Author Topic: 34 will go to the rafters this season  (Read 2428 times)

Re: 34 will go to the rafters this season
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2017, 12:01:56 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Let's melt the rest of the ice caps while we're at it.  Think about the children!  Our great-great grand children will have nothing but triple digits, decimals and exponents to root for.  Of course those number will all have to be super tiny to fit in with all of the NASCAR-like ads on the jerseys.  :o

hee hee. tp for the inventive numbering. heck yeah!! why didnt we think of this sooner. use number with cosines, sine, equations, and more. we have an infinite set of uniform numbers now.

in the future, we might have guards with numbers such 12.434. or  Ax2 + Bx2 = Cx2

;D
You mean like this guy?

He wanted #9 but he couldn't have it so he chose 1+8 instead ;D ;D

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2017, 03:04:41 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
It will take place 2/11/18 vs. the Cavs per Celtics Insider

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2017, 07:36:47 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Great to hear, but kind of weird that they will be doing it after the game instead of at halftime. I hope Lebron takes part and gives Pierce some well earned props

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2017, 09:26:06 AM »

Offline aefgogreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 55
Imo we have far too many retired numbers. Call me crazy, but I would want us to have just 3 numbers retired : #6, #33 and #35.

I mean, the C's are the most successful franchise in NBA history having won a record number of 17 championships. They have had 2 GOAT candidates playing for them. It's not like they are a team with no history striving to create idols/heroes for their fanbase. No reason for the C's to retire a players number, unless he is widely considered to be an absolute legend and had spent the vast majority of his career with the team (if not his entire career). Don't get me wrong, I have nothing but respect for what PP, KG, Kevin McHale, Robert Parish, Hondo, Tommy, Bob Cousy and all former greats have done for the C's. Having said that, Russ and Bird were at least one level above all those guys. Jersey retirement should be the ultimate honor, reserved for the best of the best. There should be a way to distinguish the ultimate legends/GOAT candidates from the all-time greats.

What I'd want us to do is what we have already done with Loscy : no jersey retirement for PP-KG-Kevin McHale-Robert Parish-Hondo-Tommy-Bob Cousy etc. but their name should be in the rafters.

(I would also put Chuck Cooper's name in the rafters.)
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/15118575/paul-pierce-wants-boston-celtics-retire-pioneer-chuck-cooper-jersey-nba

Of course, that's just me. I totally get why the C's have decided to retire Pierce's number.
why even care about this? there are still a LOT of numbers left for players to wear. we will both be long dead and gone before the celics actually run out of numbers to pass out. and then? it is there problem, not mine.

Let's melt the rest of the ice caps while we're at it.  Think about the children!  Our great-great grand children will have nothing but triple digits, decimals and exponents to root for.  Of course those numbers will all have to be super tiny to fit in with all of the NASCAR-like ads on the jerseys.  :o

Emojis