Author Topic: Does This Move Actually Give Us Chance To Chase Star FA's In 2018?  (Read 1471 times)

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2912
  • On To Banner 18!
Now I don't think so, but the ONLY REASON I ask is because I've seen A TON of Facebook posts on my newsfeed saying that adding Irving gives the Celtics a big lure in chasing potential star FA's next summer.

But I mean I'm pretty sure we are capped out and hitting the luxury tax anyways next year, right?

Only way I see that possibility opening up is if they trade Horford but I'm not a fan of that to be honest.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Does This Move Actually Give Us Chance To Chase Star FA's In 2018?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 11:22:27 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Not sure we need to if Brown and/or Tatum progress as expected!

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 11:24:39 AM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Not even close...

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/boston-celtics/yearly/cap/

Unless of course, we trade Horford for no returning salary and let Smart/Brown/Rozier walk...not exactly a recipe for success.

Now, we should be able to get a very good vet with the full MLE - that will be exciting.

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 12:15:44 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Not even close...

Unless of course, we trade Horford for no returning salary and let Smart/Brown/Rozier walk...not exactly a recipe for success.

Now, we should be able to get a very good vet with the full MLE - that will be exciting.

Well then that clears it up lol. TP for that.

I guess the Facebook folks and pages have no clue then  :P

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 12:23:57 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Not even close...

If Ainge went crazy he could use Horford in a sign-and-trade.  But don't do that Danny -- it's a bad look at this point unless you're coming away with Durant.

Also, I expect we'll just use the taxpayer MLE to preserve our ability to match an offer sheet to Smart, as otherwise we'd be hard-capped.

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 12:32:58 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Not even close...

If Ainge went crazy he could use Horford in a sign-and-trade.  But don't do that Danny -- it's a bad look at this point unless you're coming away with Durant.

Also, I expect we'll just use the taxpayer MLE to preserve our ability to match an offer sheet to Smart, as otherwise we'd be hard-capped.

Wait, so use the MLE on Smart next summer?

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 12:53:31 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Not even close...

No, he means that if we want to sign any FA, we'd use the taxpayer's MLE to do so, so that we can preserve our ability to match any offer sheet for Smart.

Using a signe & trade to acquire a free agent would leave us hard-capped.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 01:00:17 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
Not even close...

No, he means that if we want to sign any FA, we'd use the taxpayer's MLE to do so, so that we can preserve our ability to match any offer sheet for Smart.

Yeah, I should have specified. The non-taxpayer MLE for this season was set at $8.4M and the taxpayer MLE was set at $5.2M. It is a bigger difference than would be preferred, but this Irving trade has pretty much cemented the fact that the Cs organization is making keeping Smart a priority.

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 01:11:52 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Just to make sure I'm following -- you're saying the Cs will have a taxpayer MLE slot to use for the 2018-19 season, worth about $5.2 million?

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 01:22:10 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
Just to make sure I'm following -- you're saying the Cs will have a taxpayer MLE slot to use for the 2018-19 season, worth about $5.2 million?

Yes.  Although I think a portion of it goes to signing one or both of Jabari Bird and Kadeem Allen to deals similar to what Nader and Ojeleye received.

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 01:25:04 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey

Yes, similar to the $4.3M exception we used to sign Baynes this season.

On a related note, I think it is extremely moronic to give teams under the cap only a $4.3M exception, but give teams over the cap an $8.4M exception. This seems to give higher spending teams a not-quite-fair advantage.

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2017, 01:38:43 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Yes, similar to the $4.3M exception we used to sign Baynes this season.

On a related note, I think it is extremely moronic to give teams under the cap only a $4.3M exception, but give teams over the cap an $8.4M exception. This seems to give higher spending teams a not-quite-fair advantage.

Eh, the MLE is designed to allow teams over the cap to sign a player or two for more than the minimum, but no more than around what the average player makes.  Cap space lets you participate in free agency for real -- the room exception is like bonus cap space for teams who already had it..

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2017, 02:00:11 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Not even close...

Yeah, I should have specified. The non-taxpayer MLE for this season was set at $8.4M and the taxpayer MLE was set at $5.2M. It is a bigger difference than would be preferred, but this Irving trade has pretty much cemented the fact that the Cs organization is making keeping Smart a priority.

Ah okay, that makes lots of sense. TP to you both.

What do you guess Smart would or should get in his upcoming contract extension?

I think it's almost a given now Ainge re-signs him.