Author Topic: To Quote What Tony Massarotti Once Said: I. HATE. THIS. TRADE.  (Read 12553 times)

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
https://twitter.com/tonymassarotti/status/753715692294242308

Mazz said that^ (link) in response to the Drew Pomeranz trade the Red Sox did last summer, and frankly, I thought the same thing about that one lol (a Top-15 prospect in ALL of MLB for a dang #3-4 starter???).

But this trade, is AWFUL. Cleveland won it.

Kyrie Irving is NOT that much better than Isaiah Thomas, and the fact that they needed to include the Brooklyn Pick in this deal (with NO protections)... YIKES. I'm not super upset about losing Zizic and Crowder (although I will miss Crowder a ton), but this deal overall.... YUCK.

Say what you want about Isaiah Thomas, but he's the ONLY reason this team made the playoffs in 2015 and made the ECF last season. He also got Hayward and Horford here and did get us a meeting with Durant that summer we got Horford too. And even after all that he's done... just seeing him traded away like this makes it look like the Celtics did him dirty.

I'm sorry, but I'm NOT a fan of this trade one bit. It will look A LOT worse if Brooklyn's pick lands 1-3 and the Cavs get any of Porter or Bagley (YUCK again...).

And what exactly is our big man depth behind Horford now? Baynes... then who?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: To Quote What Tony Massarotti Once Said: I. HATE. THIS. TRADE.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 08:54:27 PM »

Offline CelticsQuestFor18

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
Well said, I hate this trade too.

First off, there's the huge risk of whether Irving will re-sign here in 2 years, and then there's the risk of that Nets Pick landing #1 or #2 and the Cavs getting Porter/Bagley (which may also entice Lebron to stay in CLE longer). UGH.

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 08:56:22 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Well said, I hate this trade too.

First off, there's the huge risk of whether Irving will re-sign here in 2 years, and then there's the risk of that Nets Pick landing #1 or #2 and the Cavs getting Porter/Bagley (which may also entice Lebron to stay in CLE longer). UGH.

Yep, that Nets Pick is the absolute deal breaker for me. Hate it.

Oh, and here's your first TP!  ;)

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 08:58:19 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Mazz said that^ (link) in response to the Drew Pomeranz trade the Red Sox did last summer, and frankly, I thought the same thing about that one lol (a Top-15 prospect in ALL of MLB for a dang #3-4 starter???).

Kyrie Irving is NOT that much better than Isaiah Thomas, and the fact that they needed to include the Brooklyn Pick in this deal (with NO protections)... YIKES. I'm not super upset about losing Zizic and Crowder (although I will miss Crowder a ton), but this deal overall.... YUCK.

Say what you want about Isaiah Thomas, but he's the ONLY reason this team made the playoffs in 2015 and made the ECF last season. He also got Hayward and Horford here and did get us a meeting with Durant that summer we got Horford too. And even after all that he's done... just seeing him traded away like this makes it look like the Celtics did him dirty.

I'm sorry, but I'm NOT a fan of this trade one bit. It will look A LOT worse if Brooklyn's pick lands 1-3 and the Cavs get any of Porter or Bagley (YUCK again...).

Don;t listen to Massarotti...he knows very little about basketball or nhl

he should stick to baseball and football

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 09:00:40 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Don;t listen to Massarotti...he knows very little about basketball or nhl

he should stick to baseball and football

Oh don't worry I don't follow him much either.

But I just thought that Tweet/Quote related so much to the situation here and how I feel about this trade.  ;D

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 09:03:00 PM »

Offline dmopower

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 46
Love it. 

lets roll. :)

blind optimist or GENIUS

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 09:04:40 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Love it. 

Love this post or the trade?  ???

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 09:06:26 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Love it. 

Yup, I do too.  Kyrie is better than IT.  Picks are a crap shoot.  Crowder doesn't matter.  Zizic isn't even NBA level talent.

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 09:09:28 PM »

Offline Celtics978Fan

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 23
Yes this trade does look like we're giving up a lot. But we also have to look long-term to a degree.  We're getting an All-Star back and return Kyrie Irving who's 4 years younger. Not saying he doesn't have some injury history as well as Isaiah Thomas does now with a hip injury. But if you ask around the league there was never a question of Kyrie Irving being a max player. But if you ask the same question about Isaiah Thomas you would have questions. I agree the Brooklyn pick is hard to lose, but I do see the Brooklyn Nets maybe being better than we think. We also have to look at the chance we still have a top 2 - 5 pick with the Lakers pick.  Plus having our own 1st round pick this year as well.  Which means it could work out we still get a better pick then the one we're giving up.  Also in 2019 we could have both the Grizzlies and Clippers first round draft picks.

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 09:09:33 PM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
OP- I'm with you. We just made our roadblock to the finals deeper and more complete, while handing the team that has had the most fake luck of any team ever a chance at the next LeBron. This trade reaks of ownership. Can't believe Danny pushed for this one.

Yay fire...works?

I'll react like I reacted when Wyc took the stage at the Jaylen draft party..

Boooooooooooooooooooooo
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2017, 09:19:48 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Moving crowder was needed to give the kids playing time.

Signing IT to a max in the offseason would have capped this team's potential at just not enough.

Losing the brooklyn pick sucks but think of it this way. We traded the corpses of KG and Paul Pierce for Kyrie Irving. Pretty [dang] good of a trade.

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2017, 09:24:35 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Trades like this are why I just can't invest emotionally in the Celtics anymore. Just when you start to get excited for the future, you pay $1.50 on the dollar for a shoot first, no D PG.

Just awful. Never hated an Ainge trade more. Oh well, now I can ignore the Cs this year!!

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2017, 09:33:04 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Moving crowder was needed to give the kids playing time.

Signing IT to a max in the offseason would have capped this team's potential at just not enough.

Losing the brooklyn pick sucks but think of it this way. We traded the corpses of KG and Paul Pierce for Kyrie Irving. Pretty [dang] good of a trade.

Also got a Brown and Tatum LOL.

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2017, 09:39:07 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722

He also got Hayward and Horford here and did get us a meeting with Durant that summer we got Horford too. And even after all that he's done... just seeing him traded away like this makes it look like the Celtics did him dirty.

Exactly - like meat on the hoof ................... and we trade Isaiah, who loved being a Celtic, for one of the most self-centered players in the league.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2017, 09:42:28 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
The Celts made IT a star. Everywhere else he was a bench player. He should be extremely happy at what the Celts have done for him and his career AND arguably to a team destined for the NBA finals. Nothing dirty about it.