Author Topic: Camp roster now set  (Read 1265 times)

Camp roster now set
« on: August 20, 2017, 07:14:46 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
They just signed Daniel Dixon from William & Mary, yet another wing.

Danny Ainge has given Brad Stevens arguably the deepest camp roster of Stevens’ Celtics tenure. That should make for spirited practices and a competitive camp/preseason.
https://www.celticsblog.com/2017/8/18/16172474/report-boston-celtics-sign-guard-daniel-dixon-william-and-mary

Isn't there any way a non-season-ticket-holder can get into practices?  I would pay for that.

Re: Camp roster now set
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 10:51:43 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
thanks for the link and thread.

it is interesting that ainge is so willing to sign 16 players to guaranteed contracts. yes, the end of the bench players wont make enough money to matter. but ainge appears, to me, to be trying to establish some sort of farm system. keep as much young talent as you can, then see if any of them pan out.

the lottery ticket approach to player development.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 12:23:20 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

it is interesting that ainge is so willing to sign 16 players to guaranteed contracts. yes, the end of the bench players wont make enough money to matter. but ainge appears, to me, to be trying to establish some sort of farm system. keep as much young talent as you can, then see if any of them pan out.

Not much of a farm system when one of the guaranteed players has to be dropped before the season begins. 

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 12:34:36 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Not much of a farm system when one of the guaranteed players has to be dropped before the season begins.

The guaranteed player that gets cut is irrelevant - they wouldn't be going to the DLeague anyway. The players he's signing now will likely be going to the DLeague, and by signing them now and cutting them later the Red Claws will gain their rights.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 12:50:25 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

The guaranteed player that gets cut is irrelevant - they wouldn't be going to the DLeague anyway. The players he's signing now will likely be going to the DLeague, and by signing them now and cutting them later the Red Claws will gain their rights.
So no different than what all the other teams do with DLeague players.  Those players can sign with any NBA team that has a roster spot. 

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 06:18:37 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

They paid Ben Bentil $250K last year for the right to cut him.  I think Ainge is doing what he can to promote player development outside of the big club until such time as a real minor league system can be put in place.

To me, the other big point about this year's camp is the amount of talent.  It seems more this year with all the euro- and d-league stashes.  More competition is always good.

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 11:30:12 AM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111

To me, the other big point about this year's camp is the amount of talent.  It seems more this year with all the euro- and d-league stashes.  More competition is always good.

Amen to that.