getting his payday next season.

With Crowder, he was so up and down last season it was painful. I mean at times some of us were wishing Brown was starting over him. And he was awful in the playoffs, and not good against LEbron. Brown was better, and now with Morris, Lebron will have it a little tougher against us. And was done with the Twitter B$##$#ing fest every time some one rubbed him the wrong way. Grow up!

Zizic...Well if this was 15 to 20 years ago maybe we could be really mad about that. But he was slow in summer league, and I get he may have been tired from his euro season, and he showed flashed of being good, he just lacked something that seemed not to fit in a fast pace system.

And the Nets pick. Who knows. We got lucky this year, but the East got bad, and most of the bad teams will be looking to tank, and the Nets will look to make the playoffs this year. Why? Why not, they have no reason to tank and they got a little better. LA's pick may be the one to keep, tougher schedule, tougher conference, might get lucky with that one. Anything top 5 should be decent, but who know could also be bust.

Irving is a great player. He's been playing behind Lebron doing what Lebron wants. Now he has a chance to play with unselfish players, and play for a REAL coach who has up just about everyones game that has walked threw the doors. People forget that if it wasn't for Irving the Cavs lose that championship. He kept the boat a float and could have been MVP. And Lebron gave little to no respect to that. No wonder he wanted out. It was all about LEbron and winning in Cleveland. I wouldn't want to talk to him or the people who were on their knees around him either.

Oh yeah, he just turned 25. Give him an extension, he's 30/31 at the end of it, Hayward is 32ish, and Brown and Tatum will be 25 and 24 and hopefully ready to take over. Potentially this gives the C's a better window to being dominate over the next 8 to 10 years.

« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2017, 04:52:13 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Lol this poll is ALL OVER the place.

Meanwhile, most of Cleveland is celebrating the deal giving it mostly 'A' grades...  :(
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2017, 05:10:15 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
From a Wojo interview rumor has it IT hasn't even started to run yet. A few weeks from training camp and he's not even running, let alone playing with some contact. He could miss a couple months at this point.

And then when he does return he could still be bothered by the hip and be a subpar version of himself. What we might have traded is a half season of hobbled, inefficient volume scoring.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.