Author Topic: NBA investigating Lakers for "PG13 tampering" probe. Focus on Magic Johnson  (Read 3611 times)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
If they can just remove the #1 protection on their 2018 pick and stop them from ever acquiring PG, I think we would agree it's  fair punishment lol.

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
This sounds pretty serious--to get to this point. Could be Magic's inexperience as GM caused him to do things that were not allowed as a GM. We'll see how it plays out.

I'm surprised the Lakers would go to those extremes. Usually, the West Coast media acts as a message conveyor for LA. NY media does the same for the local teams. The media in those towns tend to be supportive of their teams. Not always the case in Boston.

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
If they can just remove the #1 protection on their 2018 pick and stop them from ever acquiring PG, I think we would agree it's  fair punishment lol.

They didn't put the protection on, the 76ers did. LA loses the pick no matter what
I'm bitter.

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
ALSO - LeBron could most certainly choose US, as well.

We are a lot further down the road to contention than LA.

But we're not HOLLYWOOD.

As much as I love Mark Wahlberg, Tom Brady and Ben Affleck they can't hold a candle to Hollywood.

Besides we've been too much of a thorn in LeBron's side for him to come to US.
so many folks quote LA and hollywood and glitter as being a key and deciding factor in players choices.

dwight howard did not care. haywood did not care either. how many big name free agents have the lakers landed in the past few years?

i just dont see the appeal for lebron, who must feel some urgency as he sees father time catching up with him soon.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

But we're not HOLLYWOOD.

As much as I love Mark Wahlberg, Tom Brady and Ben Affleck they can't hold a candle to Hollywood.

so many folks quote LA and hollywood and glitter as being a key and deciding factor in players choices.

dwight howard did not care. haywood did not care either. how many big name free agents have the lakers landed in the past few years?

i just dont see the appeal for lebron, who must feel some urgency as he sees father time catching up with him soon.
i agree that it's hard to see lebron join the 3rd worst team. Even if there's pending deals awaiting, I don't see who the lakers can get. They would have to get cp3 and wade in free agency and even that isn't a remotely scary team. Even if melo joins in

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156

But we're not HOLLYWOOD.

I'm not sure using Dwight Howard as a example of logic is a good choice. The guy is off his rocker.
Peace through Tyranny

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

But we're not HOLLYWOOD.

I'm not sure using Dwight Howard as a example of logic is a good choice. The guy is off his rocker.

Howard was used as an example of a player who left LAL.

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

But we're not HOLLYWOOD.

I think he did care about the glamour of LA initially.  But he burned too many bridges like he always does and had to get out of there.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
i have seen the "lebron to LA" story a number of times. please provide the sources to this? or is it all simply whim and wishing?

why would lebron leave cleveland to go to a team that is not good right now. and even if he and a few others go there, they will not jell as a team for 1-2 years and the young players have to develop.

all of this takes time, something lebron no longer has. i do not see the logic in him joining LA. SA? yes, i can see.

There are no sources (yet) for LeBron to The Lakers.

But to me it makes sense.

Where else would LeBron go? I'm sure he loves and respects Magic AND the fact that it's Hollywood would pay HUGE dividends for LeBron I'm sure.

I'm also certain that "IF" LeBron choose LA that Magic would not rest until he assembled pieces around him to compete right away.

Magic is building it and they will most certainly come.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SB16il97yw

Why "WOULDN'T" he want to go to LA? He'd be able to play against GSW a lot more times THEN as he would NOW.

He'd have a capable PG in place in Lonzo Ball. He has "SPECIAL" written all over him, Lonzo does.

Brandon Ingram will probably be better as well.

He'd have a capable coach in Luke Walton in place.

"IF" he leaves CLE his rep may take another hit but in the end what could CLE say? He brought them a Banner - something no other sports franchise there has done nor WILL do - at least for a while.

If CLE ownership can't assemble a team around LeBron then in the end I couldn't blame him for leaving once again. The narrative would be that while LeBron was WILLING to stay - he could NOT because the team choose to go in a different direction.

This would not be LeBron's fault.
Lebron is not going to leave the Cavs and go to a team that wouldn't even have a realistic chance of making the Finals.  Now if the Lakers landed George, Westbrook, and James that would be a real possibility for him, but he isn't going to leave only to end up losing in the conference semis or conference finals at best.

And there are plenty of viable options for James.  Philadelphia, Boston, San Antonio, back to Miami, LAC, staying in Cleveland, etc.  James will play for whatever team that can pay him the max and will provide him the best shot a championship.  That could be the Lakers if they can land two other stars or it could be somewhere else.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

But we're not HOLLYWOOD.

LaMarcus Aldridge is another good example.  As I remember the reporting, the Lakers tried to sell him on the whole LA scene but he was more interested in hearing about the basketball aspects of it.  Imaging that.

I don't think it is still the case that Miami and LA have a big advantages due to lifestyle.   

The Lakers' presentation reportedly focused too much on "outside opportunities" and not enough on basketball, according to Adrian Wojnarwoski of Yahoo! Sports.