Author Topic: Is it 1977 all over again ??  (Read 1547 times)

Is it 1977 all over again ??
« on: August 23, 2017, 04:45:21 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
I have been sick over this trade all day - Very depressed. Why?

Because my beloved Celtics are now a team whose biggest star is a player I personally despise. I despise him in terms of how he approaches the game of basketball, how he apparently views his team and his teammates, just his overall perspective for the game.

Last time the Celtics had this situation was the years after the '76 title.  That was when we lost talent & high character (Paul Silas) and replaced him with talent and low character (Sidney Wicks & Curtis Rowe).

Now, we lose talent and high character (Thomas & Crowder & '18 lottery pick) and replaced them with talent and low character (Irving).

I am sick over the fact that Kyrie Irving is now a Boston Celtic.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

Re: Is it 1977 all over again ??
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 04:54:56 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I'm not sure why Irving is getting these personal attacks. The story I heard was that Irving first made trade requests after the championship in '16. He didn't want to be in Cleveland at all last season but still showed up every day, played hard, and helped get his team back to the Finals. He was even instrumental in winning game 4 when a lot of other guys might have given up, down 3-0. And all the while he's been letting Lebron be the primary ballhandler because that was the right move for the team.

That's the kind of guy I want on my team.

He was tired of being overshadowed by Lebron. He won a ring, he had money, he wanted to prove he can do it as the #1 on a team. I don't fault him there. I'm hoping he's right.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 05:07:04 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Flat Earth aside, I've always been impressed with Kyrie's off court demeanour. His on court skills are sickeningly good, with much room for molding under Brads system.

Do not discount that he's thrilled to be a Celtic and sought out a coach like Brad.

Does it not entertain you that he completely embarrassed the King with his trade request??! Amazing.

This guy IS the real deal, and is a bonified national superstar that will help the franchise in ways we probably have yet to realize. 

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 05:20:06 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I am happy I don't have to watch Isaiah Thomas (undersized score first no defense playing PG anymore but Ainge replaced him with another player in Kyrie Irving who I also dislike (scorer who plays bad defense, bad rebounder, bad passer, selfish and difficult to play with).

I am shocked Ainge went all-in on a player as limited as Kyrie Irving.

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 05:22:32 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
I'm not sure why Irving is getting these personal attacks. The story I heard was that Irving first made trade requests after the championship in '16. He didn't want to be in Cleveland at all last season but still showed up every day, played hard, and helped get his team back to the Finals. He was even instrumental in winning game 4 when a lot of other guys might have given up, down 3-0. And all the while he's been letting Lebron be the primary ballhandler because that was the right move for the team.

He was tired of being overshadowed by Lebron. He won a ring, he had money, he wanted to prove he can do it as the #1 on a team. I don't fault him there. I'm hoping he's right.

I'm with you. My understanding (which could be wrong) is that he a) got fed up with the circus atmosphere surrounding LeBron, and b) really disliked the uncertainty surrounding the Cavs beyond this season, since it seems like LeBron will be leaving and the team will be basically starting from scratch. I don't blame him for either of these things.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 05:29:43 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

I agree, he wants greatness in his own right, that's fine. He stated it a while ago and worked hard in the meantime. This is no different to Kareem wanting to leave the Bucks.

People like to dislike him though, probably because he is from the Cavs. That'll wear off with time I hope

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 08:40:58 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
I am very concerned about his selfishness level - "I want to be The Man" - Who says that ? My favorite players never needed to say it. Will this guy be willing to move the ball on offense ? Will he sacrifice and put energy into defense ? Someone who does not try to play defense has no basketball integrity in my book.

The one redeeming value mentioned, I will have to agree with - Irving has kinda told Lebron and his egomaniacal circus to stick it.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 09:06:37 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
We had some pretty solid success not too long after '77, so if that's the path then so be it ;D

But I also don't get why Irving has been called a "cancer", or "selfish" when I haven't really seen anything to indicate that.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 09:13:44 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
I am very concerned about his selfishness level - "I want to be The Man" - Who says that ? My favorite players never needed to say it. Will this guy be willing to move the ball on offense ? Will he sacrifice and put energy into defense ? Someone who does not try to play defense has no basketball integrity in my book.

The one redeeming value mentioned, I will have to agree with - Irving has kinda told Lebron and his egomaniacal circus to stick it.

I agree that there are red flags with him. But think about it: you're p---ed with LeBron constantly yelling at you, and there may be other personal issues aswell.

He can't say that in public, so instead he just says (or his agent advises him to say) "I'm just looking for a greater role"

Agreed it will be interesting to see who out of him and Hayward gets the most usage early on..
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 09:16:47 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349

The last person to say that in the NBA and demand a trade was James Harden. I want a guy with an "I'm the man" attitude on my favorite team because those are the players that get it done in crunch time (see IT, Paul Pierce).

Quick aside, I think we as Celtics fans forget/ignore how often Isaiah Thomas took shots in the Celtics offense. His usage rate was historically high last year (in the mid-high 30% mark, if I recall), and it went up in crunch time. It is possible to have an assist-laden offense while also having one player be the engine. I'm confident that Kyrie can do that, perhaps even better than Isaiah.

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 09:26:44 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

we hated on Lebron because he had to join up with DWade, then we hated Ray cus he bounced out to join Lebron, then we hated KD cus he joined the team he couldnt beat.

Kyrie Irving wants the pressure. He wants the ball with 60 seconds left in game 7 of the NBA finals against the best regular season in the history of the NBA.

Off the top of my head, the last two guys who wanted to be "the man" who felt they were being suffocated another superstar would be Kobe Bryant and James Harden.

I respect Kyrie wanting to take the hard road. If you want to Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. on him for it, thats fine, but next time a star runs to a superteam make sure to shut up.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2017, 09:35:02 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
For anyone doubting Irving, seriously did you watch any of the Cleveland series? And he's only going to get better.

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2017, 09:39:00 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
For anyone doubting Irving, seriously did you watch any of the Cleveland series? And he's only going to get better.

You have to do more than watch Irving, though. You mentally edit out the bad moments when you watch him, because the highlights are so impressive. No one doubts that Kyrie's highs are high, but his inability to maintain elite performance is what separates him from the league's true superstars.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2017, 10:00:58 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11

we hated on Lebron because he had to join up with DWade, then we hated Ray cus he bounced out to join Lebron, then we hated KD cus he joined the team he couldnt beat.

Kyrie Irving wants the pressure. He wants the ball with 60 seconds left in game 7 of the NBA finals against the best regular season in the history of the NBA.

Off the top of my head, the last two guys who wanted to be "the man" who felt they were being suffocated another superstar would be Kobe Bryant and James Harden.

I respect Kyrie wanting to take the hard road. If you want to **** on him for it, thats fine, but next time a star runs to a superteam make sure to shut up.
You just explained the situation he already had. He got more shots than Lebron. He got the ball with 60 seconds left in game 7. The only thing Whiny Irving wants is to be considered the star and fawned over.

He is absolutely NOT Kobe Bryant. Kobe was one of the best competitors of all time. He would do anything to win. Kyrie just forced his way off of a team that his been to the finals 3 straight years, winning once. He puts star attention over winning. Don’t compare him to Kobe. Compare him to Stephon Marbury. Same thing in Minnesota, with even less winning than Kyrie had in Cleveland. We just traded a sh*t load for the 2nd coming of Stephon f*cking Marbury.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out