Author Topic: Sorry for Isaiah  (Read 3217 times)

Re: Sorry for Isaiah
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2017, 11:44:16 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
We just traded away the guy that our two biggest FA acquisitions came to play with. Obviously that will change our chemistry. I don't know how you could argue otherwise.
Yeah, that's largely gratuitous speculation. Those two guys largely came for the max contract and the promise to be on a relevant team. Neither of these has gone away with the trade.

BINGO! horford and hayward got paid!

They could have gotten the same money (in Horford's case) or more (in Hayward's case) by signing elsewhere. If you think it was all about the money then you're a fool.

That said, it's equally foolish to think that it was all IT, too. It was a mix of past success (which IT was a part of), the talent on the team (which IT was a part of but Kyrie should replace) and management (both Brad and Ainge/Ainge's ability and willingness to make big moves)
I don't see how Horford or Hayward could be upset by trading future picks for NBA-ready talent.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2017, 11:52:05 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
IT was the face of the franchise and he got traded. It sucks for him because he really found his groove here. He was such a fit, culture-wise. If he stayed long term, he would've been a Celtics legend. But this is why teams aren't run by fans. DA has traded away fan favorites like AB, Crowder, IT, Perk, KG, and Pierce. That takes guts and an ability to see bigger picture.
- LilRip

« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2017, 12:35:26 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
It's definitely sad for Thomas.

After playing second fiddle in other places, he finally earned his place as the face of the franchise here and proved he is an elite offensive player worthy of a max deal. 

Then this year he took a risk by holding off on his extension in order to give the Celtics a chance to sign Hayward and improve the team...and as a thanks he gets traded straight out to Cleveland where he will play 2nd fiddle to Lebron, and his contract situation goes in to oblivion again. 

I understand that the Celtics have to make decisions for the business and I respect that, but I still feel terrible for Thomas, Bradley and Crowder - all true Celtics who have done so much for this team, and who were sacrificed for greater good of the team (hopefully). 

Thanks to Isaiah, Avery and Jae for all you have given us.  People have always said Boston has too many solid players and that we need to consolidate good players for great ones - we've just done exactly that, so lets hope it pays off.

« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2017, 01:20:16 AM »

Offline Nef-Oracle

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 5
Did IT talk himself into this trade. All the talk about Brinks Truck must have got Danny concerned if Danny did not want to pay him. 'Pay me' demands led to the trading away of Shaq by the Lakers.

that is part of it. DA was NOT gonna be left holding the bag of a HUGE contract for IT and then he stays hurt and never performs again like he did last year. DA was not risking that. he got a better younger bigger Kyrie.

Kyrie isn't better than Isaiah. Took more shots and averaged 3 points less than Isaiah, isn't even a playmaker and while being bigger he can't play D. The only positive in this trade is his age, contract and the fact that our good young players will get more playing time. Jaylen will start and Tatum, Nader and Yabusele will get on the court more than they would've. Ditto for Larkin who's going to be the primary back up for Irving

« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2017, 01:47:01 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
I don't care for Crowder at all. I wanted him gone asap after that poor showing in the postseason esp against Cleveland, and his annoying yapping on social media. Zizic was a nobody to me since he rarely got any playing time with the C's anyway.

I feel really bad for Isaiah Thomas. I really will thank him and appreciate him for helping revive the Celtics during his tenure here. But really, IT4 and Kyrie Irving are just the same talent, except the latter is younger and a better contract.

What I REALLY hated was including the BKN 2018 pick. That made me torn over this trade.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2017, 01:54:57 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
Did IT talk himself into this trade. All the talk about Brinks Truck must have got Danny concerned if Danny did not want to pay him. 'Pay me' demands led to the trading away of Shaq by the Lakers.

that is part of it. DA was NOT gonna be left holding the bag of a HUGE contract for IT and then he stays hurt and never performs again like he did last year. DA was not risking that. he got a better younger bigger Kyrie.

Kyrie isn't better than Isaiah. Took more shots and averaged 3 points less than Isaiah, isn't even a playmaker and while being bigger he can't play D. The only positive in this trade is his age, contract and the fact that our good young players will get more playing time. Jaylen will start and Tatum, Nader and Yabusele will get on the court more than they would've. Ditto for Larkin who's going to be the primary back up for Irving

Yes. he is.

In terms of skill / talent alone they are pretty much dead even, but Kyrie's 6" height advantage alone gives him the immediate (and significant) advantage that you cannot overcome.

It's difficult to quantify how much extra pressure is put on the entire lineup defensively when IT is out there.  It's a lot of effort for everybody trying to cover for all the mistmatches.  With Kyrie out there his individual defence is going to be poor, but at least he is big enough that guys can't bully him in the post or shoot right over him, which in turn allows other guys on the court to focus on defending their own man (rather than covering for IT's issues). 

I was dreading the thought of Hayward and Thomas being on the court together.  Kyrie and Hayward is not nearly as scary. 

« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2017, 02:01:34 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
Watching Isaiah jump up and down in the kitchen after the Hayward signing and then seeing this...

Man  :'(

thnaks for proving my points. you are too emotionally invested. IT IS A BUSINESS. people are blinded by emotions. it happened when we traded KG and PP.
Considering chemistry and morale actually, y'know, exist, saying that one should ignore all emotional attachments is foolish.

our chemistry will be fine. that is a foolish argument. how many times has chemistry changed over the years. hey we can have good chemistry with jerebko and amir and KO also. should be bring them back? LOL
What?

We just traded away the guy that our two biggest FA acquisitions came to play with. Obviously that will change our chemistry. I don't know how you could argue otherwise.

I'm pretty sure Horford came to Boston because of:
1. The fans (his own dad said he was in love with Boston fans)
2. The fact that Boston was so competitive

I'm pretty sure Hayward came here because:
1. The desire to play under Brad Stevens again (he pretty much said this in his open letter)
2. The fact that Boston was so competitive

I don't think IT4's presence on the team was the primary motivation for either of those two guys.   I'm sure it helped, but I don't think it was a (or the) key.

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2017, 02:04:48 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Kyrie and Hayward are good buddies  FYI.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2017, 02:36:41 AM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
I am sorry in a sense for IT, though he will still be playing basketball with Lebron and making a lot money than I do. I think he will cope. I am not sure about how this leaves things. The 2018 Brooklyn pick is the piece I least wanted to lose in this trade as IT was always going if we got Kyrie. Happy Tatum and Brown weren't part of the deal.

« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2017, 02:46:25 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I'm happy for Isaiah; he might win a championship. I wanted to see him do it in Boston, but doing it elsewhere is fine with me.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2017, 02:47:46 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
I'm happy for Isaiah; he might win a championship. I wanted to see him do it in Boston, but doing it elsewhere is fine with me.

I'd love to see them take down the Warriors if they are lucky enough to get past us (unlikely).
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.