Author Topic: Prediction regarding the Brooklyn pick  (Read 3265 times)

Prediction regarding the Brooklyn pick
« on: August 23, 2017, 01:11:36 AM »

Offline the TRUTH

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 77
If Cleveland keeps this pick heading into the draft lottery, no matter where the Nets finish in the standings (assuming they don't make the playoffs, of course), the Cavs will win the lottery.

I don't buy the belief that the NBA never does anything to influence the lottery. With that in mind, this one seems like a no-brainer.

If LeBron decides to stay in Cleveland, then the Cavs either have an even bigger trade chip to dangle, or they can use the pick and select a potential star to groom under James.

And if James leaves and the Cavs use the pick, then this keeps basketball alive in Cleveland. When the Cavs aren't good, they draw horribly, and the league knows that. That's one thing that I love about the Celtics - even when we aren't great, the fan support is still there. But Cleveland will literally become the graveyard of the NBA if the league doesn't ensure that there's a young star playing there.

I hope I'm wrong, but I see this one coming from a mile away.

Re: Prediction regarding the Brooklyn pick
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 01:17:45 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
No doubt it's a good pick. 7:30PM tonight is when the Nets became good again.

All of a sudden heaps of praise for Crabbe, Russell, Mozgov, etc.

People are delusional. Nets will be terrible, the pick will be a good one. Terrible addition, should have been the Lakers/Kings pick if we HAD to add one.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 01:25:57 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 987
Going to be the biggest Brooklyn Nets fan this season besides Boston. Hope they start winning LOTS of games this season. And Pacers, Hawks, Bulls lose a lot of games.

I also need Lakers to lose most of their games enough to be the second worst.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 01:31:12 AM »

Offline the TRUTH

• Al Horford

People are delusional. Nets will be terrible, the pick will be a good one. Terrible addition, should have been the Lakers/Kings pick if we HAD to add one.

I was upset to see the Nets pick included as well, especially since it's completely unprotected. Very interested to hear why Ainge had to give up that much and what other offers were on the table for the Cavs.

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 01:36:14 AM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

You realize it's a 'lottery', right ? Ping pong balls determine the pick location

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 01:36:47 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3148

The Nets will stink, there is no doubt but they won't be tanking.

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 01:43:45 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Russell has potential for a breakout year...aside from that there isn't really much hope for them tbh

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 02:51:09 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
If Cleveland keeps this pick heading into the draft lottery, no matter where the Nets finish in the standings (assuming they don't make the playoffs, of course), the Cavs will win the lottery.

I don't buy the belief that the NBA never does anything to influence the lottery. With that in mind, this one seems like a no-brainer.

If LeBron decides to stay in Cleveland, then the Cavs either have an even bigger trade chip to dangle, or they can use the pick and select a potential star to groom under James.

And if James leaves and the Cavs use the pick, then this keeps basketball alive in Cleveland. When the Cavs aren't good, they draw horribly, and the league knows that. That's one thing that I love about the Celtics - even when we aren't great, the fan support is still there. But Cleveland will literally become the graveyard of the NBA if the league doesn't ensure that there's a young star playing there.

They might win the lottery.  Odds are odds and unlikely events always have a chance of occurring. If they do, it is not because the NBA rigged it or because you saw it from a mile away.  Its because when you've got a chance you've got a chance.  Things can happen naturally too.  If I do some funky dance to honor the Flying Spaghetti Monster before I chuck up a backwards half court shot and the shot goes in, that doesn't mean the Spaghetti Monster put the ball in the hoop for me.  Sometimes unlikely things just happen by chance and if something has a 1/100 chance of happening, well its going to happen that 1 time at some point.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 03:21:37 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I am predicting Cleveland will get the 6th pick via Nets in the 2018 draft.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 04:25:03 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Praying for Russell, RHJ and Levert to make big strides, for our sake at least.

I'm hoping for #6, but it could easily be a top 3 pick.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 06:21:49 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

You realize it's a 'lottery', right ? Ping pong balls determine the pick location
It doesn't matter.  They will have the worst record in the league and that will guarantee them a top 5 pick.

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2017, 07:05:58 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

If LeBron leaves they will get the first, mark my words.

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2017, 03:51:05 PM »

Offline the TRUTH

• Al Horford

If LeBron leaves they will get the first, mark my words.

My thoughts exactly. The only detail there is that the draft lottery takes place while the playoffs are still going on, so there's a good chance the league won't know whether or not LeBron is planning to stay. That, coupled with Cleveland's miserable attendance when the team isn't a contender, leads me to believe that the league will influence the lottery (if it needs to) in order to guarantee the Cavs get the first pick.

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2017, 03:53:26 PM »

Offline the TRUTH

• Al Horford

They might win the lottery.  Odds are odds and unlikely events always have a chance of occurring. If they do, it is not because the NBA rigged it or because you saw it from a mile away.  Its because when you've got a chance you've got a chance.  Things can happen naturally too.  If I do some funky dance to honor the Flying Spaghetti Monster before I chuck up a backwards half court shot and the shot goes in, that doesn't mean the Spaghetti Monster put the ball in the hoop for me.  Sometimes unlikely things just happen by chance and if something has a 1/100 chance of happening, well its going to happen that 1 time at some point.

I appreciate the entertaining analogy, but a lot of people (myself included) believe that the league office tends to influence outcomes of games or draft lotteries from time to time. Out of the four major sports, the NBA is the only one that's ever raised that level of suspicion in me. Agree to disagree.

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2017, 03:59:22 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Ehh, I don't much find the lottery conspiracy theories compelling. The pick's going to be in the top few slots by virtue of the Nets roster being hot garbage, not because the league is pro-Cleveland.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers