Author Topic: If Wade Joined Cavs (via buyout) Would They Be Better?  (Read 2786 times)

If Wade Joined Cavs (via buyout) Would They Be Better?
« on: August 22, 2017, 03:34:44 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Would Dwyane Wade actually improve the Cavs if he joined them via buyout?

I know he was decent last year, at least on paper when he played, but his defense is questionable at best these days and his fit with LeBron, Kyrie, and Love is even harder to figure than when he and LBJ were on the Heat together.

This question comes apropos of some reports that Wade might be bought out and would then join the Cavs.

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/08/22/report-people-close-to-lebron-james-fairly-confident-dwyane-wade-will-join-cavaliers/
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: If Wade Joined Cavs (via buyout) Would They Be Better?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 03:36:07 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Wade is better than Smith and Shumpert, so yeah I think he would make them better, but not better than the Warriors.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 03:46:20 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
But given his poor shooting, questionable defense, and need to have the ball, aren't the main guys -- Irving, Bron, Love, Thompson -- better with Smith, or some other 3-and-D guy, than Wade?

Can you even realistically play Wade w/ Korver and whoever else they have on that bench who can't defend or move particularly well anymore (Frye? Jefferson?).

I suppose he can help their bench score during the regular season, which may give them more of a chance at securing the #1 seed (not that it's likely to matter).
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 04:20:17 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Nope, he is old and on the decline.  Who cares, I want the Cavs to do poorly so we can get into the finals and have a punchers chance.

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 04:21:28 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
But given his poor shooting, questionable defense, and need to have the ball, aren't the main guys -- Irving, Bron, Love, Thompson -- better with Smith, or some other 3-and-D guy, than Wade?

Can you even realistically play Wade w/ Korver and whoever else they have on that bench who can't defend or move particularly well anymore (Frye? Jefferson?).

I suppose he can help their bench score during the regular season, which may give them more of a chance at securing the #1 seed (not that it's likely to matter).
I would assume Irving won't be there, not that he fits any better with Rose either.  I think Wade would go there and start over Smith, and if they get a better defending PG instead of Irving (like say Bledsoe), I think Wade would be fine there as the starting SG. 

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 05:08:01 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Yeah, he'd help. Somebody who can make his own offense when Lebron sits would make them better.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 05:26:54 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I actually think he may make them a little worse. Their number 1 problem is definitely defense and he is a very mediocre defensive player. I would personally think they would be better off playing Shumpert alongside Korver and Rose with bench units (or with Lebron playing with the bench for that matter).

Wade shot 31% from 3 last year. Hardly thought of as a shooter, this is actually worse than what Shumpert shot last year (36%). Also Jr Smith definitely fell off a cliff last year shooting, but even 31% was worse than off a cliff Smith last year.

Wade's fit alongside Rose is also awful as others have mentioned. Finally, how is this impacting their roster? Just about every trade we have seen proposed for Kyrie has been for two players (or occasionally 3). Their roster seems to be as below right now. Maybe they can successfully get rid of Shumpert as part of a Kyrie deal or maybe they do a salary dump with Channing Frye. However, given that they have few assets to sweeten a deal with that may be pretty hard to do.

In my opinion making a series of additional roster moves to try and sign a 35 year Wade a few months after they signed Rose to a one year contract will create a minutes crunch in the backcourt with Smith/Bledsoe/Rose for 4 guys that all want to play close to 30 minutes a game (34 for Bledsoe) is just going to create lots of issues for very little upside....

I honestly think they would be better served waiting for the buyout market and/or someone like Carmelo that becomes availability and better fits their needs.

1) Lebron
2) Love
3) Jr Smith
4) Tristan Thompson
5) Shumpert
6) Jeff Green
7) Derrick Rose
8) Richard Jefferson
9) Channing Frye
10) Cedi Osman
11) Kyle Korver
12) Bledsoe
13) player from Suns
14) Jose Calderon
15) Kay Felder
16) Wade?

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 05:35:02 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Can you even realistically play Wade w/ Korver and whoever else they have on that bench who can't defend or move particularly well anymore (Frye? Jefferson?).[/b]

Phosita this is my read as well. He is definitely a name, but when you look at fit and their roster it just doesn't make any sense. What is their guard rotation with Wade

Bledsoe (or other starting point guard acquired for Irving): 34 Minutes (he is not going to want to play much less than this coming up on a contract opportunity)

Rose: 30 minutes (on a one year minimum contract hard to see him happy playing less than this)

Jr Smith: 25-30 minutes (who knows what Smith thinks, he is a loose cannon, but he has almost never played less than 27 minutes since he came into his own and is still 31)

Wade: 30 minutes? 25? He obviously isn't giving up massive money in a buyout to be a cheerleader

Calderon: Would he expect to play 5 minutes a game given his elite spot up 3 point shooting alongside Lebron? Would not think they would sign him first day of free agency to never play..

That right there is at like 120-125 minutes for 96 minutes available for two guard spots. Maybe they are going on tiny but Bledsoe, Rose and Wade playing together would be a pretty brutal defensive group. Smith is listed at 6'6 but he seems smaller than that and would get eaten alive by Hayward, Durant, Leonard, George, Butler or any number of the elite small forwards in the league...

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 05:39:37 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I think he'd make them better. You could turn him into a 6th man or even a back up point guard. Someone who can create offense when LeBron is on the bench or being overworked.

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 08:10:17 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Wade would be a valuable 6th man 25-28mpg for any & every team.

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2017, 08:27:32 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Aging superstars really do have a lot of issues. We have seen this time and time again. You add in that he would be giving up serious money potentially and he is not going to be happy in a limited role.

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2017, 09:05:12 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Aging superstars really do have a lot of issues. We have seen this time and time again. You add in that he would be giving up serious money potentially and he is not going to be happy in a limited role.
How would Wade be giving up serious money?  Buy outs are almost always for close to the contract value.

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2017, 09:52:27 AM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
too many players who do not fit... lets see first if thomas goes for a surgery

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2017, 11:40:55 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
too many players who do not fit... lets see first if thomas goes for a surgery

Yea IT in a contract year, rose on a make good one year deal, smith, wade and whatever Calderon is make a terrible backcourt combination. Need someone like bradley, not like wade.

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2017, 12:00:58 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Wade seems like old toast to me. Didn't seem to have anything left in the playoffs this year...