C / C-
15 (7.9%)
D+
6 (3.2%)
D / D-
6 (3.2%)
F
9 (4.8%)
Incomplete (I Just Can't Give It A Grade Yet)
15 (7.9%)

Total Members Voted: 187

Author Topic: Poll: Give The Kyrie Irving-To-Boston Trade A Letter Grade  (Read 59062 times)

Re: Poll: Give The Kyrie Irving-To-Boston Trade A Letter Grade
« Reply #120 on: November 08, 2017, 08:45:54 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
I hate this thread.

It's just *you said B-, you said B-, you said B-"
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #121 on: November 08, 2017, 08:47:48 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
we unloaded a potentially overpaid, undersized, one trick pony,

Was the “one trick” playing basketball at an All-NBA level?

Whatever feelings somebody had about the trade, I still don’t understand the criticism of IT.  He just had one of the best offensive seasons ever for a guard.

It's almost disappointing to see how many people seemed to just dislike Isaiah in general.

I mean that post... "overpaid, one trick pony".. after the season he just had...  :o  ???

I appreciate everything Isaiah did for this organization and I do miss him (even if last year's team was full of overachievers, they still made it a fun season to watch still).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #122 on: November 08, 2017, 09:40:06 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I hate this thread.

It is interesting to see how emotional people got. After thinking, some people came around. After watching, more people came around. It will take 5 years for some to come to a decision.

The way things are looking so far after only 11 games, I can see Kyrie signing an extension. For me, that will make this deal an A.

« Reply #123 on: November 08, 2017, 10:11:53 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
I hate this thread.

It is interesting to see how emotional people got. After thinking, some people came around. After watching, more people came around. It will take 5 years for some to come to a decision.

The way things are looking so far after only 11 games, I can see Kyrie signing an extension. For me, that will make this deal an A.

Lol it will look REALLY BAD for Ainge if Kyrie bolts in 2 years...

« Reply #124 on: November 08, 2017, 10:17:48 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I hate this thread.

Woulda looked bad if IT had bolted. Might not look as bad if Kyrie wins a ring here first

« Reply #125 on: November 08, 2017, 10:23:44 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
I hate this thread.

Woulda looked bad if IT had bolted. Might not look as bad if Kyrie wins a ring here first

If we get a top-5 pick this year (sadly looks like a slim chance though) and a healthy Hayward back, I like our chances next year at Banner 18!  8)

« Reply #126 on: November 08, 2017, 10:29:25 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
I hate this thread.

I mean.. it's literally ALL OVER the place..  :P

« Reply #127 on: November 08, 2017, 11:16:11 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I hate this thread.

I'd reckon the reason a ton of people have "come around" is because there is a precedent for it.  At the time, a lot of people were disappointed with the BKN trade, and that sure worked out well.  So, why wouldn't this one? 

That's not always the best reason for making a decision or choosing an action, though.  If every one relied on a precedent for X, the outcome would always be some variation of Y, and we would learn a lot less.

I don't even think people with strong opinions have actually watched much of Kyrie this year. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #128 on: November 09, 2017, 11:46:07 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
I hate this thread.

I'd reckon the reason a ton of people have "come around" is because there is a precedent for it.  At the time, a lot of people were disappointed with the BKN trade, and that sure worked out well.  So, why wouldn't this one? 

That's not always the best reason for making a decision or choosing an action, though.  If every one relied on a precedent for X, the outcome would always be some variation of Y, and we would learn a lot less.

I don't even think people with strong opinions have actually watched much of Kyrie this year.

If the LAL Pick doesn't convey but BKN Pick falls out of Top-5.. may not look so bad.

Yeah we wouldn't have a top pick but we'd still have a great chance at Top-3 in 2019 (Kings look REAL BAD).

« Reply #129 on: November 09, 2017, 11:53:16 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I hate this thread.

If the LAL Pick doesn't convey but BKN Pick falls out of Top-5.. may not look so bad.

Yeah we wouldn't have a top pick but we'd still have a great chance at Top-3 in 2019 (Kings look REAL BAD).

Any idea how the 2019 NBA draft is expected to be?  I haven't seen much about it.  It's a shame that Draft Express is done.

« Reply #130 on: November 09, 2017, 11:55:42 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
I hate this thread.

Any idea how the 2019 NBA draft is expected to be?  I haven't seen much about it.  It's a shame that Draft Express is done.

Unfortunately idk either.

Sucks though because this draft is LOADED with potential franchise-changing big men...  :(

But looks like we won't get the pick. Lakers look somewhat decent and other teams look worse...

« Reply #131 on: November 10, 2017, 12:03:08 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I hate this thread.

Sucks though because this draft is LOADED with potential franchise-changing big men...  :(

But looks like we won't get the pick. Lakers look somewhat decent and other teams look worse...

Yeah, I thought the Lakers were going to be terrible.  It's disappointing how well they're playing.  I would love a top 5 pick this next draft.

« Reply #132 on: November 10, 2017, 12:06:28 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
I hate this thread.

Yeah, I thought the Lakers were going to be terrible.  It's disappointing how well they're playing.  I would love a top 5 pick this next draft.

It's also that there's just other (new) teams this year that are just downright awful.

I mean even Brooklyn actually looks pretty decent too this season.

Hawks, Bulls, Kings, Mavericks... horrible.  :(

« Reply #133 on: November 10, 2017, 06:32:11 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Grading trades is a media thing IMO. It's unclear what we are evaluating.

Irving's trade is one any GM would have done, it's a no-brainer really.

« Reply #134 on: November 10, 2017, 09:52:25 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Grading trades is a media thing IMO. It's unclear what we are evaluating.

Irving's trade is one any GM would have done, it's a no-brainer really.
Yes, the funniest thing is when the pieces in a trade are picks (or 19 y/o players) that take 4/5 years to be consumed in the first place, without us having a clear idea where they might land, and then they grade it 15 minutes after the trade.
They can't predict how will, for example, Batum fit in Bobcats in 2015, (they didn't predict he will be operating the ball this much and that he will bring much less defensively than offensively) but they are presenting to know how the unknown pick that will select the unknown player to a, by then surely, unknown roster in an unknown league, that was totally different just 4 years ago.
Oh yea, teams can also trade the parts of that trade to make it even more of an unknown.

Ahh, the "experts".
Now, in the Internet era, we can't even wipe our behinds with their articles, to put some use into them.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."