Author Topic: ShamWow: Celtics + Cavs actively talking Kyrie/IT swap (UPDATE: Deal Done Did)  (Read 47211 times)

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Amusing to see the Boston media's automatic negative reaction to this deal on twitter. Almost as though they felt obligated.

The twitter vote is split 50/50 for and against the trade. A lot of understandable sentiment for IT--and also Crowder. Both have given some great years on the cheap in Boston, and should be applauded.

I'll take Ainge's side on this one. Irving has a favorable contract similar to Butler which fits under the cap, with Horford and Hayward. IT is talking max after this year, and the Celts can't afford him. Which I suspect is the major driving force for the deal--from Ainge's standpoint. There is also the question of IT's hip, which apparently was not a factor in the deal.

The Cavs? Well, Irving wanted out--and he wanted Boston. The Celtics had some pieces of interest long range to the Cavs. Crowder's favorable contract, the Nets 18 pick, Zizic (whom I view as a project), and one year of IT.

Crowder became expendable with Hayward signed. Zizic never figured for much PT this year, and they have the Lakers or Kings pick '18 or '19.

I would agree with Danny. I think they are better.

Celtics fans whined and botched and moaned about rondo not leaving too.  They get too attached for their on good.  Watch kyrie Irving play then watch IT play.  Kyrie is an Alpha!

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
So if I have this right, Brooklyn picks have netted Boston: Young, Brown, Tatum, Irving, LAL 18.

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
So if I have this right, Brooklyn picks have netted Boston: Young, Brown, Tatum, Irving, LAL 18.

Forgot about James Young.

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

Who's Young?
James Young

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

Even better, 100 year olds in PP, KG and and JT netted us all of this! Still makes me a little sad because of who we parted with but, my gosh, not even the most positive poster at the time of the trade could have predicted this outcome!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
https://twitter.com/snorrance/status/900196493738614786

Read the next 3 replies on that tweet

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
https://twitter.com/snorrance/status/900196493738614786

Read the next 3 replies on that tweet

Wow.

Really hope that guy can emotionally recover after the shocking accusation of mansplaining.  ::)
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

Offline MaxAMillion

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 16
Kyrie is now our PG leader with multiple NBA finals appearances under his belt.  We lost this trade from an asset standpoint but we could afford to do so.  What this does is put us over the hump and gives our young players a rock solid core to grow around.  Lost the battle to give us a chance to win the war.

They were not over staffed with wings who could hit a three point shot.
Giving up the draft pick was ridiculous.

If Kyrie had led his team to the Finals, maybe I'd agree.

But, Kyrie didn't lead that team. Before Lebron, he was leading his team deep into the lottery. I don't think he's the type of guy who carries a team.

I have to do this Roy...

The same can be said for Demarcus Cousins.

I wouldn't trade IT, Crowder, Zizic and an unprotected #1 for DMC, either.

That's more than we paid for KG and Ray, combined.

Danny didn't want to pay IT. If Cleveland wants IT more than any other team, they could have had him after this season for nothing. Danny also must have thought that BKN would be better this year. Crowder and Zizic are nice pieces for CLE.

I think you might be underestimating how good Kyrie is. It comes down whether he stays for the long term, as the BKN pick is the real asset being traded here. It's a gamble vs a sure thing in Kyrie. This kid is young enough that he hasn't hit his prime and should be one of the best ball handler/scorers in the NBA for 7+ years.

Bingo ..... you read DA mind ......DA is going for  a title ......Irving is the  better short and long term asset in that regard .    IT is a huge risk .....at a max to stay healthy and for go a chance at Irving ..

The future is much more clear now.......we were over staffed with wings ......Crowder was a trade waiting to,happen for tye right deal. 

The IT .....keep him or trade him .....what to do .....the issue would be tossed around everyday and all year .  Now that major headache is out of the way. The path of core players is coming together now .

Focus now on winning and not Brinks trucks and bad hips.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
FIREWORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
A Sherrod thinks Crowder is "young talent" (listed him with Tatum) and that the Lakers pick can be  no. 1. He is so useless...

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/blakely-celtics-pull-another-steal-getting-kyrie-irving-cavs
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219

We wanted 'em. We got 'em.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

This is what Wyc wanted...

Listen, Celts werent begging the Cavs for this deal to happen... Otherwise they would included Tatum from the start

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
If Isaiah in our system finishes second in the league in scoring, what are the odds that Kyrie could lead the league?
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I wonder what other packages were out there.

Cavs just landed an All-Star and the unprotected draft pick from the worst team in the league. Not to mention a solid roleplayer in Crowder and a decent prospect in Zizic.

Could any other team even come close to that offer? If not, we got fleeced.

Apparently the Suns offered: Bledsoe, Bender, and the 2018 Heat 1st, but the Cavs were holding out for Jackson instead of Bender.

The pieces can be twisted to match up pretty evenly (Crowder would be the extra here), but it seems the Cs package blew away the Suns package and I suppose Danny has earned that right with all of his previous shrewd moves.

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
If Isaiah in our system finishes second in the league in scoring, what are the odds that Kyrie could lead the league?

Not wonderful with the recent signing of Hayward. However, with Houston adding CP3 and OKC adding George, his other top competitors also received quite a bit of 'help.'