Author Topic: ALT right rallies  (Read 5359 times)

Re: Pictures of the Boston "white supremacy" rally vs media coverage
« Reply #75 on: August 20, 2017, 11:00:31 PM »

Offline byennie

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 227
the kkk wasn't going to be anywhere. That's the unconfirmed rumor/lie being spread. These guys were the only ones with permits and they showed up. Regardless if the kkk was coming, how do you protest against what you see ? The guy Shiva is Indian and invented Email. He literally invented email. And is a proponent of free speech. Yet everyone protested him and 20 counter protestors got arrested for throwing rocks and bottles of urine and getting violent. The left sure sounds like they love diverse freedom of speech!

That wasn't clear to anyone in advance. Many of the same Unite the Right people were leveraging the upcoming events as if something would happen. It may have been untrue, but it wasn't a media conspiracy, and it was a legitimate concern.

I'm sure Shiva is a great guy. He did a crap job of alerting officials that his group had no connection to Charlottesville. Instead he got caught up in some pedantic bull about free speech that could have gotten someone hurt.
---
Lucky17 Yahoo! Points League: Jackalopes
Offseason Tracker

Re: ALT right rallies
« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2017, 12:11:48 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2316
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
An NPR poll had BLM's disapproval at 50% and approval at only 33%.  But I expect they'd explain that off as racism too.

I'm not wading into the whole debate but this is I believe a Newsbusters story and they completely reversed the percentages from the poll - it's really 50 favorable, 33 unfavorable - then attacked the media for not reporting it. Not having retracted it says a lot about them.

Page 17
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 12:43:33 AM by fairweatherfan »

« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2017, 12:27:34 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • Walter Brown
  • Tommy Points: -28020
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
This is from the Twitter of the "Boston AntiFa":

https://mobile.twitter.com/AntifaBoston/status/898941130133438468/video/1

Anybody who thinks these guys are heroes standing up to Nazis and white supremacists has been duped.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #78 on: August 21, 2017, 12:41:47 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Kevin Garnett

Anybody who thinks these guys are heroes standing up to Nazis and white supremacists has been duped.

Again, no debate on the bigger issue but this is very likely a fake account and that picture is 2 years old.  Can't speak to the video but these are not honest people.

« Reply #79 on: August 21, 2017, 12:57:23 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • Walter Brown

Again, no debate on the bigger issue but this is very likely a fake account and that picture is 2 years old.  Can't speak to the video but these are not honest people.

No idea about the account but the picture and video seem to accurately reflect AntiFa, right?

They're not as bad as white supremacists, but these losers aren't on the correct side, either.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 01:04:51 AM by Roy H. »

« Reply #80 on: August 21, 2017, 12:59:26 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1190
An NPR poll had BLM's disapproval at 50% and approval at only 33%.  But I expect they'd explain that off as racism too.

I'm not wading into the whole debate but this is I believe a Newsbusters story and they completely reversed the percentages from the poll - it's really 50 favorable, 33 unfavorable - then attacked the media for not reporting it. Not having retracted it says a lot about them.

Page 17

Interesting polls, but why don't they report the actual sample pop. stats? It looks like they've adjusted the data to fit some consensus norms from 2013, and a national poll of 859 people seems small.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 01:38:38 AM by tarheelsxxiii »
"As far as playing, I didn't care who guarded me - red, yellow, black. I just didn't want a white guy guarding me, because it's disrespect to my game."
-Larry Bird

« Reply #81 on: August 21, 2017, 01:04:54 AM »

Online CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 196

regardless it that is an old pic or not, they're clearly celebrating the pic.

Also,  antifa literally beat an elderly woman holding an american flag in boston yesterday and clearly was reactionary to the flag https://mobile.twitter.com/FoxNews/status/898939777453400065

Antifa burns the American flag, takes down statues of American history, and puts in its place the communist flag. They are literal enemies

« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2017, 07:23:52 AM »

Offline Cman

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 348
The Antifa people burning a flag? They don't represent me nor do they represent the 20,000 other people who showed up at the Boston rally.

I support all those 20,000 or so citizens who took time out of their day to protest against white supremacy and hate groups.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2017, 08:18:33 AM »

Offline HostAndGreetYourRoastBeef

• Shane Larkin
  • Tommy Points: 2
I honestly  don't see what they're actually protesting. White supremacy? You mean that minority that is so small that they're not even a footnote in today's society? I just don't see any sort of mass racism against non-whites, or white supremacy in today's society.

Hell, if we're talking even the KKK, they have pretty much just been a non-violent groups of rednecks trying to be edgy for a while now. They're nobodies, and not at all indicative of America ideals at all.

All of these protests and stuff started happening after the Trayvon Martin case. People think there's something massive police conspiracy against black people. There isn't. Not only are more whites shot per police encounter, but most blacks shot by police are shot by black cops.

« Reply #84 on: August 21, 2017, 09:09:15 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • Walter Brown
The Antifa people burning a flag? They don't represent me nor do they represent the 20,000 other people who showed up at the Boston rally.

I support all those 20,000 or so citizens who took time out of their day to protest against white supremacy and hate groups.

It's too bad. I wouldn't want to associate with any group that suppresses and shouts down free speech.

The violent protestors burning flags, attacking police and old ladies and throwing urine don't represent all left-wing protestors. Of course, skinheads don't represent conservative protestors, either. There have been hundreds of Tea Party, and even "alt-right" (whatever that term means) protests with less violence than we saw in Boston over the weekend. Yet, the media paints the entire conservative movement like it's burning crosses. 

By all accounts, those attempting to speak at the Boston rally were peaceful and rejected hate speech. Yet they were bullied into silence by a mob.  I'm not sure that's something to be proud of. It's certainly not any more reflective of our American ideals than hate speech is.

« Reply #85 on: August 21, 2017, 09:24:34 AM »

Offline Cman

• Frank Ramsey

It's too bad. I wouldn't want to associate with any group that suppresses and shouts down free speech.

The violent protestors burning flags, attacking police and old ladies and throwing urine don't represent all left-wing protestors. Of course, skinheads don't represent conservative protestors, either. There have been hundreds of Tea Party, and even "alt-right" (whatever that term means) protests with less violence than we saw in Boston over the weekend. Yet, the media paints the entire conservative movement like it's burning crosses. 

By all accounts, those attempting to speak at the Boston rally were peaceful and rejected hate speech. Yet they were bullied into silence by a mob.  I'm not sure that's something to be proud of. It's certainly not any more reflective of our American ideals than hate speech is.

You are assuming all the counter protesters were there protesting the handful of speakers that actually spoke at the rally.

I think this is a really bad assumption.

I think most people were there:
(a) protesting about what happened in Charlottesville (ie the white supremacists)
(b) protesting the KKK and other white supremacists they assumed would show up in Boston (but, as it turns out, didn't)
(c) protesting some of the people who they thought would show up (ie, Kyle Chapman, a white supremacist, was scheduled to speak in Boston).

I list a, b, c in order of why I think 20,000 people were there.

The 20,000 (or whatever the number was) were clearly not there protesting against free speech, per se. To suggest this is just to willfully ignore the reasons people state they are there, and/or to perpetuate a right wing myth that everyone on the left hates free speech. 

Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #86 on: August 21, 2017, 09:27:55 AM »

Offline Cman

• Frank Ramsey

Antifa burns the American flag, takes down statues of American history, and puts in its place the communist flag. They are literal enemies

It makes them losers.

It doesn't even come close to making them "enemies"

Let's not let our political differences cloud our view of who our enemies are.

Our enemies are terrorists, be they jihadists, white supremacists or KKK. Dylan Roof or the Tsarnaev brothers, these are the guys that we need to be calling enemies, along with the racists that create the websites that enable these guys.

Not loser kids from the suburbs with nothing better to do on a weekend afternoon except burn a flag.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #87 on: August 21, 2017, 09:28:59 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Kevin Garnett

No idea about the account but the picture and video seem to accurately reflect AntiFa, right?

Like I said, I'm not interested in the debate, just identifying bad evidence. Read the account - it's trolling, and not particularly subtle.

Regardless it that is an old pic or not, they're clearly celebrating the pic.

"They" being the trolls running the account. FYI for anyone who cares about validity of evidence, there are several other bogus accounts baiting with old pics, this is not a new approach.

« Reply #88 on: August 21, 2017, 09:30:05 AM »

Offline Cman

• Frank Ramsey

The counter protesters in Boston weren't even necessarily "left wing"
They are people who don't want neo-Nazis and other hate groups coming into our city. That's surely not a left wing or right wing thing. That's just standing up for your community.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #89 on: August 21, 2017, 09:32:09 AM »

Offline jambr380

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 817
Sometimes it takes a little time for the dust to settle, but Trump and other conservatives seem to have effectively taken a group of anti-racists, anti-sexists, and anti-homophobes and gotten people to believe they are on a similar plane as the KKK and white supremacist groups.

I realize the antifa movement has a very flawed methodology in some instances, but the fact that that there is even a debate on who is more evil and that the focus has shifted away from the white supremacists is a major win for Trump.