Author Topic: ALT right rallies  (Read 6375 times)

Re: ALT right rallies
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2017, 09:28:25 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1073
and it seems that the neo-fascists were simply dwarfed by the anti-fascist turnout, and then tucked their tails between their legs and left.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/08/boston-crowd-anti-racists-dwarfs-free-speech-rally-170819180115802.html

good turn out to show the right wing that they are not even close to the majority of voices.

Why not turn out to the voting booth instead of shutting down free speech?

Bunch of facists(BLM, Antifa) and useful idiots.....
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 09:34:48 PM by rondohondo »

« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2017, 09:38:31 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• Danny Ainge
.@CharlieBakerMA and @marty_walsh BLOCKED Free Speech and forcibly kept out all media from "White Supremacist" Rally. Disgusting

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DHnkl1IXUAAVzOZ?format=jpg

Dr Shiva to take down Elizabeth Warren 2018

Real Indian vs Fake Indian

« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2017, 09:44:41 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27977
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
It's also binary thinking to compare the people protesting the free speech rally to those that used bats to beat people and cars to run over people in Charlottesville. The magnitude of violence wasnt in the same stratosphere which is why the two events shouldn't be reported the same.

I'm not sure that's binary thinking. It's more on a continuum.  If Charlottesville was at one extreme on that continuum, it doesn't mean that we should condone lesser violence. Similarly, just because one group (white supremacists) are on the extreme end of the continuum of those who want to take away rights, it doesn't mean we should excuse others trampling on fundamental freedoms.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2017, 09:45:01 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• Danny Ainge

« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2017, 09:47:20 PM »

Offline D Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 241
and it seems that the neo-fascists were simply dwarfed by the anti-fascist turnout, and then tucked their tails between their legs and left.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/08/boston-crowd-anti-racists-dwarfs-free-speech-rally-170819180115802.html

good turn out to show the right wing that they are not even close to the majority of voices.

Why not turn out to the voting booth instead of shutting down free speech?

Bunch of facists(BLM, Antifa) and useful idiots.....

Didn't we?   Remember Trump losing the head count by like 2M.

Got lucky the electoral college forgot what their job detail was...

« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2017, 10:00:46 PM »

Online csfansince60s

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1743

In Massachusetts, that is a truism.....but not everywhere.

« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2017, 11:07:04 PM »

Offline Cman

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 348
I'm not going to get into it in detail but it needs to be said.

I don't like how certain elements on the right, including posters on this blog, talk about BLM.  I'm not a big fan of Antigua. But it is wrong in my book to lump BLM together with them. And it is worse to somehow use this to equate BLM with the KKK.

I'm aware of the attempt to delegitimize BLM by equating them with other groups. We can do better than that here on Cblog.

Again, I'm not going to get into a back and forth on this.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2017, 11:15:01 PM »

Online tarheelsxxiii

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1241

I don't like how certain elements on the right, including posters on this blog, talk about BLM.  I'm not a big fan of Antigua. But it is wrong in my book to lump BLM together with them. And it is worse to somehow use this to equate BLM with the KKK.

I'm aware of the attempt to delegitimize BLM by equating them with other groups. We can do better than that here on Cblog.

Have you actually read the mission statement of BLM? Any of their quotes regarding their movement, political beliefs, or responses to those killed at their rallies? Any of the data that completely contradicts their claims? The BLM movement is one of the worst things that has happened to our country within the past few years.  And no one individual or group can be so irrationally extreme without being met with contention --  Hence, Trump's presidency. 
"As far as playing, I didn't care who guarded me - red, yellow, black. I just didn't want a white guy guarding me, because it's disrespect to my game."
-Larry Bird

« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2017, 04:36:00 AM »

Offline JSD

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1112
‪Speech should always be upheld as sacrosanct. Be wary of anyone opposing free speech or advocating for violence, even under the auspices of "shutting down hate speech". It is a political tactic used to shut down dissenting opinion or to act violent towards another human being.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 07:00:32 AM by JSD »

« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2017, 04:46:24 AM »

Offline JSD

• Satch Sanders

Have you actually read the mission statement of BLM? Any of their quotes regarding their movement, political beliefs, or responses to those killed at their rallies? Any of the data that completely contradicts their claims? The BLM movement is one of the worst things that has happened to our country within the past few years.  And no one individual or group can be so irrationally extreme without being met with contention --  Hence, Trump's presidency.

TP.

« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2017, 04:50:10 AM »

Offline JSD

• Satch Sanders
Alt Right Rallies in not a great name for this thread. What happened in Boston was not Alt Right, a internet meme movement that started off wide but  has been taken over by white nationalists.

This event was set up by a Rand Paul Republican. Consider, "Conservative Rallies", maybe?

« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2017, 06:16:29 AM »

Online gouki88

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 88

Perfectly said. The BLM movement is a shocking one, and much of their message stems from a falsehood (the whole Michael Brown incident and "hands up don't shoot" springs to mind).

Glad to see they're being viewed as what they are.
Quote from: PhoSita
It's not rational, but sports fandom isn't supposed to be.

« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2017, 06:48:15 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 501
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

It was a fantastic counter-protest.  A couple of scuffles out of a total of 15,000 people is not comparable to driving a car into a crowd.

Those who organized the 'free speech' rally are just a bunch of dumbos.  Rhetorical questions: What was their goal?  What did they want to see changed?  This is why their rally fell apart (along with being out-numbered 15,000 to about 100), they had nothing to say, no goal, no speakers no rally organization.

NO ONE is arguing the right to free speech.  The counter-protesters are arguing the against hate speech.  Nearly everyone agrees with that.  Is it protected, yes of course.  Is it OK? No.  don't forget "...life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness..." is protected as even more fundamental than the Bill of Rights,  but alt-right generally ignores that part.

« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2017, 06:58:30 AM »

Offline JSD

• Satch Sanders

It was a fantastic counter-protest.  A couple of scuffles out of a total of 15,000 people is not comparable to driving a car into a crowd.

Those who organized the 'free speech' rally are just a bunch of dumbos.  Rhetorical questions: What was their goal?  What did they want to see changed?  This is why their rally fell apart (along with being out-numbered 15,000 to about 100), they had nothing to say, no goal, no speakers no rally organization.

NO ONE is arguing the right to free speech.  The counter-protesters are arguing the against hate speech.  Nearly everyone agrees with that.  Is it protected, yes of course.  Is it OK? No.  don't forget "...life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness..." is protected as even more fundamental than the Bill of Rights,  but alt-right generally ignores that part.

This post is just so misinformed I don't know what else to say. What happened yesterday was absolutely insane and actually kind of frightening. Only took a few seconds to find the first event on Facebook and see them denouncing hate groups. Didn't matter to tens of thousands of people. Orwellian.

« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2017, 06:59:38 AM »

Offline JSD

• Satch Sanders
I was not there but I followed the happenings leading up to the event closely, as well as the event itself as it unfolded, through livestream. I do not know the organizer, John Medlar, but I looked into him, by all accounts he is a libertarian leaning Republican who was concerned about free speech being under attack across the nation, most notably on college campuses. Medlar organized this event, and echoed time and time again, to anyone that would listen, that white nationalists were not welcome to speak at this particular event. Medlar even reached out to Black Lives Matter and other left leaning organizations to try to quell the misunderstanding. The events unfolded and this mythical narrative, that this was some form of racist rally, persists.

I find this troubling on multiple levels:

- The attack on free speech.
- The lack of honest journalism/media.
- The blatant demagoguery by politicians.
- Ignored or downplayed violence.

To name a few.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 07:06:01 AM by JSD »