Author Topic: ALT right rallies  (Read 5730 times)

Re: ALT right rallies
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2017, 05:17:18 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 2367
I applaud Boston Law Enforcement and BOTH sides of the protests for a generally peaceful demonstration.

I just wish that references by SOME in this thread to BLM=Antifa would stop.

From what I've seen / read about Antifa is that they are the Anti-White Supremacists AND have been known to resort to violence and attacks against them. I "JUST" learned this this weekend being that I'd honestly NEVER heard about them UNTIL Charlottesville.

I have, however - known about BLM for the last couple of years. Save for a few instances I believe that they are more helpful than harmful.

To ME - "ANYONE" who tries to paint BLM with a broad brush is ignorant - which in TURN means that if you saw ME walking down the street and have NEVER met me you probably don't think too well of me, either.

Until you sat down and TALKED with me.

One problem in society nowadays is that we're more likely to sit down right next to someone and do THIS

LOL I actually SEE this EVERY single time I go to the barbershop. We're becoming ISOLATED in society.

No wonder that there is such a disconnect between us all.

I'd respectfully ask ANYONE in this thread disagreeing with me to NOT take BLACK LIVES MATTER literally - as in "ONLY" Black Lives Matter. I'm certain that if you were to sit down and TALK with folks that are a part of BLM I'm certain that you will NOT find ANY shred of hatred or violence against Law Enforcement coming from their phraseology.

YES - in the past it was assumed that BLM could be the out-cropping of violence against Law Enforcement. I sincerely don't believe this is true and that there are other elements involved as well.

Please don't paint BLM with such a broad brush.

And as for Antifa, well - to be honest - I'd rather see one of THEM walking down the street approaching ME rather than the "other" side from Charlotte.

For ME - this is MY life. I did not CHOOSE my skin color but I thank God for it. In the meantime I deal with my (and my family's) reality.

You can disagree with me if you want - this is YOUR right. But I'd humbly ask - in the spirit of one Civil Rights Champion in our VERY OWN Bill Russell -

Respect my thoughts.
Marcus Smart "Impacts Winning." Boston Celtics Coach Brad Stevens

« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2017, 06:32:52 PM »

Online Surferdad

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 491
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
In any case, you missed my point: No one is arguing the right to free speech.  It is the content of that free speech that matters now.

This is blatantly false, whether intentionally stated or not. Many people on the left or those that are part of the protest groups have absolutely been trying to shut down free speech through intimidation, bullying, and violence. It's all caught on camera, there's evidence all over the place. I've seen the slogans "hate speech is not free speech" (untrue) or "I hate those who hate" (ironic) used frequently at these rallies. That's a bad look in my view.

So many people are making excuses for uncivilized and illegal behavior simply because they want to be "on the right side". It unacceptable and I won't tolerate it. I will speak out and condemn these people at every corner. Combating hate with hate doesn't work, because you can't force hate from someone's heart this way.

Every decent human being should aspire to want bigotry stamped out. But there is a proper way to achieve this. Those individuals who have been peacefully demonstrating do deserve applause. I just wish they would stand up to those among them that resort to uncivilized and illegal tactics to make their point.
NO.  It is my opinion.  Content does matter.  The rest of your post is your conjecture not my opinion.

Pictures of the Boston "white supremacy" rally vs media coverage
« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2017, 08:01:44 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 218
This is how it was covered by the  media:

"White supremacist rally ends early in Boston as counter-protesters show up in huge numbers"
http://mashable.com/2017/08/19/boston-free-speech-rally-counter-protest/#1LULFIBpYaql

"white supremacist rally in boston"
https://www.google.com/amp/s/thinkprogress.org/updates-white-supremacist-rally-in-boston-87c7cf465404/amp/

https://mobile.twitter.com/Mikel_Jollett/status/898944831673704449
"The hate speech rally in Boston has about 100 white supremacists and TWENTY THOUSAND peaceful protestors..."

This is the "100 person white supremacist rally" that everyone  was mad about:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q9X2ZRB9GCU

Thanks
 cnn!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 08:10:30 PM by CelticsElite »

Re: Pictures of the Boston "white supremacy" rally vs media coverage
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2017, 08:22:20 PM »

Offline Cman

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 348

"White supremacist rally ends early in Boston as counter-protesters show up in huge numbers"
http://mashable.com/2017/08/19/boston-free-speech-rally-counter-protest/#1LULFIBpYaql

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thinkprogress.org/updates-white-supremacist-rally-in-boston-87c7cf465404/amp/

"The hate speech rally in Boston has about 100 white supremacists and TWENTY THOUSAND peaceful protestors..."

Thanks
 cnn!

1. Why does everyone conveniently forget that the KKK was supposed to show up at this rally? People here on Celticsblog were posting about this before the rally. If they had shown up to the rally, would it have been okay to call it a "white supremacist" rally?
2. A big reason there were so many counter protesters were BECAUSE the KKK (and perhaps other hate groups) were going to show up. But, I guess they chickened out. Good riddance.
3. You didn't link to anything from CNN.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2017, 08:25:18 PM »

Offline Cman

• Frank Ramsey

The only way to stop white supremacy, racism, white nationalism, nazism, black trust of police, and far left antifa problems is educating our youth and children that these things are abhorent in our society. Its the only way to stamp out these extreme un-American values. Its not going to happen right away. It may take many generations to do it but the more we teach our kids about how bad these values are, the sooner it will eventually happen.

Thankfully for interracial marriage, this will all happen quicken than we might expect (at least that's my hope).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2017, 08:37:26 PM »

Offline Cman

• Frank Ramsey
I applaud Boston Law Enforcement and BOTH sides of the protests for a generally peaceful demonstration.

From what I've seen / read about Antifa is that they are the Anti-White Supremacists AND have been known to resort to violence and attacks against them. I "JUST" learned this this weekend being that I'd honestly NEVER heard about them UNTIL Charlottesville.

I have, however - known about BLM for the last couple of years. Save for a few instances I believe that they are more helpful than harmful.

To ME - "ANYONE" who tries to paint BLM with a broad brush is ignorant - which in TURN means that if you saw ME walking down the street and have NEVER met me you probably don't think too well of me, either.

One problem in society nowadays is that we're more likely to sit down right next to someone and do THIS

LOL I actually SEE this EVERY single time I go to the barbershop. We're becoming ISOLATED in society.

I'd respectfully ask ANYONE in this thread disagreeing with me to NOT take BLACK LIVES MATTER literally - as in "ONLY" Black Lives Matter. I'm certain that if you were to sit down and TALK with folks that are a part of BLM I'm certain that you will NOT find ANY shred of hatred or violence against Law Enforcement coming from their phraseology.

YES - in the past it was assumed that BLM could be the out-cropping of violence against Law Enforcement. I sincerely don't believe this is true and that there are other elements involved as well.

And as for Antifa, well - to be honest - I'd rather see one of THEM walking down the street approaching ME rather than the "other" side from Charlotte.

For ME - this is MY life. I did not CHOOSE my skin color but I thank God for it. In the meantime I deal with my (and my family's) reality.

You can disagree with me if you want - this is YOUR right. But I'd humbly ask - in the spirit of one Civil Rights Champion in our VERY OWN Bill Russell -

Respect my thoughts.

TP.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2017, 08:48:53 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 293

Respect my thoughts.
BLM isn't Antifa.  However, I believe they are part of the problem not the solution.  What have they actually accomplished?  Their message and tactics are divisive.  They paint everything in a broad brush of systemic racism.  They lump police shootings, at least when there is a white cop involved, together under the umbrella of racism without waiting for the facts to come out.  An NPR poll had BLM's disapproval at 50% and approval at only 33%.  But I expect they'd explain that off as racism too. 

« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2017, 08:53:54 PM »

Offline Cman

• Frank Ramsey
On Antifa, do they remind anyone of the anti-globalists of the 1999 WTO demonstrations?
What I find so interesting about that link, is that anti-globalism is a theme of some on the alt-right. Sort of a "both ends of the spectrum bending towards one another" type thing.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2017, 08:55:23 PM »

Offline byennie

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 229

Thanks
 cnn!

Speaking of disingenuous reporting, this YouTube is incredibly misleading. Quite obviously Charlottesville was a white supremacist rally that cried "free speech" as a way to garner support.

Boston was the next planned location; however, the KKK didn't show when it was made overwhelmingly clear how they'd be received. Then this handful of people purposefully fails to identify their motives, meets hundreds of feet from protestors & puts it on YouTube to make some supposed point about free speech? Gimme a break. That's just a pithy, fallacious gasp for attention, and intentionally dishonest.
---
Lucky17 Yahoo! Points League: Jackalopes
Offseason Tracker

« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2017, 09:11:42 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 218

Thanks
 cnn!

Speaking of disingenuous reporting, this YouTube is incredibly misleading. Quite obviously Charlottesville was a white supremacist rally that cried "free speech" as a way to garner support.

Boston was the next planned location; however, the KKK didn't show when it was made overwhelmingly clear how they'd be received. Then this handful of people purposefully fails to identify their motives, meets hundreds of feet from protestors & puts it on YouTube to make some supposed point about free speech? Gimme a break. That's just a pithy, fallacious gasp for attention, and intentionally dishonest.
the kkk wasn't going to be anywhere. That's the unconfirmed rumor/lie being spread. These guys were the only ones with permits and they showed up. Regardless if the kkk was coming, how do you protest against what you see ? The guy Shiva is Indian and invented Email. He literally invented email. And is a proponent of free speech. Yet everyone protested him and 20 counter protestors got arrested for throwing rocks and bottles of urine and getting violent. The left sure sounds like they love diverse freedom of speech!

« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2017, 09:25:40 PM »

Offline Cman

• Frank Ramsey

the kkk wasn't going to be anywhere. That's the unconfirmed rumor/lie being spread. These guys were the only ones with permits and they showed up. Regardless if the kkk was coming, how do you protest against what you see ? The guy Shiva is Indian and invented Email. He literally invented email. And is a proponent of free speech. Yet everyone protested him and 20 counter protestors got arrested for throwing rocks and bottles of urine and getting violent. The left sure sounds like they love diverse freedom of speech!

You can spin it however you want. I get the sense you just want to "spin" it, not discuss it.

However, to the extent you want to discuss it, and want an explanation, consider that there were plenty of reports the KKK was going to be there. Even though KKK wasn't on the invite list, there were people with similar views on the invite list, including Kyle Chapman, a white supremacist.

People were upset about Charlottesville and the presidents lack of response, and were worried about something similar happening in Boston. People showed up en masse to protest (or counter protest).

Most of the 20,000 people who showed up to counter protest were not Antifa or BLM or whoever the right calls its boogeyman. They were thousands upon thousands of concerned citizens of the greater Boston area. Kudos to them for taking time out of their day to stand up for what they believe in.

Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2017, 09:29:42 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 2367

Respect my thoughts.
BLM isn't Antifa.  However, I believe they are part of the problem not the solution.  What have they actually accomplished?  Their message and tactics are divisive.  They paint everything in a broad brush of systemic racism.  They lump police shootings, at least when there is a white cop involved, together under the umbrella of racism without waiting for the facts to come out.  An NPR poll had BLM's disapproval at 50% and approval at only 33%.  But I expect they'd explain that off as racism too.

Question for you - if that "33%" approval rating was ALL BLACKS voting for BLM in a positive light are you ready to call ALL BLACKS ignorant?

Please don't take that questioning the wrong way - I'm serious.

I'm telling you - you have to LIVE this experience to UNDERSTAND it. OR - if you do NOT live this experience you should go out and talk to others who have.

I'm not playing the victim role here and I certainly view society differently than someone of a different hue.

And I'm not crazy. That doesn't make me a bitter man, either. If anything it's wise.

I understand the the VAST MAJORITY of Law Enforcement in this country do the RIGHT THING ever day. But there is a genuine fear of corruption and wrong-doing in regards to incarceration and racism in this society that seemingly effects one or more groups more than the other.

If anything - Black Lives Matter has brought things to folk's attention. But folks foolishly can't get beyond the "TITLE" of "Black Lives Matter!" and simply ask - "What is the problem?" "Why do you feel that way?"

I applaud Justin Britt, here

By supporting Michael Bennett he is showing wisdom in that I may not be your hue but we are in this together.
Marcus Smart "Impacts Winning." Boston Celtics Coach Brad Stevens

« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2017, 10:28:15 PM »

Offline action781

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 317

Respect my thoughts.

GreenFaith, I do respect your thoughts.  I absolutely don't take BLM as "only" black lives matter.  I believe deeply in their cause and proudly marched with them (maybe alongside you?) through our city in solidarity a few years ago.  I proudly stood with the counter-protestors on Saturday.

I agree with your pic of the phones.  Hell, me and you are exemplifying that by engaging in this right now!  Haha.  Your point is true though -- that it is important we talk about these issues in person with our social circles as well.

While I have an ideological agreement with BLM (it sadly seems our society generally doesn't value black lives on the same level as white lives), it is irrefutable that people associated with BLM entice and even initiate violence and I cannot align myself with that.

I absolutely will not paint you with a broad brush assuming that you initiate violence.  But your plead also reminds me of how many liberals I see that so easily paint Trump supporters lately with the broad brush of all being racists and bigots.  I think we all need to stop painting eachother with broad brushes, listen to eachother, and eliminate the violence.
.................to the
Assistant ^ General Manager for the Pawnee Pacers

Tony Parker, Courtney Lee, Rudy Gay, Zach Randolph, Marc Gasol
Jeff Teague, Paul George, Trevor Ariza, Chuck Hayes, Channing Frye
Kemba Walker, Andres Nocioni, Jason Collins

« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2017, 10:35:15 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 274
In Charlottesville, they were marching with robes and torches.  It was not like this was a fringe element that infiltrated an otherwise honorable protest about a statue of Robert E. Lee.  It was deplorables on on full display.  I personally find any effort to paint this in some sort of free speech, fake media hue as dog-whistling to this element that hey, we got your back, please keep voting for us.  They are essentially marching and saying "violate civil rights of blacks and Jews".  It is really an uniquely offensive form of free speech.  There is really nothing that I can find to relate to in their message.  This is a group of very angry people who are mad at black people and Jews for no particular reason that I can understand.  Their right to protest and present this view to the public is protected under the first amendment but I find their message stunningly objectionable.

Black Lives Matter supporters are also a group of very angry people who are mad because they feel that society in general and police specifically don't treat them fairly or the same as white people.  The extent that I agree or disagree with them is not my point but I do understand their message.  They have an issue that to me is a reasonable issue to protest about.  They need to protest peacefully though and respect other groups right to free speech but I get it.

I am not sure I fully understand AntiFa or what their fundamental message is (much like I don't understand what the message of the Boston Free Speech people was).  AntiFa does not seem to be for something but rather just against something.  That seems to be the trend.  Republicans could rally around being against anything Obama or Clinton but couldn't really get together to be for any real practical policy.  Dems now need to be careful they are for something and not just against anything Trump.  AntiFa also.  I understand you want to be against the KKK or white (non-jew) nationalism but a pro-jewish religious freedom march resonates with me better than a march against the other stuff.  Not sure I get AntiFa. 

I can think of another way to think of this.  No one supports domestic abusers but I would not want to see a protest against domestic abuse.  It is against the law, you don't need to protest that.  But a protest for awareness or to support in some other way those who have been abused is a protest for something.  It is the same but to me a lot different.

« Reply #74 on: August 20, 2017, 10:36:38 PM »

Offline action781

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 317
The only way to stop white supremacy, racism, white nationalism, nazism, black trust of police, and far left antifa problems is educating our youth and children that these things are abhorent in our society. Its the only way to stamp out these extreme un-American values. Its not going to happen right away. It may take many generations to do it but the more we teach our kids about how bad these values are, the sooner it will eventually happen.

In terms of your idea, I tend to agree that is the *optimal* solution.

But what do you say to that generation of black people who want change now?  Who have lived their entire lives treated as inferior to whites in some way or another and may not be alive by the time equality is reached?

I have no answer or solution to that question.  At a very minimum, as a white person, I can recognize and do my best to understand the frustrations that come with that perspective.  I'm lucky that I don't have to live in that world and I'm saddened that many of my brothers and neighbors have to live in that world... with no guaranteed assurance that equality will ever be reached if they do take the patient, educational route.  That has to be insanely frustrating and I think white people all need to seriously recognize this and not take this internal struggle of theirs lightly.
.................to the
Assistant ^ General Manager for the Pawnee Pacers

Tony Parker, Courtney Lee, Rudy Gay, Zach Randolph, Marc Gasol
Jeff Teague, Paul George, Trevor Ariza, Chuck Hayes, Channing Frye
Kemba Walker, Andres Nocioni, Jason Collins