Author Topic: Celtic two ways  (Read 1521 times)

Celtic two ways
« on: August 18, 2017, 05:03:42 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
I don't quite get the drafting of older guards as two ways.
Wouldn't that be better suited for younger bigs,that are raw or need to put on muscle mass.Even some younger euro players that need to acclimate to NBA style of play.
Out of rj hunter,james young ,jordan mickey and jackson what has been learned?.Then you have abdel nader,yabusele,zizic and rozier
Next season more draft picks'
How well has the celtics scouting and and system performed?
semmi and yabusele
jaylen, tatum and nader
smart and rozier
zizic
Gone sully, kelly ,hunter,young ,jackson,mickey
Why haven't the celts obtained a real rim protector ?
I understand danny's plan in trading number one and drafting tatum- possibly two chances next draft on a very good big man draft class and fultz and isaiah was going to complicate this season.

Re: Celtic two ways
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 07:49:18 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I don't quite get what a two way is.  I don't remember seeing that term before this year, now it's everywhere.  Can somebody tell me exactly what it means?

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 08:06:31 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Wouldn't that be better suited for younger bigs,that are raw or need to put on muscle mass.Even some younger euro players that need to acclimate to NBA style of play.
Out of rj hunter,james young ,jordan mickey and jackson what has been learned?.Then you have abdel nader,yabusele,zizic and rozier
Next season more draft picks'
How well has the celtics scouting and and system performed?
semmi and yabusele
jaylen, tatum and nader
smart and rozier
zizic
Gone sully, kelly ,hunter,young ,jackson,mickey
I understand danny's plan in trading number one and drafting tatum- possibly two chances next draft on a very good big man draft class and fultz and isaiah was going to complicate this season.
I think Danny wants cheap bench help in the guard spots in case there are trades, our guards have good value and thus trades are more bound to happen concerning them. That's why we're stacking up on potential cheap bench guys in old rookie guards. For big men we have picked up Zizic, who may not be your Dikembe Mutombo that we're all dreaming of but he has a high motor and is solid in rim protection
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 08:08:32 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I don't quite get what a two way is.  I don't remember seeing that term before this year, now it's everywhere.  Can somebody tell me exactly what it means?
A two way contract is a contract that makes a player able to suit up for real NBA games but don't take a place in your roster, think of it like a D-League stash but they are your players without taking up a roster spot.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 08:49:45 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
A two way contract is a contract that makes a player able to suit up for real NBA games but don't take a place in your roster, think of it like a D-League stash but they are your players without taking up a roster spot.
Ok thanks.  Like a jayvee player who could get called up to varsity in an emergency.

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 09:04:57 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Ok thanks.  Like a jayvee player who could get called up to varsity in an emergency.

Yes, but he's limited to 45 days with on the varsity team. That's not games, that's days. So if there are injuries and the C's want some bodies for practice, they could be called upon to partake.

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 09:52:28 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
The big benefit now is that these guys get paid NBA level salary for the time (EDIT: Yes time spent not number of games) they are with the big club.  This is a big incentive for them and encourages them to be a "stash" player (in quotes because is not really a stash in the old sense) in the D-league whereas before they only got paid the D-league pittance.  It's a win-win rule change, IMO.

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 11:24:36 AM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
The big benefit now is that these guys get paid NBA level salary for the time (EDIT: Yes time spent not number of games) they are with the big club.  This is a big incentive for them and encourages them to be a "stash" player (in quotes because is not really a stash in the old sense) in the D-league whereas before they only got paid the D-league pittance.  It's a win-win rule change, IMO.

Yes, agree completely.

It strikes me that this will help raise the quality of ball in the Development League.

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 11:45:31 AM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111

Great question. "Best Player Available" is the obvious answer - but you raise the question of, Where Are the Celtics Bigs?

Amir, Olynyk, Jerebko (tweener but they had to play him as a big), and Zeller - all gone. They have not been replaced.  There's the journeyman Baynes. Zizic does not look ready for prime time. Theis?

Instead there are Swings.

The headlines are all about Hayward and Tatum, but the roster has been fundamentally overhauled, away from size. It's an interesting choice, to say the least - especially given the defensive rebounding deficit last season.

Easier said than done, I suspect. Danny has made the point several times in the last couple of years that you can go out and get a Rim Protector (he's made the same point about Rebounders), but he might hurt you in other areas of the game.

Some options at the top of the 2018 draft might well get the Celtics a well-rounded player who can protect the rim.

And he sees Tatum as someone who can get them rebounds and play "4" with his length.

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 11:48:17 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
moiso, perhaps this will help. simply stated, they are similar to a minor league player that can be called up, but only a limited number of games. this provides more depth for the team as the season grinds on. and, it let's they keep younger players to develop them.

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2017/7/18/15985262/nba-two-way-contract-2017-summer-league-agents-worried-about-them
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2017, 03:04:12 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Yes, agree completely.

It strikes me that this will help raise the quality of ball in the Development League.

Hopefully

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2017, 09:06:34 AM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
I like the idea of making a few spots for players who are still developing their game. Problem is virtually none of them ever get more than a small taste of the actual NBA. I wish teams could have even bigger rosters and keep a couple of older players active.  They are often great role models and teachers for younger players. Many are still capable of big contributions for short bursts of time that can put a team over the top. I think two veteran slots should be added to each roster as well. They can be at vet min salary and non cap hits. They also should not be mandatory.

I cite PJ Brown as one example.

Imagine Paulb Pierce in that role?
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2017, 10:29:02 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Wow. When rollie is scraping the barrel for interesting content, you know we DEEP in summer.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2017, 10:47:16 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I'm not crazy about using the 2-way contracts on drafted players (which is what Boston did).

The contract counts as an 'NBA contract' and thus exercises their draft rights starting immediately.    There is a very high chance that neither player ever gets called up (and never realizes the NBA-level pay up-tick) and this will have used our draft rights on them to no real purpose.

Alternatively, I would have preferred if we simply found appropriate foreign teams to do a conventional 'stash' of these players on, which not only might have resulted in them making just as much money while we would retain their draft rights for a future when there might actually be a roster need for them.

I would also have preferred we use the two hybrid contract slots in the same way Dallas is.   They used one of them to sign un-drafted FA Jonathon Motley.  This puts an extra player (that they didn't need a draft pick for) under their roster control for the year (or two).

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.