Author Topic: ESPN pulls Asian announcer because his name is Robert Lee  (Read 712 times)

ESPN pulls Asian announcer because his name is Robert Lee
« on: August 22, 2017, 08:56:44 PM »

Online rondohondo

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1073

Re: ESPN pulls Asian announcer because his name is Robert Lee
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 08:58:18 PM »

Offline blink

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 266
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/aug/22/espn-pulls-announcer-robert-lee-university-virgini/

Hahahahaha, never watching ESPN again!

Ok I officially agree with you 100% on something.  hahahaha tp.

ESPN removes broadcaster from UVA game because of "Robert Lee" name
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 01:31:19 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 474
You know... I am starting to think ESPN has become a plant to make liberals look bad. They almost always manage to find the most annoying, whiny take on everything under the sun.

One of ESPN's college football announcers shares a name with the famous Confederate General Robert Lee, and he was scheduled to call the Virginia/William and Mary next week.

Fearing that they would be perceived viewed as insensitive, they switched Lee to a different game. They are framing it as a "collective decision" heavily influenced by Lee himself.

BTW the ESPN Lee is actually Asian American, so there is likely no connection between his name and General Lee's.

Not surprisingly, a lot of conservatives have jumped on this story.

https://www.si.com/tech-media/2017/08/23/robert-lee-espn-decision-pull-announcer-broadcast

Re: ESPN removes broadcaster from UVA game because of "Robert Lee" name
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 01:38:42 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 272
wow

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 01:49:26 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 857
So Lee has been switched to another game (Pittsburgh/Youngtown St) and he was in agreement with the decision? While I agree that the whole thing is pretty 'lame,' I really don't see the issue here.

Based on the headline, I was under the impression that the announcer was fired.

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 01:56:44 PM »

Offline action781

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 320
So Lee has been switched to another game (Pittsburgh/Youngtown St) and he was in agreement with the decision? While I agree that the whole thing is pretty 'lame,' I really don't see the issue here.

The issue is the overreaction to hypersensitivity.  It's not a big issue, maybe not even an issue at all.  But it's a story and a kind of pathetic one.
.................to the
Assistant ^ General Manager for the Pawnee Pacers

Tony Parker, Courtney Lee, Rudy Gay, Zach Randolph, Marc Gasol
Jeff Teague, Paul George, Trevor Ariza, Chuck Hayes, Channing Frye
Kemba Walker, Andres Nocioni, Jason Collins

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 02:01:02 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 696
If this was ESPN's idea, it seems stupid, unnecessary, and short-sighted.

If this was Robert Lee's idea, then it's really a non-story.

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 02:01:51 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Don Chaney

Do you really believe this was his decision? IMO ESPN doesn't have a lot of credibility, and it fits in with a lot of their recent narratives. I wouldn't be surprised is Lee "agreed" with them on this, but I'll bet he also felt pressure.

My problem is that this kind of stuff makes liberals look bad. I really don't think anyone would have been offended if an Asian guy named "Rob Lee" called a UVA game a month after the riots.

ESPN always seem like they're grasping to find these angles, and it is just a bad look. They claim to be inclusive and yet they always manage to be divisive, despite the fact that they are a sports outlet.

Compare that to the local Boston/New England sports talk guys. Most of them lean left, and yet they manage to not annoy the heck out of their listeners with these peculiar takes. 

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 02:04:15 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 2089
I heard about but haven't read much of the story.  It feels like a mountain being made out of a molehill, both in terms of coverage and in terms of ESPN's action.

The way it would be dumb for ESPN if true: someone decided that the optics of announcer Robert Lee in Charlottesville would be offensive.

The way it would not be dumb: Robert Lee the announcer goes to ESPN and says "You know, it's been hard having my name this week, and I'd prefer to not go to Charlottesville for obvious reasons."  Then they're just trying to accommodate an employee.

But of all the things going on in the world, both in sports and outside of it, this feels like the wrong one to gain traction.

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 02:06:12 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Don Chaney
If this was ESPN's idea, it seems stupid, unnecessary, and short-sighted.

If this was Robert Lee's idea, then it's really a non-story.

Keep in mind this was leaked internally from ESPN, it's not like Rob Lee himself came out and said this, that indeed would be different. I'm guessing someone inside thought it was ridiculous and wanted to embarrass the company. Which makes me think the leaker likely resented the orders coming from above.

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 02:10:20 PM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 132
  • Its RE-SIGN, not RESIGN
Have we considered that he may have been pulled for an entirely different reason, but somebody decided to manufacture a story out of nothing?
If you haven't heard Salsa Celtica you haven't heard Salsa

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2017, 02:11:23 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 985
  • What a Pub Should Be
ESPN pulling the guy off the telecast and the reaction to it have both been insane.

Doesn't exactly reinforce the current optics of ESPN that many have these days. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2017, 02:12:56 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Don Chaney

The issue is the overreaction to hypersensitivity.  It's not a big issue, maybe not even an issue at all.  But it's a story and a kind of pathetic one.

The other story is the decline of the "Worldwide Leader" into a joke. I used to watch them all the time back in the late 90's/early aughts. But they have really gone downhill, and their clumsy, forced takes on social issues have sucked the humor out of an organization that used to be witty and funny.

And I'm a liberal.

But ESPN used to be "lighter fare," a nice little getaway for the brain. It seems like they have just gotten so grim nowadays. And Stephen A Smith... Good Lord, it's like they're trying to torture the viewer. It has just been an epic decline.

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2017, 02:20:30 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Don Chaney
ESPN pulling the guy off the telecast and the reaction to it have both been insane.

Doesn't exactly reinforce the current optics of ESPN that many have these days.

It's sort of a microcosm of the current culture war.

ESPN cowers because they're afraid of a hypersensitive partisan reaction, then the other side finds out and piles on.

The political climate has really become this toxic. IMO it is unhealthy.

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2017, 02:23:57 PM »

Offline Moranis

• Global Moderator
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 805
ESPN has always been overly conservative but has really taken it up a notch recently.  I mean they apologized because some weirdos complained about them doing an auction style fantasy draft.  Apparently the white ESPN guys "selling" a black player created an uncomfortable optic.  They follow that up with this story.  At some point ESPN just needs to ignore the crazies
Ohio State 2014/15 National Champions.