Author Topic: Can't have your cake and eat it too  (Read 533 times)

Can't have your cake and eat it too
« on: August 22, 2017, 08:27:42 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Okay, this probably isn't the best analogy but my point is, you can't have all these young guys on your team develop them, and call yourself a contender.  Seems a lot of fans continue to be enamored with rookies and potential but by the end of next year we would have had four guys drafted in the lottery and Hayward and IT and hordord who are all win now guys.  Just doesn't work if you're not a real contender because by the time the guys get good enough (if they ever do), the older guys are old or overpriced.  So either win now or win later but very very hard to do both.

I admit that giving up the Brooklyn pick stings a little but the odds are THAT guy won't be a franchise player either. Not as good as kyrie in the immediate time or in the future.  If you look at the top picks we got, they're okay, good prospects.  Brown is trending toward flashy guy that may be good, maybe not.  Cerrtainky not sure-fire all star.  Tatum I like a little better, and like him in the team, but not world beater either.  So each year we think we might get the next franchise guy but the odds just aren't likely.  Would next year have been the year?  It's possible, but not likely.

So I'm fine with the trade.  We're going all in and would not be surprised if we traded either brown or the lakers pick for a win now guy.  As for the cavs, we may have helped them (while helping ourselves) but Lebron is on that team so next year might have been out of reach too.  And after that?  I think he's gone gone gone.

Re: Can't have your cake and eat it too
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 09:28:22 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I guess my post went over people's heads.  But looking at DA's quote just now, he supports what I am thinking.  He said that Kyrie fits our timeline, which is a big part of this move.