Author Topic: Talk me off the ledge....  (Read 13884 times)

Re: Talk me off the ledge....
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2017, 09:24:33 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I posted this on 8/15 and stand by it :

Cleveland becomes a lot stronger/deeper this year and IT AND Crowder.....could make LeBaby stay.

On top of that, trading the guy H and H came here to play with in IT?

Bad, Bad juju.

No thanks.

PLUS the BK 18?!?!?!? un****gprotected!!!!!

This trade could come back and bite us for years to come in the ass especially if LeBron stays because of it.

Cleveland needed to trade Kyrie why does this trade seem like they had the position  of strength?. Just gives Cleveland hope for now and in the future.

« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2017, 09:36:25 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Wowzer. This is the best thing I have heard yet to keep you off the ledge:

From Bobby Marks:-

"Kyrie Irving is eligible to have his contract extended next summer but only with an increase to $24.1M, roughly $8M below his projected max in 2019. Irving could also have his contract renegotiated in July but the Celtics are projected to be over the salary cap."

Most people are saying we have an agreement that he will extend, although that does seem super strange that he would commit now to leaving 8 million on the table :/
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2017, 09:39:30 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Wowzer. This is the best thing I have heard yet to keep you off the ledge:

From Bobby Marks:-

"Kyrie Irving is eligible to have his contract extended next summer but only with an increase to $24.1M, roughly $8M below his projected max in 2019. Irving could also have his contract renegotiated in July but the Celtics are projected to be over the salary cap."

Most people are saying we have an agreement that he will extend, although that does seem super strange that he would commit now to leaving 8 million on the table :/
Just leak spin from the Celts front office. I'll believe it when I see it

« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2017, 09:45:48 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
The only thing I can say is that we have Brad Stevens.  If he signed off on this, and he thinks he can make Kyrie even better than he already is, this looks a lot better.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2017, 09:48:06 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Here take my hand...

...1. We were not paying IT $35 mil a year and 2. He's 29 going on 30 coming off a hip injury. and 3. Kyrie is 25 and not even in his prime yet.

Welcome back.

1. That's true, mostly because the max he can get will be 30% of the cap and the cap isn't rising to $116 million next year.  He literally can't get $35 million per year

2. He's 28 and turns 29 in February.  That is not "29 going on 30"
3. No arguments there
I'm bitter.

« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2017, 10:04:40 PM »

Offline the TRUTH

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 77
Zicic hasn't shown much of anything yet. Doesn't seem like he'd get significant minutes on a team looking to contend. Crowder is a great role player, but the C's have more than enough players that can fulfill his role. It also gives the younger guys more chance to shine.

For me, the element that breaks or makes this trade is the pick. If the Nets can bounce back and have a decent season and send that pick outside the top 8, this trade is win for me. Anywhere in the top 5 and I think it's an L.

I agree with this for the most part in that it all comes down to where that pick lands. We definitely got the best player in this deal, and if Ainge loves Brown and Tatum's future, then a Irving is a great running mate for those guys for the next 7-8 years.

My issue here is that the Cavs had zero leverage here, yet still got a great deal. Did we really need to include the Brooklyn pick (as opposed to one of our other picks) AND leave it unprotected? That seems like a steep price when the Cavs had zero leverage and we had more assets than any other team in the league.

Think about what OKC gave up for Paul George (I realize he's older than Irving and only has one year remaining on his deal), and what we gave up for Irving far exceeds that. That concerns me. I love Ainge, but this will be a career-defining deal for him.

« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2017, 10:09:38 PM »

Offline the TRUTH

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 77
The Brooklyn pick was the straw that broke the camels back for me. Not a fan of loosing that pick.

Kyrie is not only better than IT, he's younger, already signed, and ended last year healthy.

IT most likely needed to be operated on at the end of last season, he delayed the operation to try to get the "Brinks Truck" backing into his driveway. Players don't sign Max contracts recuperating on their back in the Hospital, and IT knew it. Somewhere in he next 18 months IT will need to be operated on. He will not be the same player in his 30's as he was last year.

Crowder is a player I would have liked to keep. But with Tatum and Brown maturing, he would eventually be sitting on the bench.

I know we have some hardcore fans of Zizic, IMO he is years away from being a contributing member of any NBA team. Incredibly slow getting off his feet.

I hated giving up the Nets pick, for me it would have been the deal breaker. The question must be asked, what other better options did the Cavs have, that we needed to include the pick.

Exactly. The only thing I can think of is Ainge might have been worried that LeBron and Kyrie would mend the fences, Kyrie stays in Cleveland, the Cavs win the title - or come very close to doing so - this year, and LeBron decides to stay. If Ainge thought this was the only way to guarantee LeBron heads West next summer, then this makes a lot more sense.

« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2017, 10:14:05 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I cannot, but please do not jump.

« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2017, 10:19:36 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
edit: Reading is hard.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2017, 10:24:29 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
come on down .....times are good

the party is just getting started

all aboard the Irving / Hayward train .....choo choo ... ;D

« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2017, 10:27:02 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Just ignore the last few years, I guess. If somebody told you we'd trade the aging KG and Pierce, along with spare parts, for Kyrie, Tatum, Brown and a likely lottery pick, you'd be pretty excited, right?

That's the best I've got.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2017, 10:27:21 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
wow! I knew this board overrated our players, but the reaction to getting the best player in a trade in which we just got rid of a bunch of players that are easily replaceable is ludicrous.

in case any of you don't know though -

jae crowder has done nothing for this team since his 1st season here. if he stayed any longer all he'd be doing is taking mins. away from guys that can actually play like Brown and Tatum.

ante zizic dominated a bunch of guys in Europe that wouldn't even make the D-league. as soon as he came over and played here in summer league, guess what? he looked average... and that's being generous.

the Brooklyn pick sucks, but you have to give up something. and I actually think this says a lot about what they think about tatum and brown.

everybody here is butt-hurt for no reason. we got the better deal.   

If only NBA teams were built in a video game. This trade was terrible. The C's will take a step back next season.

MELT! lol
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2017, 10:31:00 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Yeah... Sorry I can't. I'm on the ledge too.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2017, 10:47:13 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Here take my hand...

...1. We were not paying IT $35 mil a year and 2. He's 29 going on 30 coming off a hip injury. and 3. Kyrie is 25 and not even in his prime yet.

Welcome back.

1. That's true, mostly because the max he can get will be 30% of the cap and the cap isn't rising to $116 million next year.  He literally can't get $35 million per year

2. He's 28 and turns 29 in February.  That is not "29 going on 30"
3. No arguments there

You are one of the cap kings around here so you should know better, BJ.

Just based on this year's $99M cap, a player in the 7-9 year range signing a 5 year max contract with 8% raises would make a total of just over $172M over the course of that contract ($34.4M/yr). There just needs to be a $1M increase in the cap next year for IT to sign a $35M/yr contract.

Personally, I don't think Danny was ever going to sign IT to the max and I don't think Cleveland will either. Cleveland will give it one big last shot this year and then immediately look to rebuild with a prime pick. That is [unfortunately] why the price was so high. I know I was wrong about what we had to give up (overrating IT's value, underrating Kyrie's 'trade demand' value).

« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2017, 10:51:48 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Just ignore the last few years, I guess. If somebody told you we'd trade the aging KG and Pierce, along with spare parts, for Kyrie, Tatum, Brown and a likely lottery pick, you'd be pretty excited, right?

That's the best I've got.

Is that what we really did here? Did Crowder, IT and Zizic come out of the PP KG trades? People tend to forget we suffered through years of Wallace on the bench making $10 million to get these assets from BKN.