Author Topic: ShamWow: Celtics + Cavs actively talking Kyrie/IT swap (UPDATE: Deal Done Did)  (Read 47209 times)

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
So if I have this right, Brooklyn picks have netted Boston: Young, Brown, Tatum, Irving, LAL 18.

Even better, 100 year olds in PP, KG and and JT netted us all of this! Still makes me a little sad because of who we parted with but, my gosh, not even the most positive poster at the time of the trade could have predicted this outcome!

I'm nitpicking but Crowder and I believe Zizic weren't part of the KG, Pierce, and Terry trade.  So getting Irving is not 100% a result of that Nets trade.

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I have to give Danny credit for pulling off this trade. This was Danny’s James Harden trade that he couldn’t make when Harden was made available by Oklahoma City. I remember Danny mentioning that he never wanted to be in that position again, to not have the assets to complete a trade for a franchise player that was on the trading block.

Offline mspring

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 11
So if I have this right, Brooklyn picks have netted Boston: Young, Brown, Tatum, Irving, LAL 18.

Even better, 100 year olds in PP, KG and and JT netted us all of this! Still makes me a little sad because of who we parted with but, my gosh, not even the most positive poster at the time of the trade could have predicted this outcome!

I'm nitpicking but Crowder and I believe Zizic weren't part of the KG, Pierce, and Terry trade.  So getting Irving is not 100% a result of that Nets trade.

Offline mspring

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 11
I was thinking about this trade and you can analyze it a number of different ways, but one thought I had was that if you go back to when we traded Rondo to Dallas and when we traded for IT you could look at this trade as Rondo, Marcus Thornton, Skal Labissiere, Ante Zizic, and the 2018 Brooklyn 1st for Kyrie Irving and Terry Rozier.

I realize there are other pieces involved but they are more minor pieces.  If this trade was presented to us at the time I think we would have been ecstatic because we would see it as a major upgrade in talent, and a case of quality over quantity.

I believe this trade was made possible because of how Stevens was able to get the most/best out of 2 players that were practically given away in IT and Crowder.  Not to take away from their work ethic and commitment to getting better, but Stevens has proven to be able to put players in position to excel and outperform their games compared to their previous teams.

With this in mind I wonder how he will be able to take proven talent like Hayward and Irving and put them in an even better position to improve their games.  I am excited to see what he can do with them!

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Didnt know IT4 and Love played together in HS

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
Didnt know IT4 and Love played together in HS
Yep and IT even stayed at Love's house on occasion because the AAU team was really far away from IT.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Anybody else think Danny was not being truthful about shopping IT4 around for a top 6 pick in the 2016 draft? (For Buddy Hield)

I think Mcmullen first broke out the rumor

Danny is a savvy but sly businessman... Cold, Frugal

Re: ShamWow: Celtics + Cavs actively talking Kyrie/IT swap (UPDATE: Deal Done Did)
« Reply #502 on: September 09, 2017, 06:05:23 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2912
  • On To Banner 18!
This thread still gives me nightmares.

I took a long nap (like 3 hours lol), then woke up around 6:30 PM EST and immediately saw on Facebook (from Bleacher Report), "Cavs and C's actively talking Kyrie-Isaiah trade swap".

I was like, "oh, this again..." (b/c we'd been hearing it for a while but I thought it was never going to happen and I preferred it stayed that way).

BUT then, I scroll down and suddenly everyone is talking about it (Sportscenter, ESPN, NBATV, etc. etc.), and I check Twitter and Shams and Woj and everyone are discussing it.  :o

Still didn't think it would happen, but it was an exciting-yet-nerve wracking time (I mean, it was a pretty boring August NBA-wise lol).

Then I go to play tennis with my sister and some friends outside our apartment. In that hour we played, the trade was made and official. I checked my phone at the end of the hour and found out 30 mins ago the deal was done from WEEI and every other site/reporter.  :o

This was a very hectic time and it stayed hectic for much of the next 2 weeks (Isaiah's injury, Cavs compensation, us overpaying, etc.). But it still felt dirty to make this trade after all Isaiah has done for us, and lets be real, NO ONE saw this coming before the summer. NO ONE. And yet it happens on some completely random day in August lol.

Anyways, just looking back at some old threads and seeing this one just gives me a lot of mixed feelings. Even if you read all the posts within this thread, many weren't happy that this deal was being discussed/about to happen.

And this was me right before going to tennis:

DID I REALLY JUST WAKE UP FROM A LONG NAP TO SEE THIS...  >:(

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
It's kind of funny reading the posts made on this thread (including from me)  :laugh:

I know it's early, but 5 games and about 2 weeks in, anyone's thoughts change about this trade?

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
It's kind of funny reading the posts made on this thread (including from me)  :laugh:

I know it's early, but 5 games and about 2 weeks in, anyone's thoughts change about this trade?
You can't really do much analyzing until you see what Thomas looks like when he comes back. 

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

You can't really do much analyzing until you see what Thomas looks like when he comes back.

Yeah that's honestly true.

I hated giving up the BKN pick a lot but so far BKN hasn't looked that horrible (granted it's still early but there seem to be A LOT more bad teams than before especially in the East).

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

That is not true. If the Nets are sitting around .500 in a watered down east in January you can analyze that a lot as legit lost expected value for the Cavs even if IT has not played. 

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Eh... honestly this is a very shallow look at the trade.  You make it because you don't want to pay IT his max money long term foremost and nothing has changed there in any case.

Meanwhile, Kyrie starting to really produce and his defense is substantially better than IT's ever was already.  They can pay him less than IT when his next contract comes up.  The trade was great.

Meanwhile, the Nets look better.  Celtics picked up that Lakers pick.  Everyone should be very happy.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Eh... honestly this is a very shallow look at the trade.  You make it because you don't want to pay IT his max money long term foremost and nothing has changed there in any case.

Meanwhile, Kyrie starting to really produce and his defense is substantially better than IT's ever was already.  They can pay him less than IT when his next contract comes up.  The trade was great.

Meanwhile, the Nets look better.  Celtics picked up that Lakers pick.  Everyone should be very happy.
Um, there is no way Irving signs for less money than Thomas.  The trade just delayed that money 1 year.

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Um, there is no way Irving signs for less money than Thomas.  The trade just delayed that money 1 year.

Who would you feel comfortable giving max money to.... Kyrie or IT?

I love IT, but you have to give a max to Kyrie, especially since he's a 20/6 player that is 25.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different