Author Topic: In Ainge's IDEAL Scenario, Porzingis Is Probably The 'End Game'  (Read 2067 times)

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Now that's not to say that it will definitely happen, which is exactly why I say 'IDEAL'.

But with this Irving trade, the amount of assets remaining in the treasure chest is certainly a lot lower than 24 hours ago, but there is still enough for the C's to potentially make another if they choose to.

This is what Wyc Grousbeck said today:

We didn't feel we were at the top, we didn't feel we were where we wanted to be, you do what you have to do to get better.”

Now to me, that's a very STRONG AND BOLD statement. Wyc did acknowledge that even this year will be a bit of a "rebuilding" year and that they probably won't get Banner 18, but this is definitely a team that can grow and become a LEGITIMATE title contender in 2-3 years.

This is where I think Porzingis could be the "end game". The HOPE is that the Knicks trade Carmelo, and then the Knicks are BRUTALLY bad again next season. That should frustrate Porzingis A LOT, especially with the mess that is the Knicks FO. He's saying all these nice things about NY now, but I truthfully feel that it's BS and he's saying it mainly because the season is starting soon and he will remain a Knick for now.

THE BIGGEST ADVANTAGE: Porzingis has 2 years left on his ROOKIE contract, so in a potential trade with picks/young players involved, you wouldn't have trouble with matching salaries and what not, something you CAN'T say about Anthony Davis in a potential trade.

I think we've discussed a ton on here about how Porzingis would be a PERFECT fit for the system Brad Stevens runs on the Celtics, and adding Porzingis would actually take the Celtics to legitimate contender status (Top-3 team in the ENTIRE NBA).

Now I don't expect a Porzingis deal to happen before the trade deadline, but it's something worth monitoring if Porzingis truly wants out after next season and Knicks feel they need to trade him for value as a result (since by next summer he becomes a rental and a RFA in 2019).

And for those saying NY would NEVER trade with BOS, normally I'd agree, EXCEPT I NEVER thought CLE would trade with BOS either (#1 and #2 seeds making swap/trade), and it happened yesterday LOL.

Again, I say this is Ainge's 'IDEAL' scenario, NOT a guarantee. We can of course hope Brown and Tatum grow into stars and Smart can learn to shoot a little more consistently in addition to all the new talent the C's have!  ;D

Thoughts?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: In Ainge's IDEAL Scenario, Porzingis Is Probably The 'End Game'
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 12:30:27 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
The Knicks aren't giving up Porzingis while they still have him under team control. They will sign him to an extension. Players dont' leave after their rookie deal, they leave after the second contract.

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 12:35:27 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
The Knicks aren't giving up Porzingis while they still have him under team control. They will sign him to an extension. Players dont' leave after their rookie deal, they leave after the second contract.
players sometimes leave after their rookie contract, though max level rookies rarely do.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 12:50:43 PM »

Offline CelticsQuestFor18

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27

You may be right, but at the same time, the fact that the Knicks were even looking at offers for KP this past summer tells me they are "doing their homework" in a sense.

Yeah, its NOT LIKELY but I wouldn't say it's "impossible" either.

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 12:53:14 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Why? The Cavs have up Irving while they had control.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 02:02:30 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!

Yeah and plus Irving wanted out and they quickly moved him.

Porzingis could possibly do the same, though I acknowledge it's unlikely too.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 02:03:01 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I think Porzingis was not happy with Phil Jackson and the direction the team was heading. Well Jackson is gone now, so that dynamic is no longer an issue. That's not to say Danny won't try to rekindle talks with New York again. If I'm New York, I'm asking for one of Brown or Tatum, and the Lakers/Kings pick. That would give the Knicks two cost controled players that have star potential. At the same time, Porzingis would give the Celtics a low cost star player, who fits into the time frame of trying to win now and the near future. I wouldn't make that deal, as I see Brown and Tatum as our future SG and PF respectively.

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 02:05:30 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I think it's clear as day that Danny is eyeing Anthony Davis and that Hordford will be involved.

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 02:13:21 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Danny's going to acquire all the players on my All-Overrated Team, isn't he?
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 02:15:03 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Two years of control is quite a bit different than 5. And that's assuming he signs a 4 year deal with a player option after his rookie deal, you can seek a 5 year deal with or without an option if you want even more time.

If they're offering him a max salary he's not going to play for the QO and hit UFA.

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 02:17:23 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Yeah and plus Irving wanted out and they quickly moved him.

Porzingis could possibly do the same, though I acknowledge it's unlikely too.
New York has more leverage as Porzingis is still on a rookie deal and also under far less pressure as they don't have LeBron applying it.

If Porzingis demands out, the Knicks can just say no. If they think he's a max player and offer him accordingly they have him locked up for long enough to just keep him.

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2017, 02:20:33 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I think it's clear as day that Danny is eyeing Anthony Davis and that Hordford will be involved.

And it's even clearer that New Orleans would hang up. Their only shot at Davis was both the Nets pick and the Lakers/Kings one. It started there. Then add in a guy like Crowder (or Morris) on a cheap contract. Then a young guy like Brown (or more likely Tatum). Then make the salaries match.

We simply don't have enough to do it anymore. They don't want/need Horford.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2017, 02:21:33 PM »

Offline rochrist

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
Saw an interesting thing the other day that compared Dino Radja's first two years with Porzingis. Radja had better stats. Somehow I don't think people would be clamoring to sell the farm for Radja. :)

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2017, 02:22:42 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
How is Porzingis "end game" when Kyrie is the better player?

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2017, 02:24:32 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Saw an interesting thing the other day that compared Dino Radja's first two years with Porzingis. Radja had better stats. Somehow I don't think people would be clamoring to sell the farm for Radja. :)
Radja was not very similar to Porzingis. Also, he smoked himself out of the league.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."