Author Topic: What's your win prediction now?  (Read 6391 times)

Re: What's your win prediction now?
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2017, 07:04:12 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
My win prediction is swept by Cavs in the playoffs

Lol we're going to the Finals, brah.

It's going to be hilarious when Brad *literally* exploits IT defensively every trip up the floor. There's simply going to be nowhere for him to hide, and Brad is savvy enough to realize this, especially after seeing it work so well when Washington employed this tactic.
Good luck stopping Bron and IT on defense. What are you gonna do? Use Marcus Smart and Jaeeee....oh, I mean Kyrie and Jaylen.

Huh? Lol

Smart, Rozier, Brown, Hayward, and Morris have a much better chance of limiting IT and Lebron than they have of limiting of Kyrie and Hayward. They literally, not figuratively, have no person who can even think about containing Kyrie. Hell, AB and Smart, two of the best defenders in the league, couldn't do it, so Cleveland has no chance in hell in containing him.
Oh, so you think it'll be a real defensive struggle.  Very interesting.  So you think we've gotten better defensively and the Cavs got worse defensively. And offensively. Very interesting

« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2017, 07:06:09 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
So let's realize here that the Cavs beat us pretty badly this year.

They made their team deeper and are just as good defensively, if not better. They're also better offensively now. And in a year they have the ability to make their team meaningfully younger and faster with a key player.

We have gotten better offensively. Maybe even a good handful better. And significantly worse defensively.

« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2017, 07:07:48 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Curry is right there with Bron, KD, and Kawhi for most impactful player in the league.

Irving has been a top 10-20 guy.  Maybe he's more impactful than that on the Celts in an expanded role.  He may have the talent to equal Curry -- though likely never what Curry did in 2016 during the regular season -- but he hasn't been particularly close to this point.

Klay and Thompson are comparable talents, perhaps, but I think Klay's exceptional shooting is more of an outlier skill than anything Hayward brings to the table, so he's more difficult for the other team to handle.
Agree with all of that but I think it's worth noting that Curry didn't even make an all star team until his 5the season when he was 25 (the age that Kyrie will be this coming season) and he wasn't a top 5 MVP candidate until he was 26. Irving, having spent 6 years under Lebron, hasn't had a chance to break out and this could be the season he realizing his potential a la Curry in '15 or '16.

BTW, Looking at Curry's numbers, it's sort of bizarre that he didn't make the AS game in his 4th year.

I don't think anyone's going to make the argument that Kyrie can't break out. He's one of the most talented offensive players in the league and has a virtually unrivaled resume for a 25 year-old, but banking on that break out is where you misstep. A Curry-like development from star to megastar is beyond rare. Kyrie certainly has the baseline talent necessary to become that sort of player, but so much more has to go right for that transformation to occur. Here's to hoping playing for Stevens, alongside Horford and Hayward provides the right environment for Kyrie's emergence, but I won't be holding my breath.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2017, 07:24:25 PM »

Offline inverselock

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 44
Glad we don't have to deal with defensive shortcomings of a 5'7" guy.     

« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2017, 07:38:51 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

It will take a while to work out the kinks.

2nd half record will be better than the first.

« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2017, 08:37:01 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Curry is right there with Bron, KD, and Kawhi for most impactful player in the league.

Irving has been a top 10-20 guy.  Maybe he's more impactful than that on the Celts in an expanded role.  He may have the talent to equal Curry -- though likely never what Curry did in 2016 during the regular season -- but he hasn't been particularly close to this point.

Klay and Thompson are comparable talents, perhaps, but I think Klay's exceptional shooting is more of an outlier skill than anything Hayward brings to the table, so he's more difficult for the other team to handle.
Agree with all of that but I think it's worth noting that Curry didn't even make an all star team until his 5the season when he was 25 (the age that Kyrie will be this coming season) and he wasn't a top 5 MVP candidate until he was 26. Irving, having spent 6 years under Lebron, hasn't had a chance to break out and this could be the season he realizing his potential a la Curry in '15 or '16.

BTW, Looking at Curry's numbers, it's sort of bizarre that he didn't make the AS game in his 4th year.

I don't think anyone's going to make the argument that Kyrie can't break out. He's one of the most talented offensive players in the league and has a virtually unrivaled resume for a 25 year-old, but banking on that break out is where you misstep. A Curry-like development from star to megastar is beyond rare. Kyrie certainly has the baseline talent necessary to become that sort of player, but so much more has to go right for that transformation to occur. Here's to hoping playing for Stevens, alongside Horford and Hayward provides the right environment for Kyrie's emergence, but I won't be holding my breath.
I didn't mean to sound like I'm banking on it (although I am optimistic that it'll happen) only that if it were to happen, this is when it does happen for some players. Curry, for one.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2017, 08:57:56 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

I didn't mean to sound like I'm banking on it (although I am optimistic that it'll happen) only that if it were to happen, this is when it does happen for some players. Curry, for one.

I didn't get the impression that you were banking on it, but whenever someone invokes Curry in relation to player development, I am compelled to give the outlier speech lol.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #67 on: August 24, 2017, 01:43:05 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
same as ever. 82-0.  ;D
Mikey Adams, is that you?
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur