Author Topic: Talk me off the ledge....  (Read 14052 times)

Re: Talk me off the ledge....
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2017, 07:50:32 PM »

Offline BostonClamCrowdah

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 14
We still have Brown, Tatum, and the Laker/76er pick

"Mortgaged our future" is just stupid and wrong

We got younger and better

Stop being homers

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2017, 07:51:27 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
I am now a huge Nets fan

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2017, 07:53:13 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
The Brooklyn pick was the straw that broke the camels back for me. Not a fan of loosing that pick.

Kyrie is not only better than IT, he's younger, already signed, and ended last year healthy.

IT most likely needed to be operated on at the end of last season, he delayed the operation to try to get the "Brinks Truck" backing into his driveway. Players don't sign Max contracts recuperating on their back in the Hospital, and IT knew it. Somewhere in he next 18 months IT will need to be operated on. He will not be the same player in his 30's as he was last year.

Crowder is a player I would have liked to keep. But with Tatum and Brown maturing, he would eventually be sitting on the bench.

I know we have some hardcore fans of Zizic, IMO he is years away from being a contributing member of any NBA team. Incredibly slow getting off his feet.

I hated giving up the Nets pick, for me it would have been the deal breaker. The question must be asked, what other better options did the Cavs have, that we needed to include the pick.

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2017, 07:53:55 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
  • GOT IT!!!
You think LeBron and IT won't have extra motivation to play the C's now? Can't believe this happened.

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2017, 07:54:05 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
1. Lakers will still be bad, solid chance of it coming our way.
2. If not, look at the kings roster and come back and tell me how good they will be next year.
3. IT is an expiring contract (less value), coming off potential recurring hip injury vs Irving with longer term contract, bigger on defense and like IT he breaks down defenses. Kyrie is better long term.
4. We have a Brown and Tatum to develop, taking on 2 high draft picks to integrate would be challenging, this gives us more focus on these players.
5. We can now have room to extend Smart, who is a good player.
6. If we were going to trade a nets pick, i feel this is the one considering our team development timeline.

I feel I am the biggest Danny defender, but I am completely dumbfounded by this.

To you points:

3. His defensive + is negligible. And he takes plays off, unlike IT.
4. Wow, really? That is the thing getting me off the ledge?
5. This gives us no more flexibility to extend Smart whatsoever.
6. No. That Nets pick is going to be Top 5 guaranteed. Lakers/Sac is still a longer shot at a high pick.

Things that will help me stay away from the ledge:

1. We have a nice 2 year look at Kyrie. If he falters, we can let him walk in FA. Pick up a good value PG (of which there are millions) for Horford's last year, and by which time Brown and Tatum will be getting closer to their prime.

2. We can rest players against the Nets. Scratch that: we can get the Claws to play the Nets.

That's about it at the moment.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2017, 08:03:36 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
Can't believe we leveraged our future for a 2 year rental. Can not believe we gave up the Brooklyn pick!! And how does the team feel about losing IT???

On paper this sucks bad. Marginal upgrade at the deepest position in the nbA.

Nice job Danny, hand the team with LeBron a chance at the next LeBron.

I love Kyrie, but this suuuuuuuuuucks!
How long would the Celtics have had IT? I think for ainge he wasn't going to extend IT.  Or at least this is what I tell myself.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2017, 08:03:49 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
wow! I knew this board overrated our players, but the reaction to getting the best player in a trade in which we just got rid of a bunch of players that are easily replaceable is ludicrous.

in case any of you don't know though -

jae crowder has done nothing for this team since his 1st season here. if he stayed any longer all he'd be doing is taking mins. away from guys that can actually play like Brown and Tatum.

ante zizic dominated a bunch of guys in Europe that wouldn't even make the D-league. as soon as he came over and played here in summer league, guess what? he looked average... and that's being generous.

the Brooklyn pick sucks, but you have to give up something. and I actually think this says a lot about what they think about tatum and brown.

everybody here is butt-hurt for no reason. we got the better deal.     

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2017, 08:03:57 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Geez, I run out to get some food for the wife and myself, and this happens.  Man you can't blink around here.

I like this trade, the big loss is the pick but no guarantee it's Bagley.

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2017, 08:05:17 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
You think LeBron and IT won't have extra motivation to play the C's now? Can't believe this happened.
Yeah. Opening night is going to be crazy for sure.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2017, 08:05:32 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
  • GOT IT!!!
wow! I knew this board overrated our players, but the reaction to getting the best player in a trade in which we just got rid of a bunch of players that are easily replaceable is ludicrous.

jae crowder has done nothing for this team since his 1st season here. if he stayed any longer all he'd be doing is taking mins. away from guys that can actually play like Brown and Tatum.

ante zizic dominated a bunch of guys in Europe that wouldn't even make the D-league. as soon as he came over and played here in summer league, guess what? he looked average... and that's being generous.

the Brooklyn pick sucks, but you have to give up something. and I actually think this says a lot about what they think about tatum and brown.

If only NBA teams were built in a video game. This trade was terrible. The C's will take a step back next season.

« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2017, 08:09:44 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
OK, here are the quick pros and cons after having thought this through:

Pros:

1) Kyrie and IT are at least equivalent players. Even though IT is a fan favorite, trading him for Kyrie makes all the sense in the world given age, health, contract status.

2) Jaylen Brown is a stud and it is time for him to start

3) Tatum is also possible stud and will need minutes at the 3/4

4) Some roster spots are freed up

Cons

1) Brooklyn pick is #1

2) Brooklyn pick is #2

3) Brooklyn pick is #3

4) Brooklyn pick is #4

5) LA pick is #1

6) LA pick is #6

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2017, 08:10:14 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen

If only NBA teams were built in a video game. This trade was terrible. The C's will take a step back next season.

wow you clearly think a lot of jae crowder. because at worst IT and Irving are a wash... which isn't the case at all.

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2017, 08:12:21 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
bet the cavs try to get carmello now....

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2017, 08:13:51 PM »

Offline BostonClamCrowdah

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 14
KYRIEEEEEEE

LETS GOOOOO

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2017, 08:17:26 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
all you guys poo-pooing this trade, look at it this way there's a whole bunch of guys here like yabusele and ojelaye that you guys can move onto and overrate now.