Author Topic: To Quote What Tony Massarotti Once Said: I. HATE. THIS. TRADE.  (Read 12560 times)

Re: To Quote What Tony Massarotti Once Said: I. HATE. THIS. TRADE.
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2017, 11:21:17 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Well, also to quote Mazz (and Felger), never trade a horse for two ponies.  That's exactly what Cleveland did, traded a horse for some ponies.  I like the deal, although at first I didn't when I heard about the pick.  I'm of the belief, that pick is in the 7-11 range though and the Laker pick will be the better of the two.  I didn't see anyway they would "back the brinks truck up" for IT.  Danny cashed in one of his pony chips and got a horse.  Way to go....
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2017, 12:13:20 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Well, also to quote Mazz (and Felger), never trade a horse for two ponies.  That's exactly what Cleveland did, traded a horse for some ponies.  I like the deal, although at first I didn't when I heard about the pick.  I'm of the belief, that pick is in the 7-11 range though and the Laker pick will be the better of the two.  I didn't see anyway they would "back the brinks truck up" for IT.  Danny cashed in one of his pony chips and got a horse.  Way to go....

Yea it looks clear that they were not going to give Isaiah the max.

Question is, will Cleveland? Lot depends on if Lebron stays too.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2017, 12:40:11 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I'm done.
First it was the K. Perkins trade that cost the C's a potential championship.
Then it was Tony Allen, James Posey, Rondo, Avery Bradley, etc., and now IT.
Snake Danny "loves" all these guys- yeah right!. The minute he gets a player he's on the phone trying to trade him.
No loyalty, no pride, no tradition, no stability- just constant shuffling of the deck.
And this latest trade sucks.
I've been a fan for almost 50 years but this is really the last straw.
The best part of watching the C's this year wil be Scal and Draper, plus Tommy. But I have no interest anymore.

Bingo.

I've been looking for the post-Garnett trade Brickowski post, and this one is it.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2017, 02:01:27 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I'm done.
Snake Danny "loves" all these guys- yeah right!. The minute he gets a player he's on the phone trying to trade him.
No loyalty, no pride, no tradition, no stability- just constant shuffling of the deck.
The best part of watching the C's this year wil be Scal and Draper, plus Tommy. But I have no interest anymore.

Bingo.

I've been looking for the post-Garnett trade Brickowski post, and this one is it.

What do you think of this trade @coachbo?

Hate it? Meh? Love it?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2017, 02:11:12 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
So many emotions preventing people from seeing clearly.

« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2017, 02:23:54 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I understand that this was probably the best move for the long-term success of the organization.  But, the reality is that Ainge sucked the life out of IT, then dumped him.  I suppose that's what makes him a good GM, and I'm glad I don't have to make those decisions.  Maybe I value loyalty too high above other factors, but I have and continue to dislike Ainge for it.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2017, 02:30:18 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I understand that this was probably the best move for the long-term success of the organization.  But, the reality is that Ainge sucked the life out of IT, then dumped him.  I suppose that's what makes him a good GM, and I'm glad I don't have to make those decisions.  Maybe I value loyalty too high above other factors, but I have and continue to dislike Ainge for it.
I assume you dislike Belichick for the same reasons.

Not to assume you are a Patriots fan. I surely am not.

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2017, 02:31:27 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I'm done.
I assume you are not a Patriots fan.

« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2017, 02:33:26 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
Omg people are so emotional. Can't wait for people to quickly change their tune in the regular season. Irving is a top 10 player. Been saying it for a while. I think he's better than Harden.

It's going to be hilarious when people see how good we are as a team this season. But no one will remember that they were crushing this trade. Sad stuff. We've been starving for a star and this is how people react....Especially when you consider Brooklyn has no incentive to tank and will continue making moves throughout the season to improve their roster.

« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2017, 02:42:24 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
I don't see this as much more than a sideways trade that helps the Cavs a lot more than it does us. I don't hate the trade. I don't like it though.

Cleveland was screwed if they don't do this trade. As such, we should do a deal with Cleveland only if we clearly win the deal. I don’t think this deal meets that hurdle.

IT was easily the better player this year by the numbers and better last year too. IT was a virtual lock to re-sign. We also gave up a draft pick most likely to be a top 5 for a big in a class that appears to be strong. I also have issues regarding KI’s maturity/attitude. He's never carried a team pretty much by himself either. IT did.

Vs

Getting a younger all-star in Irving who may not have topped out yet. Basically, you get three more years of prime time play IF he re-signs at the MAX over the length of his career.

If there's a clear win there, I don't see it and there are a couple of possibilities that make it a terrible deal.

« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2017, 03:00:19 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
We lost the trade and I'm ok with it.

We were quickly becoming an older team and losing the cap flexibility Danny worked really hard to get. Missing out on Durant after signing Horford really screwed us more than I think people realize. Just imagine the moves Danny couldve made this offseason if we signed both Durant and Horford. We were becoming a win now team that wasn't good enough with a short contention window.The exact opposite of the team he was trying to build. Signing IT to the max would've handcuffed us to an aging pseudo-contender core ala Toronto and killed our cap flexibility.

Now we've extended our contention window by getting a guy whos 3 years younger, likely cheaper moving forward and is largely considered the better player. This trade only comes back to bite us if LeBron stays in Cleveland or the pick is a transcendent player.

With Kyrie we don't have to worry about his decline (barring injury) and each year Horfords contract becomes more of a tradeable asset. It makes sense If you believe Danny never wanted to pay IT the max and Horford was only signed to attract Durant. We've taken away the urgency from contending now and bought more time to make the superstar(top 5-10 player/Anthony Davis) deal Danny is looking for.

« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2017, 03:06:47 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
I'm done.

Bingo.

What do you think of this trade @coachbo?

Hate it? Meh? Love it?

I'm fine with it. Stevens will expand Kyrie's game - first time he's played for a real coach. The Nets are going to be improved, so the pick should be somewhere around 7, I would expect. Crowder is an expendable piece and Zizic looked awful in summer league. I hope Rollie isn't on suicide watch because the Lithuanian Leadfoot has been moved.

The Celtics got better last night, short term and long term. Thomas did a lot for this franchise, but this franchise did a lot for him. I'm fine with the trade. One of Ainge's better moves.

« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2017, 03:13:34 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas

Sports history is replete with franchises that cratered because they were loyal to fading stars.

The kind of loyalty a fan feels will get a coach and GM fired. Every time.

« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2017, 03:28:09 PM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115

Sports history is replete with franchises that cratered because they were loyal to fading stars.

The kind of loyalty a fan feels will get a coach and GM fired. Every time.

Agreed.  And Isiah couldn't have played in a better situation the past few years, nor could he have been traded to a better situation for the upcoming season.  Everything has been 100% optimal towards him earning a big next contract... which as he's indicated on social media is  his main goal.  While I'm thankful for what he did as a player on the team I love, he has a hell of a lot to be thankful for too.

« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2017, 04:13:08 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Those media types are just well informed fans that get paid to spout their opinions. Your own judgments are just as valid. The coaches and GMs know a lot more. At least they are SUPPOSED TO know a lot more.  :laugh: Most of them do, and they see the game a bit differently than the fans do.

The media sees the game like the fans. That isn't what the coaches, GMs and the players see. It's a lot more quantitative for them. That's also true in football and horse racing. Trainers and jockeys look at a race differently from fans and the announcers. They are looking at the trip and the splits. Announcers don't get into that stuff.

Baseball, to me, is different. When Farrell screws up, you know it.