Author Topic: Ainge: "lets see what else happens" (ended conference call on trade with that)  (Read 5955 times)

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 532
who else is on the block?
I would encourage Marcus Smart to rent.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I don't think any other moves are happening. Just filling out the roster with a veteran at some point. Danny always ends things open ended, just like he always says no player is untouchable.

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
No more big moves likely. Maybe of an end of bench veteran like Allen or Bogut.

Offline Dannys Chipotle Guy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 48
No more big moves likely. Maybe of an end of bench veteran like Allen or Bogut.
completely agree that no more big moves are likely, but the Thomas-Irving trade wasnt likely either.

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 532
Still could use a big with Zizic leaving.

Offline dysgenic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27

Umm, no.  Absolutely HAVE TO get a big.  This trade makes no sense otherwise.

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Porzingis would make sense in terms of being someone that's been rumored to be available, he's someone Ainge would like, and he makes us much better both in the short term and the long term.

The question there would be what we'd need to send to NY in order to get him, and whether or not the Knicks would be willing to trade their franchise player to a longtime rival. Not only would the Knicks be trading him to a longtime rival, but to a longtime rival that - in this scenario - would then become serious title contenders for years to come.
Porzingas makes a lot of sense for the hint Danny gave. His contract would be easy to match and the Celtics can trade a ton of picks to the Knicks. Porzingas' relationship with NYK's front office could be irreparable and he could have asked for a trade. We don't know for sure. But

To NYK: Yabusele, Larkin, LA/Sac pick, 2018 Boston pick, Memphis pick, 2020 Boston pick
To Boston: Porzingas

Irving/Rozier
Brown/Smart/Nader
Hayward/Tatum/Ojeleye
Porzinga/Morris/Theis
Horford/Baynes

Cash in those pick assets Danny!!!

I think Jaylen Brown and the Lakers pick seems like a more reasonable return from New York's perspective.

If that were to happen, then Danny would have traded an aging Pierce and Garnett into essentially Kyrie Irving, Jason Tatum, Marcus Smart, and Kristaps Porzingis

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
Porzingis would make sense in terms of being someone that's been rumored to be available, he's someone Ainge would like, and he makes us much better both in the short term and the long term.

The question there would be what we'd need to send to NY in order to get him, and whether or not the Knicks would be willing to trade their franchise player to a longtime rival. Not only would the Knicks be trading him to a longtime rival, but to a longtime rival that - in this scenario - would then become serious title contenders for years to come.
Porzingas makes a lot of sense for the hint Danny gave. His contract would be easy to match and the Celtics can trade a ton of picks to the Knicks. Porzingas' relationship with NYK's front office could be irreparable and he could have asked for a trade. We don't know for sure. But

To NYK: Yabusele, Larkin, LA/Sac pick, 2018 Boston pick, Memphis pick, 2020 Boston pick
To Boston: Porzingas

Irving/Rozier
Brown/Smart/Nader
Hayward/Tatum/Ojeleye
Porzinga/Morris/Theis
Horford/Baynes

Cash in those pick assets Danny!!!

With all due respect, if Scott Perry makes this trade, his gm career will be very short. Perhaps, a trade constructed around Brown and the Lakers pick in exchange for the prototype of the modern NBA big man, might entice the Knicks. If I'm the Knicks, I'm not moving him for anything less than 2 high quality assets.

I see that another poster beat me to it.

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
This team has so many new players that DA may want to wait a year to make any more big deals just to see how everyone meshes or at least give this team a year to mesh before they take over the East (pending Lebron moving out).
But I agree that now may be the time to cash in those chips if DA finds the right deal. I'd hate to lose Horford but he's most likely to go, along with Brown or Tatum and the LA pick, if we're to upgrade our BIGs position. I just don't see/read anything that makes sense (a lot of proposed trades make sense for us but not the other team(s).

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Man this was fun ...... :P

Bring it on Danny !

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
We'll see what happens in two weeks when Morris can be traded.

This seems like a key. If we are waiting "until the end of the summer" as Danny said in the call, then the Morris contract seems like the reason right? Are there any other constraints we face that would change between now and then?

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
https://youtu.be/SMyW0Pbr8ks

^Full ainge conference call on kyrie

Bit of a cliffhanger!
Yup

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I think the most likely scenario is Danny using the mid-level exception, as his last move of the summer.

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
I think the most likely scenario is Danny using the mid-level exception, as his last move of the summer.

Do the Celtics even have this?  Didn't they use the room to sign Baynes?

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

Umm, no.  Absolutely HAVE TO get a big.  This trade makes no sense otherwise.

I have to think Ainge is talking about a blockbuster with someone or else why make this ish trade..