Author Topic: Trump And His Administration (Day to Day Thread)  (Read 13098 times)

Trump And His Administration (Day to Day Thread)
« on: August 22, 2017, 08:33:26 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • Walter Brown
  • Tommy Points: -28004
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
We're reopening a thread to allow an ongoing Trump thread. This one will be more tightly moderated, with ground rules as follows:

1. This isn't an open thread for all political topics. It's about the day to day stuff regarding the current administration.

2.  For big events, start a new thread;

3. Nickagneta  Will be assisting in moderating this thread. Treat him as you would any other moderator. Like with any other member of the staff, if you have any issues with nick's moderation, send me a private message or post something in the Comments and Remarks thread.

4. Follow all CelticsBlog and Current Events forum rules, particularly:

Discussion of politics, religion and current events should be confined to the Current Events Forum, a child board of the Off Topic Forum.  Discussion of politics and related subjects on the front page or in the chat room are prohibited at all times.

Do not engage in partisan attacks, unsupported generalizations, or mockery of opposing viewpoints. 

All posts must add content to the conversation, and all claims must be supported by facts and/or an argument. Posts such as "Bush sucks!" or "Democrats are leftist Communists!" are not permitted.

The staff may lock or delete any thread, for any reason.  Threads that involve illegal or particularly inflammatory topics, such as abortion, personal use of drugs, or 9/11 conspiracy theories will be locked on a preemptive basis.  Members should use caution in starting threads about conspiracy theories in other areas.  While discussion of other potentially inflammatory topics such as race and religion are allowed, such discussions will be closely monitored.  As such, members should tread lightly when discussing such matters. 

Do not criticize others' religion or religion in general; if you can't discuss religion without criticizing the religion or those who practice it, then don't discuss it at all.

Participation in the Current Events Forum is on a discretionary basis.  Posting privileges in the forum can be revoked at any time, for any reason.  There will be very little tolerance for rule-breaking in this forum.

Violation of site rules within the Current Events Forum will result in automatic and mandatory suspension from that forum.  Further discipline, including suspension or banning from Celticsblog on a site-wide basis, will be at the discretion of the staff.

Any poster who wishes to "opt out" of the Current Events Forum may do so.  To disable Current Events posts from showing up in your Latest Forums Topic menu and to disable your access to the forum, contact Roy H., who will remove your access privileges.

5. Don't use this thread for pot shots. Make sure whatever you're posting is worthy of discussion or debate.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

Re: Trump And His Administration (Day to Day Thread)
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 08:53:24 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 8720
TP Roy for starting up a new Trump thread.  let's see how this one plays out.

when you say no "pot shots", is that just between the posters (which is always good policy) or are you saying we can't pot shot Trump for something he does --> let's say, looking up at the eclipse without special glasses until he's pressured into putting them on?

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 10:07:02 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 5125
Yeah, TP to Roy for allowing another shot at this thread. Charlottesville really derailed the last one so lets all keep on subject here.

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 10:15:53 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• Kevin Garnett
Yeah, TP to Roy for allowing another shot at this thread. Charlottesville really derailed the last one so lets all keep on subject here.
TP to you to Nick for taking on the mod role for this topic.  best of luck - you'll likely need it.

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 10:18:55 AM »

Offline heyvik

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 34
Thank you Roy.

We need this thread. I don't always agree with the other side, but I am open to learning and trying to see others opinion!

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 10:22:13 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• Bill Russell
So Trump is heading to Phoenix today and there will be a bunch of different rallies going on both for and against the President. Among the topics he may bring up is granting a pardon to Joe Arpaio, a former sheriff and giant supporter of Trump's during his election campaigm who was found guilty of criminal contempt of court for violating a court order to not illegally detain undocumented immigrant workers.

Trump has hinted he may pardon him. I am not sure this is a good look for Trump because if he does it for Arpaio, he most likely would do it for people close to him that could be found guilty in the Russian matter. Just don't think its cool for friends, supporters, and colleagues of Trump to get a free pass for breaking laws because Trump likes them or because they supported/worked for Trump.

Now I am sure past Presidents probably of done just this thing, Republicans and Democrats alike. But I think its just wrong. They broke the law they should do their time.

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 10:50:57 AM »

Offline chicagoceltic

• Gordon Hayward
  • Tommy Points: 65
So Trump is heading to Phoenix today and there will be a bunch of different rallies going on both for and against the President. Among the topics he may bring up is granting a pardon to Joe Arpaio, a former sheriff and giant supporter of Trump's during his election campaigm who was found guilty of criminal contempt of court for violating a court order to not illegally detain undocumented immigrant workers.

Trump has hinted he may pardon him. I am not sure this is a good look for Trump because if he does it for Arpaio, he most likely would do it for people close to him that could be found guilty in the Russian matter. Just don't think its cool for friends, supporters, and colleagues of Trump to get a free pass for breaking laws because Trump likes them or because they supported/worked for Trump.

Now I am sure past Presidents probably of done just this thing, Republicans and Democrats alike. But I think its just wrong. They broke the law they should do their time.
I posted about this in the locked thread.  My feeling is that, more so than anything, the timing would be very bad for him to pardon Sheriff Arpaio now.  Sheriff Arpaio was found in contempt for continuing to racially profile people.  After Charlottesville and the uproar of how President Trump reacted I think pardoning the Sheriff now would be a political disaster.
Pub Draft

Sam N Ella's

At the Bar: The Most Interesting Man in the World
At the Door:  Hugh Hefner
On Stage:  O.A.R., Louis C.K., EDGAR! Special Drinks:  Irish Car Bomb, Martinis On Tap: Lite, Beamish, 3 Floyds Seasonal, Chimay Grand Reserve, Spotted Cow

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 10:56:40 AM »

Offline heyvik

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 34

I posted about this in the locked thread.  My feeling is that, more so than anything, the timing would be very bad for him to pardon Sheriff Arpaio now.  Sheriff Arpaio was found in contempt for continuing to racially profile people.  After Charlottesville and the uproar of how President Trump reacted I think pardoning the Sheriff now would be a political disaster.

We keep thinking everything will be a political disaster but it seems like this presidency is as resilient as a cockroach.....

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 10:59:38 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • Walter Brown

Yeah, almost all Presidents use the pardon power to score political points and/or to reward donors. I think it's distasteful myself. And yet, Jack Johnson can't get a posthumous pardon for some reason.

I think if Trump pardons Arpaio, it will be at a more politically convenient time.

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 11:02:51 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• Kevin Garnett
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08/20/rescue-efforts-launched-us-warship-collides-merchant-vessel/

21 AUGUST 2017 • 9:38AM
Ten US sailors were missing after a US destroyer collided with an oil tanker in southeast Asia, the second serious accident involving American Navy ships in the region in little more than two months.

Returning to the White House on Sunday night, President Donald Trump responded to reporters’ questions about the accident by saying: “That’s too bad.”

Strongly criticised on social media for his response, he later tweeted: "Thoughts & prayers are w/ our @USNavy sailors aboard the #USSJohnSMcCain where search & rescue efforts are underway."

==========================================================

Trump is an absolutely insensitive and clueless dolt.  what grown adult would actually need to be told that "That's too bad" is an inappropriate response to that situation?

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2017, 11:04:19 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • Walter Brown
TP Roy for starting up a new Trump thread.  let's see how this one plays out.

when you say no "pot shots", is that just between the posters (which is always good policy) or are you saying we can't pot shot Trump for something he does --> let's say, looking up at the eclipse without special glasses until he's pressured into putting them on?

I'd like to see criticism with substance. Sometimes open mocking of people can inflame their supporters, so I'd like to keep things as "high road" as possible. It's a lofty goal, especially when talking about somebody who goes low.

Just use your best discretion. If something is borderline we're probably going to cut you some slack.

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2017, 11:09:32 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • Walter Brown
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08/20/rescue-efforts-launched-us-warship-collides-merchant-vessel/

Ten US sailors were missing after a US destroyer collided with an oil tanker in southeast Asia, the second serious accident involving American Navy ships in the region in little more than two months.

Returning to the White House on Sunday night, President Donald Trump responded to reporters’ questions about the accident by saying: “That’s too bad.”

Strongly criticised on social media for his response, he later tweeted: "Thoughts & prayers are w/ our @USNavy sailors aboard the #USSJohnSMcCain where search & rescue efforts are underway."

Trump is an absolutely insensitive and clueless dolt.  what grown adult would actually need to be told that "That's too bad" is an inappropriate response to that situation?

For a guy who has spent his entire life in business and television, you would think that he would have picked up some communication skills.  This isn't a "Big Deal" to me, but it's amazing how often he is willing to weigh in on something without being briefed on it.

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2017, 11:19:45 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• Kevin Garnett

For a guy who has spent his entire life in business and television, you would think that he would have picked up some communication skills.  This isn't a "Big Deal" to me, but it's amazing how often he is willing to weigh in on something without being briefed on it.
one would think that just having reached 70 years old, Trump would have picked up some basics of human decency, particularly when it comes to knowing when to express sympathies and how to do so.  This was not a political matter where he could play off being blunt or discourteous.  This was a tragic incident that just called for some human compassion for the sailors and their families. 

it's nothing on a scale of impacting how he runs his presidency or the country but I do think it speaks volumes about him as a person.

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2017, 11:38:52 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• Bill Russell

Or go off script and just shoot from the hip. I think he has a couple of excellent guys behind him in Kelly and McMaster but he just doesn't listen or thinks he is smarter politically than they are.

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2017, 12:55:03 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 380

Or go off script and just shoot from the hip. I think he has a couple of excellent guys behind him in Kelly and McMaster but he just doesn't listen or thinks he is smarter politically than they are.

I don't think he was ever savvy communications-wise, but at this point any skill he may have had seems tainted by dementia.