Author Topic: ESPN pulls Asian announcer because his name is Robert Lee  (Read 764 times)

Re: ESPN pulls Asian announcer because his name is Robert Lee
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2017, 02:24:53 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 370
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA PC at it's finest

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2017, 02:25:02 PM »

Online tarheelsxxiii

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1266
Certainly doesn't sound like that'd be legal, though I suppose that doesn't matter for a company like ESPN.
"As far as playing, I didn't care who guarded me - red, yellow, black. I just didn't want a white guy guarding me, because it's disrespect to my game."
-Larry Bird

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2017, 02:26:51 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 993
  • What a Pub Should Be
ESPN has always been overly conservative but has really taken it up a notch recently.  I mean they apologized because some weirdos complained about them doing an auction style fantasy draft.  Apparently the white ESPN guys "selling" a black player created an uncomfortable optic.  They follow that up with this story.  At some point ESPN just needs to ignore the crazies

That what happens when Disney is your parent company.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2017, 02:28:23 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Please stop with all the drama.

Simple decision. They just wanted to avoid being part of the drama. No stand taken. Just a reshuffle of announcers to avoid distraction. Looks like a desire to have focus on game and not on irony.

And stop talking like something was done to the announcer. He was on board, with no interest in becoming a punchline during broadcast. Of course, it all ended up in the news anyway.

His being Asian is irrelevant.

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2017, 02:30:20 PM »

Online footey

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 784
I originally thought this was ridiculous, but apparently the announcer consulted with ESPN executives, and they mutually decided it would be better to switch him to another game besides UVA. 

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2017, 02:46:45 PM »

Offline gift

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 125
Apparently there is some racist with my first and last name. Someone once contacted me on Facebook about it, asking if I was that guy. Had no idea what he was talking about. I don't have a super common name either.

There should be a support group for people with names easily confused with racists. Like we should be considered a minority group or something. I stand with Robert Lee (the ESPN one) *insert fist emoji* #teamrobertleetheespnversion

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2017, 02:54:20 PM »

Online Amonkey

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 145
In regards to ESPN reporting, I am just wondering how LeBron James feels about all this.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2017, 02:54:20 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 318
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Simple decision. They just wanted to avoid being part of the drama. No stand taken. Just a reshuffle of announcers to avoid distraction. Looks like a desire to have focus on game and not on irony.

And stop talking like something was done to the announcer. He was on board, with no interest in becoming a punchline during broadcast. Of course, it all ended up in the news anyway.

Quoted for rationality.
Thank you, Isaiah!!!

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2017, 03:06:23 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2390
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

But this is going to ruin my enjoyment of the the big Virginia - William and Mary game!

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2017, 03:22:04 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 706
Apparently there is some racist with my first and last name. Someone once contacted me on Facebook about it, asking if I was that guy. Had no idea what he was talking about. I don't have a super common name either.

There should be a support group for people with names easily confused with racists. Like we should be considered a minority group or something. I stand with Robert Lee (the ESPN one) *insert fist emoji* #teamrobertleetheespnversion

"Why should I change my name, he's the one who sucks."
- Michael Bolton

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2017, 03:24:46 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2867

"Why should I change my name, he's the one who sucks."
- Michael Bolton

Lol a true cult classic. TP.
Quote from:  Ron Swanson
It's never too early to learn that the government is a greedy piglet that suckles on a taxpayer's teet until they have sore, chapped nipples.