Poll

Please vote for which day you want to draft (10am - 4pm EST)

Wednesday, Sept. 6
0 (0%)
Thursday, Sept. 7
0 (0%)
Either one / no preference
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: GC's Yahoo! H2H League 2017 Constitutional Convention  (Read 9451 times)

Re: GC's Yahoo! H2H League 2017 Constitutional Convention
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2017, 08:49:58 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
I'd like to propose a daily waiver system.  I feel outside of the first day of picking players off the waiver wire, waiver order has very little importance. I'd like to see the waiver order mean more through out the year. This system would be more in line with the way fantasy football does weekly waivers just our league would do them daily.

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2017, 09:31:18 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I'd like to propose a daily waiver system.  I feel outside of the first day of picking players off the waiver wire, waiver order has very little importance. I'd like to see the waiver order mean more through out the year. This system would be more in line with the way fantasy football does weekly waivers just our league would do them daily.

It can also be really important in the playoffs. Agreed that it means almost nothing in between, though a low # team can snap up guys before the guys sitting on their position have a chance.

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2017, 08:48:41 AM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
Also want to let folks know that there are a few minor things on the Yahoo! side that we need to address (I was setting up the league while my wife was on the phone before we watched a movie for her b'day... so I couldn't work through all of them).

The chief thing is that b/c of (I think) changes to the NBA schedule Yahoo has a 20 week season this year -- with the only choices for when to start the playoffs (for a league our size) as week 21.

This would mean an unbalanced schedule -- i.e. instead of teams playing each other 1x, each team plays each other team 1x and a single team 2x.

In the past we've voted to avoid this unbalanced schedule.

To do that this year though would mean starting the league's season in Week 2 and going to Week 20 (a 19-week season) and start the playoffs in Week 20.

We tried starting at week 2 before and it was terrible. Everyone is pumped to start the season, but we have to wait out the first week. I would rather start the playoffs a week earlier.

Mk

Well I'd like to win the league every year...  :o

As i mentioned in my post (see bold) the Yahoo setup this year -- for whatever reason only allows for starting the playoffs in Week 21.

That means either (a) having an unbalanced 20-week sched or (b) having a balanced 19 week sched, starting in week 2.

Either way the playoffs start in week 21 -- bc that's the only option Yahoo gives a league or size (i.e. W 8 playoff teams).
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2017, 04:00:52 PM »

• Rajon Rondo

The thing I like about this is that it lessens the "first-to-the-computer" dynamic for picking up FAs.

Though that's less of an issue than in a baseball league for example. I don't know that I can think of a guy I missed out on last year for that reason.

On the other hand, I fear it might have a negative impact on teams adding FAs and/or taking a flier on a guy (already a bit of an issue IMO)

for example, early last season I added JaVale McGee to see how he'd play out -- I'm unlikely to take that kind of chance if I have a high waiver priority.

Does this end up having a negative impact on player movement-- especially among the bottom teams?

--

FWIW, outside of the initial Waiver Wire rush -- there were only 27 players added off waivers last year out of ~ 250 players added throughout the season.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 04:09:04 PM by Gainesville Celtic »

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2017, 09:12:47 PM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
Am I in this league? 
Diggles

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2017, 10:15:28 PM »

• Rajon Rondo
Am I in this league? 

No... this is the league you're looking for. (said with a cool Ben Kenobi voice...)

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2017, 11:27:24 AM »

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 537
for whatever reason only allows for starting the playoffs in Week 21.

That means either (a) having an unbalanced 20-week sched or (b) having a balanced 19 week sched, starting in week 2.

Seriously though, I vote for the unbalanced 20 games  schedule. The more games the better.

On a more interesting topic...

Mk

Sickness, insanity and death were the angels that surrounded my cradle and they have followed me throughout my life - Edvard Munch

DKC Knicks

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2017, 04:25:35 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923

The thing I like about this is that it lessens the "first-to-the-computer" dynamic for picking up FAs.

Though that's less of an issue than in a baseball league for example. I don't know that I can think of a guy I missed out on last year for that reason.

On the other hand, I fear it might have a negative impact on teams adding FAs and/or taking a flier on a guy (already a bit of an issue IMO)

for example, early last season I added JaVale McGee to see how he'd play out -- I'm unlikely to take that kind of chance if I have a high waiver priority.

Does this end up having a negative impact on player movement-- especially among the bottom teams?

--

FWIW, outside of the initial Waiver Wire rush -- there were only 27 players added off waivers last year out of ~ 250 players added throughout the season.

Those are good counter points about it might hinder some other player movement.  But the first to the computer aspect is what I was trying to minimize. Even though I was first to get there when linsanity was going on in the middle of his game.

Is there a way to have the players be on waivers from the start of the first game to 3am? Then after that they are free agents until 7pm when the first games start.  Id assume this wouldnt be possible on yahoo, but that way you could still add free agents during the day without burning your good waiver number.

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2017, 05:22:12 PM »

• Rajon Rondo

Seriously though, I vote for the unbalanced 20 games  schedule. The more games the better.

Here's what I'm considering -- if Yahoo allows it:

Setting things up so that teams w/ the best records last year play each other that 2nd time. It's imperfect but better than the 4th team from last year randomly getting the worst team from last year IMO.

1 vs 2

3 vs 4

etc.

I might even make it so that that matchup happens in the middle of the season or something for 2 consecutive weeks?

Thoughts?

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2017, 05:22:26 PM »

• Rajon Rondo

Mk

Next week or the one after -- or when DKC NYK stops picking' on me -- whichever comes first.

« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2017, 06:01:20 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I would probably support the 20 week season. I'd be fine either way. On second thought...people are trying to make the playoffs (and tank) that last week. Maybe balanced 19 is better

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2017, 12:25:09 AM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
Seriously though, I vote for the unbalanced 20 games schedule. The more games the better.

Same. I'll never be on board with starting Week 2. The imbalance doesn't bother me. If memory serves, it's only even been in the past two seasons that Yahoo has condensed the two weeks around the All Star break into a - perfect for us - 20 week schedule. Strength of schedule is a realty across sports.

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2017, 09:54:52 AM »

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 537

Mk

Next week or the one after -- or when DKC NYK stops picking' on me -- whichever comes first.

Mk

Sickness, insanity and death were the angels that surrounded my cradle and they have followed me throughout my life - Edvard Munch

DKC Knicks

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2017, 04:56:06 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
Do we have a tentative draft date?

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2017, 06:23:19 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697