Author Topic: ShamWow: Celtics + Cavs actively talking Kyrie/IT swap (UPDATE: Deal Done Did)  (Read 47333 times)

Offline masshlx

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
I'm beery and like this trade.
Tomorrow I may feel different.

Does beer help make the trade look better?

I better check
Your result may vary.
More in the sandwich, please.

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2728976-isaiah-thomas-hip-injury-reportedly-was-significant-concern-for-celtics

And there it is:

Isaiah Thomas was forced to miss the final three games of May's Eastern Conference Finals with a hip injury. As it turns out, that ailment may have factored into the Boston Celtics' decision to trade him to the Cleveland Cavaliers on Tuesday in exchange for Kyrie Irving.

According to ESPN.com's Jeff Goodman, the Celtics harbored "significant concern" about the state of Thomas' hip before shipping him to the Cavaliers along with Jae Crowder, Ante Zizic and the Brooklyn Nets' 2018 first-round pick. 

Between this deal and Brad talking about IT potentially not being ready for training camp yesterday, I'm guessing IT's hip prognosis is not as good as he was reporting early in the summer.

If this is true, then it makes sense why it cost the Brooklyn pick in addition to the others.

The timing of all of this definitely does suggest that there's significant concern about his hip, and Cleveland is risking it because the Brooklyn pick is the main asset for them in the trade. They could very well end up punting this year if IT's hip flares up again.
As recently as a couple of days ago, there was talk that Thomas' hip will need to be reassessed in September. I think that he won't be ready for start of season, and this hip is a ticking time bomb anyhow. Hopefully he passes the physical.

Here's the thing - would they turn down the trade even if he doesn't pass the physical? I'm not sure they would, because I don't think they'll get a better asset than that Brooklyn pick. None of the other rumored offers beat this Celtics deal even with IT not passing a physical.

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2728976-isaiah-thomas-hip-injury-reportedly-was-significant-concern-for-celtics

And there it is:

Isaiah Thomas was forced to miss the final three games of May's Eastern Conference Finals with a hip injury. As it turns out, that ailment may have factored into the Boston Celtics' decision to trade him to the Cleveland Cavaliers on Tuesday in exchange for Kyrie Irving.

According to ESPN.com's Jeff Goodman, the Celtics harbored "significant concern" about the state of Thomas' hip before shipping him to the Cavaliers along with Jae Crowder, Ante Zizic and the Brooklyn Nets' 2018 first-round pick. 

Between this deal and Brad talking about IT potentially not being ready for training camp yesterday, I'm guessing IT's hip prognosis is not as good as he was reporting early in the summer.

If this is true, then it makes sense why it cost the Brooklyn pick in addition to the others.

The timing of all of this definitely does suggest that there's significant concern about his hip, and Cleveland is risking it because the Brooklyn pick is the main asset for them in the trade. They could very well end up punting this year if IT's hip flares up again.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but a PT friend of mine is VERY well versed in the hip (labral tears is a speciality of his) and he was legit surprised when IT didn't get surgery. He said they could manage symptoms but he's pretty much a lock develop arthritis in the hip at some point. With his level of activity, clean up surgery is almost inevitable. In his words: "he's having at least 1 hip arthroscopy down the line. A matter of 'when', not 'if'."
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Is the physical exam waived??

What if IT4 cant pass it ?

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
i, for one, welcome uncle drew with open arms
I trust Danny Ainge

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Also Cleveland will be in rebuild mode when le bRon leaves

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
I am sick over this - and very concerned about the special chemistry we had.

Irving is a self-centered head case.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
IT4>Kyrie and he's not a cancer

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Hey. Which of these players do you prefer going forward? Ante Zizic, Zach Collins, Lauri Markanen.

If you picked Zizc first or 2nd then we just gave up a top ten pick in this trade as well.

If you like him better than Bam Adebayo then we gave up a lotto pick

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Hey. Which of these players do you prefer going forward? Ante Zizic, Zach Collins, Lauri Markanen.

If you picked Zizc first or 2nd then we just gave up a top ten pick in this trade as well.

Zizic looked slow in forward, backward and lateral movement. He showed no shot to speak of. His footwork was bad. His defense on switches was pathetically late. And, he is going to be a fouling machine. Refs are goung to give him fouls every minute he is on the floor. In my opinion, Zizic was a pick in the 20's throw in. I was thoroughly unimpressed by him in summer league.

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
No, he just likes to harp about his max contract from time to time.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Zach Collins.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
ESPN said the Celtics did their homework regarding Kyrie, I assume it means the behind the scenes stuff...making sure he isn't a cancer, dumb, an ass, etc. Glad they did that. Since they determined Kyrie was no problem, that makes me feel better about the trade.

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
ESPN said the Celtics did their homework regarding Kyrie, I assume it means the behind the scenes stuff...making sure he isn't a cancer, dumb, an ass, etc. Glad they did that. Since they determined Kyrie was no problem, that makes me feel better about the trade.

I feel like Jaylen is going to have a helluva time with this flat earth Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline..

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550

keep melting brother LOL
LET'S GO CELTICS!