Author Topic: The Celtics Finally Have MULTIPLE CONSISTENT Scoring Threats  (Read 1994 times)

The Celtics Finally Have MULTIPLE CONSISTENT Scoring Threats
« on: August 23, 2017, 12:45:37 PM »

Offline CelticsQuestFor18

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
Don't get me wrong, I really loved Bradley, and Crowder, and I do love Horford.

But the reality is, for much of last season, our offense ran solely on Isaiah's scoring. It become a thing where the Celtics heavily relied on Isaiah needing to score at least 25 daily (or more like 30+) just to have a chance to win games, and whenever Isaiah struggled, so did the team (usually leading to some bad, blowout losses).

And again, I say this with due respect to Bradley, Crowder and Horford, but they aren't the most consistent scoring threats either. Yes, Bradley could score 20-25 some nights, but then it seemed like every few games he'd have a bad game on offense and it would affect the team. Same with Crowder, and Horford.

Many times, whenever Isaiah was struggling, this team really had no go-to guy to go to in terms of scoring. They just lacked a legit #2 scorer. AB occasionally stepped up, so did Crowder and Horford, but not consistently.

It took a HERCULEAN effort just to escape Cleveland with a Game 3 win without Isaiah, and as great as that win was, you saw in the next 2 games, when everything averaged out again, the team had a horrid 2nd half in Game 4 (poor shooting w/o Isaiah) and lost, then got blown out of the waters in Game 5 (another game where the guys who needed to step up just couldn't on offense, without Isaiah of course).

But NOW, the Celtics have Kyrie Irving AND Gordon Hayward, Irving capable of scoring 25-30 PPG daily, AND Hayward who can score 20-25 PPG daily. Add to that, Morris who is capable of scoring 15 PPG and Tatum who is a LEGIT scorer (where we had/have doubts about the shooting ability of Smart and Brown, NOT with Tatum. He is a GIFTED scorer), and this team finally has multiple, consistent scoring threats and when one guy struggles, this team may not miss much of a beat with multiple guys who are capable.

And the difference is, Kyrie is taller and it will be hard to double just Kyrie, since now it will be "pick your poison" with Hayward and Tatum as well. And as much as I hate seeing IT go, when teams clamped on IT, his size was unfortunately a hindrance in that regard and that basically took him out of games (look at the Cleveland series). It will be hard to do that vs. Kyrie.

Re: The Celtics Finally Have MULTIPLE CONSISTENT Scoring Threats
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 01:11:27 PM »

Offline ZoneD

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
The same statement was true prior to this trade. I do agree that the team sorely lacked scoring outside of IT last year. The addition of Hayward was big. I'm not sure that Tatum will be a super effective scorer his rookie year but the team does have more offensive firepower on first glance. Of course, it all depends on whether the ball movement remains first class and how these new players are integrated. I'm still concerned about rebounding (though the subtraction of Thomas should improve this aspect marginally) and defensive intensity but I see no reason why the defense aspect should deteriorate.

All in all, this team is certainly different than they were last year but I think we should be excited. This team was clearly a step below Cleveland in terms of ability last year so the fact that they mixed things up in the offseason is exactly what we should've been hoping for.

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 03:09:44 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
Bradley was a very consistent scorer.  He just wasn't a high volume scorer. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 03:16:54 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
More importantly we have multiple VERSATILE offensive players.

Kyrie is a lot more versatile then IT.

Hayward is a lot more versatile then Bradley.

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 03:31:46 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
The same statement was true prior to this trade. ...
Correct.  What's more, who is better scorer, Bradley or Morris?  You can make the argument that Bradley is better which means they actually have LESS scoring now.

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 03:36:26 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Correct.  What's more, who is better scorer, Bradley or Morris?  You can make the argument that Bradley is better which means they actually have LESS scoring now.

Bradley's a better shooter. Morris might be a better scorer. But to the original point, you are correct: we had two consistent scorers anyway. The difference is that we're now missing a fairly high volume 40% 3PT shooter we used to have.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 03:37:58 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18

Bradley's a better shooter. Morris might be a better scorer. But to the original point, you are correct: we had two consistent scorers anyway. The difference is that we're now missing a fairly high volume 40% 3PT shooter we used to have.

We are? Hayward shoots 40% from 3 dont forget.

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 03:41:39 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

But not someone who created his own shot, the way that Kyrie and Hayward can. Or Tatum for that matter.

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 03:54:13 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

We are? Hayward shoots 40% from 3 dont forget.

Not sure what your point is. We had two consistent scorers pre-trade (Hayward and IT). We have two consistent scorers post-trade (Hayward and Kyrie). However, we're missing an additional nice offensive piece that we had pre-trade.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 03:56:14 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532

But not someone who created his own shot, the way that Kyrie and Hayward can. Or Tatum for that matter.
well sure, but that doesn't mean he wasn't a consistent scorer.  In fact, Bradley was one of the most consistent performers in the league without many wide swings in either attempts or percentage. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 03:59:28 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Right now losing AB via trade is more concerning than losing IT and Crowder.   I think if I am honest that Hayward is better than Crowder and Kyrie is better than IT though it is much closer.   I am not certain Smart is better than Bradley and think we will miss Avery.

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2017, 04:26:38 PM »

Offline ashanm10

• NGT
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 11
  • Ahsan from Greece :D Panathinaikos and Celtics Fan
It's cool that Tatum and Irving got that Duke connection and Tatum.can learn from.him ^^ their game is similar in regards to iso ^^ pretty awesome to have iso situations in the forward and guard positions finally so really pick your poison situation
🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀

Banner 18...and BEYOND!!!

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2017, 04:48:47 PM »

Offline ashanm10

• NGT
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 11
  • Ahsan from Greece :D Panathinaikos and Celtics Fan
🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀

Banner 18...and BEYOND!!!