Author Topic: Bradley posts video in response to IT trade  (Read 4301 times)

Re: Bradley posts video in response to IT trade
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2017, 08:10:02 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
They might let IT walk, in the off season,  to sign someone LeBron wants to rebuild.

I think the only way they don't let him walk is if LeBron will only stay with him there.

I think their Plan A is use IT + Rose as 1 year PG stopgaps, let them go when LeBron almost certainly leaves, blow up the rest of the roster and rebuild. They do have other options but there's very little point in paying IT a ton of money with no LeBron.

Exactly - which is why the Cavs wanted so 'much.'  In their eyes, they traded Irving for IT/Crowder/Zizic this year and Irving for Crowder/Zizic/BKN pick beyond.

They wanted one last chance to compete for a championship (and they should be about as good as last year) and then get a head start with a great pick next year. I understand why the pick had to be involved, but it is a real bummer that it did.

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2017, 09:07:30 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Nobody wanted to see IT traded.  I get that.  What a season he had for us.  But many didn't want to sign him to a max (some did).  Big contract pending, bad hip, chance to bring in a star, traded.  OK

As for Bradley, we should "bump" a thread from when he signed his big deal.  Many were outraged at what Ainge paid him.  I love Bradley but he needs to be careful here.  The Celtics and the fans were very good to him. He was essentially traded to make room for Hayward.  I would be mad too if I got traded to Detroit.  I think he will be fine.  I will consider this his mulligan.  He will settle down I believe and make peace with this.

Come on man...the fans were good to him? 

Avery Bradley has been the hardest working player on this team for the past 5 years.  He's been loyal to Boston, never complained about any roles he ever had, gave everything he had tot he franchise every minute he was here...and all I ever saw on CB was a bunch of whiners yelling "trade AB he's too short" or "trade AB I don't want to pay him", or "trade AB he'll never be a star". 

I cannot think of a single Celtics player in the past 10 years who was more underappreciated then Avery Bradley was.  He represented absolutely everything that it meant to be a Celtic, and I honestly am much sadder that we traded Bradley then I am that we traded Thomas.  AB was the only guy left on this team who played with Pierce, KG, Rondo and Ray on all of those great teams in the Big 3 era.  The last guy left who played under both Doc and Stevens.  Every time I watched the Celtics play, through all the changes that happened, seeing AB out there hounding ball handlers wast he one thing that always reminded me that this is the Celtics.

We gave him away for scraps just to clear cap space to sign Hayward so that Brad Stevens could rekindle his little college flame when we could instead made far less costly moves to land guys like Cousins, Butler or George - who are all significantly better players then Hayward is. 

I'm sure AB understands it's just a business and I'm sure he accepts that,  but I'm sure a part of him is frustrated too, and I don't blame him.

As for those who say that Ainge took a big chance on him by offering him that bit $7m/year contract - that may be true, but who worked out better off for it?  That contract very quickly turned in to one of the biggest bargains in the league, much like Crowder's is now. For the last couple of years AB has been dramatically underpaid, so the Celtics are the ones who got the sweet end of that deal.

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2017, 09:09:46 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
Wow that is not classic..
looks like we made a right choice to trade him away

It could relate to Danny though, it could relate to a lot of things. I don't think its not classy at all. Isaiah posting himself dancing when Hayward signed was less classy.

I agree. 

That's straight up offensive - if I were AB I'd have been pretty annoyed by that.  I understand basketball is a business, and you don't expect loyalty or sympathy from GM's or team owners.  But you kinda expect a little bit of respect from the fellow players who went out and gave blood, sweat and tears for night in, night out.  I let it go at the time, but that was a truly classless act by Thomas.

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2017, 09:20:55 PM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
Bottom line:  We didn't sign IT as a FA, so I'm not to worried.   

KI
JB
GH
MM
AL

That is a solid 5 ~ we have a decent bench!   Lets roll, look ahead and get excited that this team is still talented and younger.   We beat the Cavs  in game one of the season and we will loving the new players. 

Rozier
Smart
Tatum
Baynes
Diggles

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2017, 09:26:40 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
Nobody wanted to see IT traded.  I get that.  What a season he had for us.  But many didn't want to sign him to a max (some did).  Big contract pending, bad hip, chance to bring in a star, traded.  OK

As for Bradley, we should "bump" a thread from when he signed his big deal.  Many were outraged at what Ainge paid him.  I love Bradley but he needs to be careful here.  The Celtics and the fans were very good to him. He was essentially traded to make room for Hayward.  I would be mad too if I got traded to Detroit.  I think he will be fine.  I will consider this his mulligan.  He will settle down I believe and make peace with this.

Avery Bradley has been the hardest working player on this team for the past 5 years.  He's been loyal to Boston, never complained about any roles he ever had, gave everything he had tot he franchise every minute he was here...and all I ever saw on CB was a bunch of whiners yelling "trade AB he's too short" or "trade AB I don't want to pay him", or "trade AB he'll never be a star". 

I cannot think of a single Celtics player in the past 10 years who was more underappreciated then Avery Bradley was.  He represented absolutely everything that it meant to be a Celtic, and I honestly am much sadder that we traded Bradley then I am that we traded Thomas.  AB was the only guy left on this team who played with Pierce, KG, Rondo and Ray on all of those great teams in the Big 3 era.  The last guy left who played under both Doc and Stevens.  Every time I watched the Celtics play, through all the changes that happened, seeing AB out there hounding ball handlers wast he one thing that always reminded me that this is the Celtics.

We gave him away for scraps just to clear cap space to sign Hayward so that Brad Stevens could rekindle his little college flame when we could instead made far less costly moves to land guys like Cousins, Butler or George - who are all significantly better players then Hayward is. 

I'm sure AB understands it's just a business and I'm sure he accepts that,  but I'm sure a part of him is frustrated too, and I don't blame him.

As for those who say that Ainge took a big chance on him by offering him that bit $7m/year contract - that may be true, but who worked out better off for it?  That contract very quickly turned in to one of the biggest bargains in the league, much like Crowder's is now. For the last couple of years AB has been dramatically underpaid, so the Celtics are the ones who got the sweet end of that deal.

The bold is absolutely not true in any sense of the word.

Seriously, completely false.

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2017, 09:38:35 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Seriously. People overlook Hayward to a criminal degree
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2017, 09:40:15 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Who cares what a Piston says?

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2017, 09:45:46 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

If you think that, you're delusional.

Butler and George can both Hayward offensively point for point (at least), but both are  vastly superior defensively players who offer superior versatility and athleticism.

With Kyrie, Brown and Hayward replacing Isaiah, Bradley and Crowder in the starting lineup we have gotten significantly better offensively, but significantly worse defensively. 

If we instead had Kyrie, Brown and Butler/George we would have improved significantly on both the offensive end and the defensive end, and we would have been a significantly better all-around team for it.

With Kyrie and Hayward out there we now have two defensive liabilities on the perimeter that we are going to have to try and make up for, and short of starting Smart at SG (which may help a bit) I seriously have no idea how we are going to avoid becoming one of the worst defensive teams in the NBA.  An issue we would not need to worry about if we had acquired George or Butler instead of Hayward.

Butler and George are also two guys who have proven that they can go toe-to-toe with Lebron.  The Bulls dominated the Cavs in the regular season (with Butler holding Lebron to relatively pedestrian numbers) while Paul George has give Lebron a handful almost every time the Pacers have played the Cavs.  Gordon Hayward is an upgrade over Crowder obviously, but he is no challenge for Lebron on either end of the court.

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2017, 10:07:53 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236

Butler and George can both Hayward offensively point for point (at least), but both are  vastly superior defensively players who offer superior versatility and athleticism.

We either aren't watching the same Paul George or not watching the same Gordon Hayward.

With Kyrie, Brown and Hayward replacing Isaiah, Bradley and Crowder in the starting lineup we have gotten significantly better offensively, but significantly worse defensively. 

If we instead had Kyrie, Brown and Butler/George we would have improved significantly on both the offensive end and the defensive end, and we would have been a significantly better all-around team for it.

It is highly disingenuous to set it up this way. How were we landing Butler or George? If you want to set it up as either Butler or Hayward plus Kyrie you have to factor Jayson Tatum in.

With Kyrie and Hayward out there we now have two defensive liabilities on the perimeter that we are going to have to try and make up for, and short of starting Smart at SG (which may help a bit) I seriously have no idea how we are going to avoid becoming one of the worst defensive teams in the NBA.  An issue we would not need to worry about if we had acquired George or Butler instead of Hayward.

Seriously, are we thinking of the same player?

Butler and George are also two guys who have proven that they can go toe-to-toe with Lebron.  The Bulls dominated the Cavs in the regular season (with Butler holding Lebron to relatively pedestrian numbers) while Paul George has give Lebron a handful almost every time the Pacers have played the Cavs.  Gordon Hayward is an upgrade over Crowder obviously, but he is no challenge for Lebron on either end of the court.

Paul George hasn't been the player he was defensively since his injury, and would have cost us a huge amount in a trade.

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2017, 10:42:13 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141

If you think Hayward is a defensive liability, you clearly have not watched him play, or frankly, are aware of his game or abilities.

Hayward is an above average defensive player, and if you do not believe that, I can't help you.

This is bore out by stats as well as observation, and I find it hard to believe you would be able to find many who agree with your assessment if his defensive capabilities.

He is, 100% NOT a defensive liability.

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2017, 11:21:17 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
We either aren't watching the same Paul George or not watching the same Gordon Hayward.

Apparently so. 

It is highly disingenuous to set it up this way. How were we landing Butler or George? If you want to set it up as either Butler or Hayward plus Kyrie you have to factor Jayson Tatum in.

We could have had Butler for #3 straight up. 

Yes this would mean losing Tatum...but it would also mean we could have kept Bradley, Olynyk and perhaps Green - who were all absolutely instrumental to our playoff success last season.   

I'm very high on Tatum and I think he's going to be great, but that's still a big gamble giving up a key two-way starter and two playoff-proven rotation players Tatum and a couple of bits.  I hope he lives up to the potential. 

We could have had a starting core of Irving / Bradley / Butler / Olynyk / Horford - and I think that is a stronger starting five then anything we can assemble using our current list of guys.

Maybe Danny will make one more move and bring in  one extra key piece - if so that all is forgiven.  But until then, the current makeup of our team is...awkward. 

Seriously, are we thinking of the same player?

Yep, you are just thinking of him casually defending his position while taking comfort in the fact that he has the best shot blocker in the league covering his back.  I'm thinking of the one struggling to keep his man contained knowing he has a 31 year old undersized Al Horford covering for him instead.

Paul George hasn't been the player he was defensively since his injury, and would have cost us a huge amount in a trade.

Maybe, but he's still a significantly better defender then Gordon Hayward and offers superior defensive versatility due to his height, length and athleticism which allows him to effectively defend anything from PG's to PF's - while Hayward can defend SF's, some SG's and perhaps the absolute tiniest of small ball PFs. 

Butler on the other hand is so much better then Hayward defensively that I won't even waste my time making the comparison.

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2017, 11:24:00 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Oh man, you really seem ignorant of how good Hayward is. This'll be a good year for you.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2017, 11:47:04 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
Oh man, you really seem ignorant of how good Hayward is. This'll be a good year for you.

I beg to differ.

Hayward is a skilled and highly efficient scorer, an above average playmaker, an average rebounder, and he's not locking anybody down on defence. 

He's a very good player and obviously a huge upgrade, but Butler is a cut above.

Alas, I guess we will have to agree to disagree.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 12:26:49 AM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2017, 06:35:07 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Wow that is not classic..
looks like we made a right choice to trade him away

It could relate to Danny though, it could relate to a lot of things. I don't think its not classy at all. Isaiah posting himself dancing when Hayward signed was less classy.

I agree. 

That's straight up offensive - if I were AB I'd have been pretty annoyed by that.  I understand basketball is a business, and you don't expect loyalty or sympathy from GM's or team owners.  But you kinda expect a little bit of respect from the fellow players who went out and gave blood, sweat and tears for night in, night out.  I let it go at the time, but that was a truly classless act by Thomas.

Yeah, I let it go too. It's Isaiah, it's part of his character that on the whole is very loveable. It did bother me though because it came so soon after Bradley leaving. Bradley who happened to be the longest tenured Celtic and a big supporter of Isaiah during his time there.

I have to say that whatever people currently think of this trade, if we come out well from this then Danny really did cash these guys in at the height of their value and it'll rival his summer of 07

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2017, 07:39:19 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

Apparently so. 

We could have had Butler for #3 straight up. 

Yes this would mean losing Tatum...but it would also mean we could have kept Bradley, Olynyk and perhaps Green - who were all absolutely instrumental to our playoff success last season.   

And watch AB walk for free next year!

Btw was it even possible to trade the only the pick for Butler? He ll get 18m next year....