Author Topic: So did ainge "blow it up?"  (Read 3642 times)

Re: So did ainge "blow it up?"
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2017, 03:21:48 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I have always associated "blowing it up" with taking a good but not great team and trading your best players for youth and draft picks in the hope of getting bad to tank for a top draft pick. I think Danny upgraded the overall roster and made them better. So I would say he did't blow it up. He just made the core a different and better core.

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2017, 03:24:10 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Well, yeah.  He didn't make the team worse, but I definitely think this qualifies as "blowing it up". Only 4 players are returning from last year, and 3 of them are on rookie contracts, so there isn't really another way to describe it
yup, plus at this point, would any of us be surprised if horford was moved? I mean I'm sure we'd be a little surprised but so many moves show danny isn't afraid to move any player. That would be a near clean slate

I'd be very surprised.  I don't see anyone available that would be a real upgrade over Horford, and I don't think Danny would make another trade that major yet.

It would be pretty crazy if we ended up with no returning starters, though
I'm bitter.

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2017, 03:29:00 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Yes he did

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2017, 03:49:04 PM »

Offline MichaelJ

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 3
You could say that lol.  Going forward, the team is going to be built around Irving, Hayward, and one of Tatum or Brown.  Ainge is going to have to add a big to that group.  He's either going to draft one or trade for one.  Knowing how Ainge is, at this point I'm expecting him to package the LA/Sac pick with one of Brown/Tatum (it'll obviously take more but they'll be included) to get who he wants.  That's an entire new team, so yea, it was blown up.

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2017, 04:05:33 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He basically gambled that some of our guys that are young are going to be better than AB.   Kyrie is a bigger star than IT, Hayward is better than Crowder.   But the AB replacement is up in the air.   I have my doubts.

We were not going to get past the CAVs as we are composed.

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2017, 04:06:39 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
He basically gambled that some of our guys that are young are going to be better than AB.   Kyrie is a bigger star than IT, Hayward is better than Crowder.   But the AB replacement is up in the air.   I have my doubts.

Rozier, smart, brown can do the job defensively

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2017, 04:39:53 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Yep, it is the other side of the ball that concerns me

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2017, 06:42:51 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

You are worried about our offense? We are adding Kyrie, Hayward, Morris & Tatum. I am not worried about offense.

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2017, 06:46:40 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

Rozier and Brown have defensive tools. Their defensive track records in the NBA are abysmal.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2017, 06:52:39 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

You are worried about our offense? We are adding Kyrie, Hayward, Morris & Tatum. I am not worried about offense.

C's will be an offensive juggernaut compared to last year.

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2017, 07:03:01 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Well, yeah.  He didn't make the team worse, but I definitely think this qualifies as "blowing it up". Only 4 players are returning from last year, and 3 of them are on rookie contracts, so there isn't really another way to describe it
"Refreshed!"   ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2017, 07:27:40 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Yeah, he did. A lot of it isn't exactly traditional blowing up however. Letting contracts expire and then replacing them with draft picks isn't exactly blowing it up how we think of it. But when you trade your best player and starting SF as well as your starting sg you are blowing things up

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2017, 07:42:05 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
He didn't blow it up, he just finally cashed in on his assets. It took a while, he passed on George, Cousins, Butler, and others. He believes enough in Kyrie to go all-in on him, and I have to say I believe enough in Ainge at this point to think he's right.

Also, after adding Hayward and Tatum, and now Kyrie, I don't see him holding back anymore. I expect him to cash in our remaining assets very soon to win now.

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2017, 07:45:44 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Last year's team was a bridge team reaching its peak, and yes, Ainge blew up that bridge.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2017, 10:23:00 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Surprised at the people saying no considering horford is the only starter returning and the bench was gutted too