Author Topic: Trump And His Administration (Day to Day Thread)  (Read 11455 times)

Re: Trump And His Administration (Day to Day Thread)
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2017, 01:53:45 PM »

Offline chicagoceltic

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 64
Another day, another resignation, this time the science envoy to the State Department. Funny thing is the first letter in each paragraph of the resignation letter spells out IMPEACH". Ha!

Has any other president in recent memory have so many resignations and firings directly due to the president's actions, words and policies?
Would you want to be a scientist in this administration?

"He blinded me with science!"

He probably thinks that like global warming the eclipse is a Chinese hoax.
Pub Draft

Sam N Ella's

At the Bar: The Most Interesting Man in the World
At the Door:  Hugh Hefner
On Stage:  O.A.R., Louis C.K., EDGAR! Special Drinks:  Irish Car Bomb, Martinis On Tap: Lite, Beamish, 3 Floyds Seasonal, Chimay Grand Reserve, Spotted Cow

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2017, 08:16:44 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2278
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Trump pardoned Sheriff Joe.

Comment from Tim Miller, republican consultant:

If your executive action is so heinous it needs to be announced in a Friday news dump during a hurricane maybe consider not doing it.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2017, 08:21:53 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 483
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
At least President Trump called for UNITY today during his American Legion speech.

I'm praying for this man to do MORE speeches like this.

I want to believe it's from the heart and I want to believe he's TRYING.
Keep on praying if that helps you.  There's no evidence whatsoever that he speaks from the heart or he is trying.  In fact, ALL of evidence is to the opposite.

« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2017, 08:40:30 PM »

Online fairweatherfan

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2316
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

If your executive action is so heinous it needs to be announced in a Friday news dump during a hurricane maybe consider not doing it.

For anyone who's not familiar, Arpaio was convicted for deliberately and repeatedly violating a court order to stop racially profiling Latinos. Yet another nod to virulent bigots across the land - the President has your back. Also underscores how utterly hollow the Republican complaints of "lawlessness" were. And the branding of Trump as a "law and order" candidate.

And in another move that accomplishes nothing but virtue signaling for bigots, the ban on trans soldiers was formalized.

At least Gorka is finally out.

« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2017, 08:43:40 PM »

Offline chicagoceltic

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 64

Doing this so close to Charlottesville is an example of President Trump's political tone deafness.  That or it is him playing to the more racist portion/bigoted portion of his base.  Either way it is what is expected from him.
Pub Draft

Sam N Ella's

At the Bar: The Most Interesting Man in the World
At the Door:  Hugh Hefner
On Stage:  O.A.R., Louis C.K., EDGAR! Special Drinks:  Irish Car Bomb, Martinis On Tap: Lite, Beamish, 3 Floyds Seasonal, Chimay Grand Reserve, Spotted Cow

« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2017, 01:06:57 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 695
Is there any justification for the Arpaio pardon? This is dictatorship/banana republic type stuff.

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2017, 04:20:09 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • Walter Brown
  • Tommy Points: -28020
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
Is there any justification for the Arpaio pardon? This is dictatorship/banana republic type stuff.

I suppose the justification is that at least one of the things he got in trouble for -- essentially, enforcing Federal immigration law -- was only newly off-limits due to Obama. Arpaio was allegedly fighting a political decision to do his job and protect the country.

But in the end, it doesn't really matter. Presidents pardon / commute the sentences of dozens, even hundreds, of people every term. Arpaio is no more or less deserving than most of them.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2017, 04:31:51 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 695

I suppose the justification is that at least one of the things he got in trouble for -- essentially, enforcing Federal immigration law -- was only newly off-limits due to Obama. Arpaio was allegedly fighting a political decision to do his job and protect the country.

But in the end, it doesn't really matter. Presidents pardon / commute the sentences of dozens, even hundreds, of people every term. Arpaio is no more or less deserving than most of them.

I guess we'll end up disagreeing on that. Even by the standards of the current republican party he was extreme. He was a law enforcement officer who ran a system so racist and cruel he was ordered to stop. He refused to stop and lied about it which was his ultimate conviction for which he was pardoned. It was done without the usual process and is condemned by nearly all, including republican state senator mccain. It basically sends an early term message that as long as your crimes are racist and you support trump, you will get off. Im guessing we will see a few pretty words and zero action from republican reps and senate, even though this is what impeachment was designed for.

« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2017, 05:49:33 PM »

Online rondohondo

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1072

I guess we'll end up disagreeing on that. Even by the standards of the current republican party he was extreme. He was a law enforcement officer who ran a system so racist and cruel he was ordered to stop. He refused to stop and lied about it which was his ultimate conviction for which he was pardoned. It was done without the usual process and is condemned by nearly all, including republican state senator mccain. It basically sends an early term message that as long as your crimes are racist and you support trump, you will get off. Im guessing we will see a few pretty words and zero action from republican reps and senate, even though this is what impeachment was designed for.

Or you can pardon a literal terrorist like Obama did, and no one will say anything.....

« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2017, 09:39:28 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 8704

Or you can pardon a literal terrorist like Obama did, and no one will say anything.....
I'll kick myself for asking - but who is this "literal terrorist" Obama pardoned?

« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2017, 09:42:10 PM »

Online rondohondo

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1072

I'll kick myself for asking - but who is this "literal terrorist" Obama pardoned?

Oscar Lopez Rivera, killed people with bombs, search for yourself......

« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2017, 09:42:12 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • Walter Brown
  • Tommy Points: -28020
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/01/oscar-lopez-commutation-barack-obama-214685

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2017, 09:44:57 PM »

Offline D Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 237
Whataboutism
Quote from: Isaiah Thomas
I don't believe in pressure

« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2017, 09:47:29 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 8704

that's really downplaying (or omitting) one of the biggest issues he was in trouble for which was blatant racial profiling by pulling over people for just being hispanic.  he was just pulling people over and holding them to check their immigration status with no other reason to justify stopping them.  pulled over and detained a lot of citizens and legal immigrants.

« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2017, 09:54:42 PM »

Offline D Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 237

that's really downplaying (or omitting) one of the biggest issues he was in trouble for which was blatant racial profiling by pulling over people for just being hispanic.  he was just pulling people over and holding them to check their immigration status with no other reason to justify stopping them.  pulled over and detained a lot of citizens and legal immigrants.

And the timing.   

Right on the heals of Charlottsville you pardon a convicted bigot?

Not sure how republicans continue to look the other way and enable such a racist regime. 
Quote from: Isaiah Thomas
I don't believe in pressure