Author Topic: Concern about the Lakers pick we own from Philly  (Read 4369 times)

Re: Concern about the Lakers pick we own from Philly
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2017, 01:40:31 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
The Lakers don't own that pick.  It either goes to us or the Sixers.  If the Lakers were to lose a pick it would be their 2019 pick.

exactly

league can't punish other teams

Lakers if caught, will either lose the 2018 pick (if 2-5)  , 2019 1st or 2020 1st

OR won't be able to sign PG13 for the next 3 seasons 

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2017, 03:15:38 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
The Lakers don't own that pick.  It either goes to us or the Sixers.  If the Lakers were to lose a pick it would be their 2019 pick.

exactly

Lakers if caught, will either lose the 2018 pick (if 2-5)  , 2019 1st or 2020 1st

contradicted yourself -- probably unintentionally

if the Lakers lose a pick they control, it won't be the 2018 pick which either goes to Philly or us.

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2017, 06:09:28 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
When asked to comment on the NBA's investigation of the Lakers, Celtics president of Basketball Operations Danny Ainge stated," In the event of a guilty verdict, I expect to be awarded rights to Paul George and all of the rest of the Lakers' dwaft pix...for the rest of the decade." 

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2017, 12:00:01 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

exactly

contradicted yourself -- probably unintentionally

if the Lakers lose a pick they control, it won't be the 2018 pick which either goes to Philly or us.

Poor Triboy. He's has a really rough summer. He may never recover.

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2017, 12:07:03 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Ok well that does make sense. I was just worried that in a complicated situation, the NBA would find a way to screw the Celtics by taking away the pick.
How dumb would it be for the league to punish the cetlics for something the lakers did?  Come on, even the league isn't that stupid.

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2017, 01:44:20 AM »

Offline Witch-King

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • "Just do what you do best" - Red Auerbach
If we end up having to give up the draft pick because the Lakers were found guilty of cheating I'd be salty, but I doubt that will happen. If the Lakers are barred from acquiring Paul George at least we wouldn't have to worry quite as much about them getting good again, though as a fan of the NBA I would be saddened if they cheated because these sorts of penalties water down the league. We'll see what happens; if the Lakers are in the wrong we may not have to worry about them being competitive for the near future based on what penalties they receive -- who knows, maybe PG13 might consider playing for us, instead 🤷🏾‍♂️.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 01:54:51 AM by Witch-King »
~W. King of Angmar/Dark Lord Sauron, "Sore-on", "Score-on", "Slore-on"/"W. King", "D. Lord" (Wins, Defense)/"W-itch King" (haha), All I do is win, and Cincy - TayoFromOhio 😄

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2017, 02:11:18 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
They can't punish us.

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2017, 02:16:43 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Unless Indiana has some really hard proof, the league is not going to find the Lakers guilty of tampering.  If there was proof, they'd be fined and most likely prevented from signing George.  It would have to be egregious for them to lose a pick.
Lakers have three people who have no experience with player transactions from the ownership side, though Pelinka at least has experience from the player side. They might have been clumsy enough to leave behind a smoking gun. And they might have done the same thing with other players, in particular Lebron.

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2017, 08:16:11 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Yes, let's use some common sense. If the point of a league action is to punish the lakers, then taking an action that does not punish them makes no sense.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2017, 11:13:41 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
Imagine if the pick landed at #2 and the NBA took it away from us just because it once belonged to the Lakers? That would be insane.

No, obviously hopefully any punishment would be levied on the Lakers and not on a pick they don't own.
fixed it for you.

there's no guarantee that if the league told the Lakers they'd be penalized by losing a pick or picks, that they'd only apply that to the picks they still own. 

it would seem to be common sense but I would not put it past the league to take away that pick and notify the Lakers they need to utilize other assets to satisfy the trade that sent out their 2018 pick.

I'm a bit more confident than 'hopeful'.

Is there any precedent for the league (any league) taking away draft picks that have already been traded to another team?

It is a legitimate concern because I suppose anything can happen, but definitely far from likely.
I agree it's not likely.  the likeliest thing regarding a first rounder, should the NBA go that route, is to take away one the Lakers still own.  However, I wouldn't rule out the league not doing the likeliest thing and coming up with something that hurts a Laker trade partner rather than the Lakers.
this is just tinfoil hat conspiracy theory nonsense at its finest.  The Lakers did bad so let's not punish them at all and punish someone else.  I mean come on, are you thinking about what you are saying at all or just writing it without thought.
apparently putting more thought into than you are.

what is it you disagree with? 
- my statement it's likely the league takes away the next first rounder the Lakers own?  Keep in mind that this may not be deemed severe enough should the Lakers be found guilty of tampering.  The don't have a pick until 2019 which would be after the season where they have enough cap room to supposedly add Paul George and/or Lebron.  How damaging is it to the Lakers to give up a pick in the 20's when acquiring one or both of those players?
- my statement that I wouldn't rule out the league doing something else that could in the end hurt their trading partner more (however unintentionally).  Say the league tells LA they have to give up a player on their roster now instead of the pick.  again, I stated this was unlikely.  I was originally thinking they'd give up Randle who was certainly worth less than that pick but the mention of Ingram or Ball is an option.  I would still consider either of those players to be lesser prospects than that pick.  While giving up either of those 2 prospects would hurt LA this year, it frees up more cap space to sign FAs next offseason (thus hurting other teams in the league) and whomever gets that player is, IMO, getting a lesser prospect than they would have had they gotten a top 5-6 pick next year. 

I doubt the second scenario comes to pass but I wouldn't rule out the league doing something other than taking away the Lakers next first round pick.  it's not a conspiracy theory as you're stating.  it's simply stating there's other things the league could be thinking for a penalty.
None of the things in this post, hurts a LA trade partner, which is the post I was responding to.  The league isn't going to punish the Lakers by hurting a Lakers trade partner.  That is just nonsense and that is what I was responding to. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2017, 11:32:00 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Imagine if the pick landed at #2 and the NBA took it away from us just because it once belonged to the Lakers? That would be insane.

No, obviously hopefully any punishment would be levied on the Lakers and not on a pick they don't own.
fixed it for you.

there's no guarantee that if the league told the Lakers they'd be penalized by losing a pick or picks, that they'd only apply that to the picks they still own. 

it would seem to be common sense but I would not put it past the league to take away that pick and notify the Lakers they need to utilize other assets to satisfy the trade that sent out their 2018 pick.

Is there any precedent for the league (any league) taking away draft picks that have already been traded to another team?

It is a legitimate concern because I suppose anything can happen, but definitely far from likely.
I agree it's not likely.  the likeliest thing regarding a first rounder, should the NBA go that route, is to take away one the Lakers still own.  However, I wouldn't rule out the league not doing the likeliest thing and coming up with something that hurts a Laker trade partner rather than the Lakers.
this is just tinfoil hat conspiracy theory nonsense at its finest.  The Lakers did bad so let's not punish them at all and punish someone else.  I mean come on, are you thinking about what you are saying at all or just writing it without thought.

- my statement it's likely the league takes away the next first rounder the Lakers own?  Keep in mind that this may not be deemed severe enough should the Lakers be found guilty of tampering.  The don't have a pick until 2019 which would be after the season where they have enough cap room to supposedly add Paul George and/or Lebron.  How damaging is it to the Lakers to give up a pick in the 20's when acquiring one or both of those players?
- my statement that I wouldn't rule out the league doing something else that could in the end hurt their trading partner more (however unintentionally).  Say the league tells LA they have to give up a player on their roster now instead of the pick.  again, I stated this was unlikely.  I was originally thinking they'd give up Randle who was certainly worth less than that pick but the mention of Ingram or Ball is an option.  I would still consider either of those players to be lesser prospects than that pick.  While giving up either of those 2 prospects would hurt LA this year, it frees up more cap space to sign FAs next offseason (thus hurting other teams in the league) and whomever gets that player is, IMO, getting a lesser prospect than they would have had they gotten a top 5-6 pick next year. 

I doubt the second scenario comes to pass but I wouldn't rule out the league doing something other than taking away the Lakers next first round pick.  it's not a conspiracy theory as you're stating.  it's simply stating there's other things the league could be thinking for a penalty.
None of the things in this post, hurts a LA trade partner, which is the post I was responding to.  The league isn't going to punish the Lakers by hurting a Lakers trade partner.  That is just nonsense and that is what I was responding to. 
it certainly wouldn't be the league's intent to do so but if they do something other than take away a future Laker-owned #1 pick, the move could hurt a trade partner. 

put simply, if the league tells them they lose their 2018 pick which necessitates they need to settle their deal by giving up a player (or two), that move could be seen as detrimental to the team that gets that player (or players) since the 2018 draft prospects may be more desirable than the players the Lakers give up. 

I don't think this will happen but I don't think them losing their 2019 #1 is a lock to happen (in the event they're penalized at all).  I think the protections on their next pick between Philly and us would be prohibitive to the league telling the Lakers that pick is void but this league has done some things that didn't make sense in the past. 

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2017, 12:35:43 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532

fixed it for you.

it certainly wouldn't be the league's intent to do so but if they do something other than take away a future Laker-owned #1 pick, the move could hurt a trade partner. 

put simply, if the league tells them they lose their 2018 pick which necessitates they need to settle their deal by giving up a player (or two), that move could be seen as detrimental to the team that gets that player (or players) since the 2018 draft prospects may be more desirable than the players the Lakers give up. 

I don't think this will happen but I don't think them losing their 2019 #1 is a lock to happen (in the event they're penalized at all).  I think the protections on their next pick between Philly and us would be prohibitive to the league telling the Lakers that pick is void but this league has done some things that didn't make sense in the past.
the league won't do that.  that is why it is nonsense. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip