Author Topic: So did ainge "blow it up?"  (Read 3641 times)

So did ainge "blow it up?"
« on: August 23, 2017, 01:54:06 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Do you consider what has occurred this off season as "blowing it up." I support the trades and like what he's done, but got to admit its surprising to see a #1 seed that was 7 wins away from a chip change so much. I guess danny thought we got lucky way too often

Only 4 players from last year returned.

Re: So did ainge "blow it up?"
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 01:56:43 PM »

Offline Enzzo

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 16
Blow it up as in start a rebuild? No. We got a player that fits our longer term plan, but we didn't blow anything up.

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 01:57:54 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
Blow it up as in start a rebuild? No. We got a player that fits our longer term plan, but we didn't blow anything up.
only 1 player from our starting lineup last year is returning. 4 players in total return.

Our team is now significantly younger

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 01:59:19 PM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
Tricky question.... Yes and No.

Yes, because the nucleus of our #1 Eastern conference team has been moved and any time you move on from your core I guess it can be classified as "blowing it up".

No, because with the exception of IT, the pieces moved were primarily role players and ideally would come off the bench for a contender... not starting as we had them.

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 02:02:56 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Tricky question.... Yes and No.

Yes, because the nucleus of our #1 Eastern conference team has been moved and any time you move on from your core I guess it can be classified as "blowing it up".

No, because with the exception of IT, the pieces moved were primarily role players and ideally would come off the bench for a contender... not starting as we had them.

Bradley could definitely start for many contenders. i don't really understand how fans on this board never accepted that. He would certainly start on Cleveland over Jr Smith the last few years. He would start over Danny Green in San Antonio and probably over Roberson in OKC when they were at their peak contention. He obviously wouldn't start over Klay Thompson, but if you replaced Klay with Bradley and started him alongside Curry and Durant and Green the warriors still probably win the championship..

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 02:13:04 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Just like he blew up the ECF champion 4 minutes after he got the job. It wasn't, in his view, a legit contender. Poof!  Traded part of the all star core duo for a grab bag of parts and pieces.

Like he blew up the last title team when he thought they could no longer win it all.

The guy has incredible focus. Gotta give him that.

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 02:13:17 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
No.

Same Starting Position: C

Improved Starting Position: PG, SF, PF

Worsened Starting Position: SG

Same Bench Position: 2nd & 3rd String PG, back-up SG

Improved Bench Position: SF, PF, C

Worsened Bench Position: overall rotational depth (i.e. no Jerebko, Green, etc. type players who were replaced by young inexperienced players)
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 02:15:05 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Danny did blow it up. I think he saw last year's team as going as far as they could go. He traded guys with one year left on their contracts (Thomas and Bradley) and got something in return. Danny may have felt their abilities wouldn't match their contract extensions in the open market and decided to plan for the future. Thomas and Bradley were great players on their current contracts. I didn't feel like Thomas was a max player, and I'm not sure Bradley is a $20+ million guy. Instead, Danny decided to spend that money on two no-doubt-about-it max level players in Irving and Hayward.

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 02:17:45 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Danny did blow it up. I think he saw last year's team as going as far as they could go. He traded guys with one year left on their contracts (Thomas and Bradley) and got something in return. Danny may have felt their abilities wouldn't match their contract extensions in the open market and decided to plan for the future. Thomas and Bradley were great players on their current contracts. I didn't feel like Thomas was a max player, and I'm not sure Bradley is a $20+ million guy. Instead, Danny decided to spend that money on two no-doubt-about-it max level players in Irving and Hayward.
This...TP to you.

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 02:23:44 PM »

Offline aefgogreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 55
I'd call it a major renovation - the kind where you have to move out of the house.  But even though we only have 4 guys from last year, it doesn't seem like a blow up.  To be fair, part of the reason is because the moves seemed to come gradually...trading a draft pick, free agent signing, trades and then a HUGE trade.  But I agree that you could make the argument that this was a blow up.

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 02:24:45 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Blew up the roster, for sure.  But this isn't a rebuild "blow up". 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2017, 02:31:39 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Hell yes he blew it up and made us better for years to come

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2017, 02:33:42 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Well, yeah.  He didn't make the team worse, but I definitely think this qualifies as "blowing it up". Only 4 players are returning from last year, and 3 of them are on rookie contracts, so there isn't really another way to describe it
I'm bitter.

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2017, 02:57:01 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
Well, yeah.  He didn't make the team worse, but I definitely think this qualifies as "blowing it up". Only 4 players are returning from last year, and 3 of them are on rookie contracts, so there isn't really another way to describe it
yup, plus at this point, would any of us be surprised if horford was moved? I mean I'm sure we'd be a little surprised but so many moves show danny isn't afraid to move any player. That would be a near clean slate

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2017, 02:58:01 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Absolutely I would.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."