Author Topic: How do you think IT and Lebron will work together?  (Read 2310 times)

Re: How do you think IT and Lebron will work together?
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2017, 06:49:53 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Extremely well. As we've seen, IT might be most dangerous when operating off-ball. He's also a better and more willing passer than Kyrie, which might make him a superior complement to LeBron. If the pairing doesn't work out, it'll be because IT's hip isn't right, not because he's incompatible with LeBron.

I just do not see this rationale at all. IT was always good, but he was never great until he became the centerpiece of the offense, which won't be the case in Cleveland.

And regarding the off the ball stuff, I think that's largely overblown. While he was capable of playing off the ball in short spurts, we didn't really utilize him off the ball all that much. And it was generally out of necessity due to playing with Smart and not having another true scoring threat in the team.

I think people will be surprised how much IT's game will dwindle with a lesser role in Cleveland. Our offense was absolutely tailor-made for IT to excel in. He's probably still right at a 20 ppg scorer in Cleveland, but he's nowhere near the elite offensive star he was last year in Boston.

I can't buy into the idea that the system created 29ppg on 62.5% TS. Stevens is a great coach, but you're really endorsing the notion that he could turn any moderately talented offensive player into a superstar? Stevens helped, Horford helped, but mostly, Isaiah just got a heck of a lot better.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2017, 09:49:30 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Short lived ....

IT4 and Nets pick I predict will be dealt by the trade deadline

They should keep IT4 but trade the Nets pick with cap filler for a 4th star to put alongside LeBron, IT and K-Love. Maybe even while keeping Tristan Thompson. That could be an amazing team to put together.

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2018, 05:10:57 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929
Well, this thread aged well.  ;D Is anyone starting to reconsider this fit at all?

I mean, yes, it's still early being only approximately ten games or so, but this has played out about as bad as I expected and stated in this thread so far.

- IT is actively out there complaining about his role and fit on the team to the media, and he's even taking over Love's scapegoat role by many in the media.

- His defense is putrid (and only amplified in Cleveland's terrible defense), and he's so far made the Cavs significantly worse when he's on the floor.

- His offense will certainly get better as he gets more reps, but his fit in this team is still shaky at best offensively with his skillset and shot selection.

And that's the thing - much of this is not IT's fault. While he certainly could handle the PR stuff and team chemistry/dynamics better, this is who IT is and how he's best utilized on the floor. I'm not sure who the Cavs thought they were getting in the trade, but IT is just being IT out there.

I just don't see how they can try and gel enough together to both make it out of the East and convince Lebron (and even IT, who looks downright miserable out there on the floor with this team) to stay. In fact, I think IT is just as likely to leave for a big payday elsewhere where he has much more freedom offensively. It seems to be a really difficult adjustment for him to go from his role in Boston to such a drastic change in Cleveland with so many other team dynamics in play.