Author Topic: We got the best player in the deal. And he hasn't reached his prime yet  (Read 6913 times)

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
This guy averaged 28 ppg and 5 assists over the last 2 finals series vs arguably the greatest nba team of all time. Sucks to lose IT, Jae and Nets pick, but at the end of the day, we got the best player, locked in for 2 years at only 25 years old.

As pointed out on reddit today, Danny Ainge has now turned 37-year-old Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett, Marcus Thornton, and a half-season rental of Rajon Rondo into Kyrie Irving, Jaylen Brown, Jayson Tatum, and the Lakers' 2018 pick.

2017 finals vs Warriors. Kyrie is legit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9exq8sfTRd0
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Re: We got the best player in the deal. And he hasn't reached his prime yet
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 07:20:26 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Wait wait wait. I mean we obviously got a young superstar but if that pick turns top 2 we would've lost this trade, we gave a PG that's arguably better than him right now to a win now team and a potential franchise cornerstone to build around. Lakers fans are going crazy laughing at us rn, let's hold our optimism in for a while.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 07:21:22 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
It is indeed about timing of the primes of players.  Kyrie's peak (now and the next 4 years) fits better with Jaylen Brown, Jayson Tatum and the LAL pick.  IT much older.  The transition has started to the future Celtics.

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 07:24:12 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Wait wait wait. I mean we obviously got a young superstar but if that pick turns top 2 we would've lost this trade, we gave a PG that's arguably better than him right now to a win now team and a potential franchise cornerstone to build around. Lakers fans are going crazy laughing at us rn, let's hold our optimism in for a while.

I said in another thread that I heard on ESPN or CNS that the Cavs said they would do the deal if ONE of:

Tatum
Brown
2018 Nets pick
Lakers pick

was included.

So Danny valued the Nets pick the least.
Makes sense. Even though Nets suck, the East sucks really bad. and the Lakers are in a BRUTAL Western Conference.

I guess he figures he's replaced the Nets pick with a better lottery pick in the Lakers pick.

We'd have to hope that if that Nets pick is a top 2 or 3 pick that the player we draft is better than Kyrie Irving in his prime.

Because that's who we just got. A 25 year old that has won a championship as a top 2 player and averaged 28 ppg and 5 assists over 2 finals series and 12 finals games.
He's arguably still 2-3 years away from his prime, coming to play for a better coach and our team that has gotten younger, bigger, stronger and better.

We have every reason to be smiling from ear to ear mate :)
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 07:26:09 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

I said in another thread that I heard on ESPN or CNS that the Cavs said they would do the deal if ONE of:

Tatum
Brown
2018 Nets pick
Lakers pick

was included.

So Danny valued the Nets pick the least.
Makes sense. Even though Nets suck, the East sucks really bad. and the Lakers are in a BRUTAL Western Conference.

I guess he figures he's replaced the Nets pick with a better lottery pick in the Lakers pick.

We'd have to hope that if that Nets pick is a top 2 or 3 pick that the player we draft is better than Kyrie Irving in his prime.

Because that's who we just got. A 25 year old that has won a championship as a top 2 player and averaged 28 ppg and 5 assists over 2 finals series and 12 finals games.
He's arguably still 2-3 years away from his prime, coming to play for a better coach as our team as gotten better.

We have every reason to be smiling from ear to ear mate :)
Well...we also gave up IT, a good contract in Crowder and an intriguing prospect in Zizic.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 07:30:48 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
He may or may not be here for his prime so there is that.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 07:58:25 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
How does this affect our cap I wonder?

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 08:01:29 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
How does this affect our cap I wonder?

We added a few million this year, but it potentially saves us ~$17 million next year (~$7 million from not having Jae and ~$10 million from Irving's contract vs. a max for IT).  That probably means that keeping Smart/letting him go will be a basketball decision instead of a cap/tax decision
I'm bitter.

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 08:03:31 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
the value of the nets pick is being exaggerated in the forums.

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 08:11:21 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
Kyrie is so good that even a TOP-4 pick in 2018 draft (Nets pick) may or may not be better than him in their prime.

So I agree with the OP overall. And also with the thinking that Ainge valued Nets pick less than LAL pick because of the amount of Eastern teams possibly tanking and the brutal West.

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 08:13:56 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
He may or may not be here for his prime so there is that.

100% correct and entirely irrelevant. The same goes for every other player in the trade, including whomever we might have drafted or acquired with the BKN pick.

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2017, 08:16:51 AM »

Offline MaxAMillion

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 16

Really? Because that wasn't the case when the C's had the pick. Ainge trades it and suddenly it is overvalued.

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2017, 08:19:35 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Really? Because that wasn't the case when the C's had the pick. Ainge trades it and suddenly it is overvalued.

Yeah, whatever you think about the trade, that BKN pick is an A+++ asset. We've all been wringing our hands for the last two years every time it even seemed to slightly enter trade discussions, even for All-NBA players.

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2017, 08:39:57 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550

Par for the course around here.  Fultz was the clear #1 with franchise player potential until the pick got traded.  Then all of a sudden he became a significantly flawed player.   

Trading the Nets pick without any protection is a big miss.  The Sixers got top 1 protection in the Fultz trade.  NOP got top 3 (top 1 in future years) in the Cousins trade.  It really hurts since the Cavs had no leverage.  No other team was going to offer nearly as much as we gave up.

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2017, 08:41:25 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'd certainly agree about him not reaching his prime yet but my two large concerns are;

1) Will he extend or walk after two years?

2) Injuries

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team