Author Topic: 34 will go to the rafters this season  (Read 2420 times)

34 will go to the rafters this season
« on: August 18, 2017, 02:18:22 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Re: 34 will go to the rafters this season
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 02:33:00 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Opening night wouldn't be too early.

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 04:25:23 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Never too early for him.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 05:01:34 AM »

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 188
against the warriors, so we can stick it to draymond "Chasing that farewell tour" green.lol

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 06:44:15 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think PP has earned it.

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 08:49:22 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Imo we have far too many retired numbers. Call me crazy, but I would want us to have just 3 numbers retired : #6, #33 and #35.

I mean, the C's are the most successful franchise in NBA history having won a record number of 17 championships. They have had 2 GOAT candidates playing for them. It's not like they are a team with no history striving to create idols/heroes for their fanbase. No reason for the C's to retire a players number, unless he is widely considered to be an absolute legend and had spent the vast majority of his career with the team (if not his entire career). Don't get me wrong, I have nothing but respect for what PP, KG, Kevin McHale, Robert Parish, Hondo, Tommy, Bob Cousy and all former greats have done for the C's. Having said that, Russ and Bird were at least one level above all those guys. Jersey retirement should be the ultimate honor, reserved for the best of the best. There should be a way to distinguish the ultimate legends/GOAT candidates from the all-time greats.

What I'd want us to do is what we have already done with Loscy : no jersey retirement for PP-KG-Kevin McHale-Robert Parish-Hondo-Tommy-Bob Cousy etc. but their name should be in the rafters.

(I would also put Chuck Cooper's name in the rafters.)
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/15118575/paul-pierce-wants-boston-celtics-retire-pioneer-chuck-cooper-jersey-nba

Of course, that's just me. I totally get why the C's have decided to retire Pierce's number.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 09:14:57 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 09:55:34 AM »

Online jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Imo we have far too many retired numbers. Call me crazy, but I would want us to have just 3 numbers retired : #6, #33 and #35.

I mean, the C's are the most successful franchise in NBA history having won a record number of 17 championships. They have had 2 GOAT candidates playing for them. It's not like they are a team with no history striving to create idols/heroes for their fanbase. No reason for the C's to retire a players number, unless he is widely considered to be an absolute legend and had spent the vast majority of his career with the team (if not his entire career). Don't get me wrong, I have nothing but respect for what PP, KG, Kevin McHale, Robert Parish, Hondo, Tommy, Bob Cousy and all former greats have done for the C's. Having said that, Russ and Bird were at least one level above all those guys. Jersey retirement should be the ultimate honor, reserved for the best of the best. There should be a way to distinguish the ultimate legends/GOAT candidates from the all-time greats.

What I'd want us to do is what we have already done with Loscy : no jersey retirement for PP-KG-Kevin McHale-Robert Parish-Hondo-Tommy-Bob Cousy etc. but their name should be in the rafters.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/15118575/paul-pierce-wants-boston-celtics-retire-pioneer-chuck-cooper-jersey-nba

Of course, that's just me. I totally get why the C's have decided to retire Pierce's number.

Curious to hear why Reggie makes your list of 3? He's probably my favorite Celtic of all time but not sure he should be put on the Mount Rushmore of Celtic players. Especially considering there were post death reports of his drug use.. I also find it surprising since most of CB was ready to hand his number to Durant last season.
I do think the Celtics over-retire players numbers but do feel Bird, Russ, Tommy, Cous, Havlicek, Pierce and McHale all deserve to be up there. We're talking about some of the best basketball players of all time (minus maybe Tommy who deserves to be up there solely by his tenure with the team).
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 10:05:22 AM by jbpats »

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 09:59:28 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I hope it goes up during opening night, it's fitting and I'm trying to get tickets to that game lol

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 10:08:31 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
@jvalin

the way I see it, jersey retirement is an opportunity for the players to celebrate their career; and for the franchise and their fans to show their appreciation. It would be unfair to take that away from someone bcs he played with the Celtics or the Lakers and not the Raptors or the Grizzlies.

Regarding Kozlodoev's original post, imo 'too early' was done on purpose as a distinction - which he has earned to be fair.

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 10:29:42 AM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
http://www.weei.com/blogs/ty-anderson/celtics-owner-says-team-will-retire-paul-pierces-number-season

Too early?
not at all. the celtics decide when the time is right. i agree. pierce's number deserves to be there.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 10:31:25 AM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • bammokja

why even care about this? there are still a LOT of numbers left for players to wear. we will both be long dead and gone before the celics actually run out of numbers to pass out. and then? it is their problem, not mine.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 11:50:04 AM by hwangjini_1 »
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2017, 10:59:06 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Do it.

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2017, 11:45:23 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

why even care about this? there are still a LOT of numbers left for players to wear. we will both be long dead and gone before the celics actually run out of numbers to pass out. and then? it is there problem, not mine.

Let's melt the rest of the ice caps while we're at it.  Think about the children!  Our great-great grand children will have nothing but triple digits, decimals and exponents to root for.  Of course those numbers will all have to be super tiny to fit in with all of the NASCAR-like ads on the jerseys.  :o
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 12:07:40 PM by Redz »
Yup

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2017, 11:51:00 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Curious to hear why Reggie makes your list of 3? He's probably my favorite Celtic of all time but not sure he should be put on the Mount Rushmore of Celtic players. Especially considering there were post death reports of his drug use.. I also find it surprising since most of CB was ready to hand his number to Durant last season.
I do think the Celtics over-retire players numbers but do feel Bird, Russ, Tommy, Cous, Havlicek, Pierce and McHale all deserve to be up there. We're talking about some of the best basketball players of all time (minus maybe Tommy who deserves to be up there solely by his tenure with the team).
Cause he passed away at a very young age while he was still a member of the team. Reggie literally gave his life for the Celtics. It's a tragic story that (at least imo) should hold a special place in Celtics history.

@jvalin

the way I see it, jersey retirement is an opportunity for the players to celebrate their career; and for the franchise and their fans to show their appreciation. It would be unfair to take that away from someone bcs he played with the Celtics or the Lakers and not the Raptors or the Grizzlies.

Regarding Kozlodoev's original post, imo 'too early' was done on purpose as a distinction - which he has earned to be fair.
Well, the fact that many former great players haven't won a ring is unfair as well. I mean, if Stockton/Malone/Dominique (just to name a few) had been selected by the C's or the Lakers, it's likely that they would have had better chances of winning a championship.

Not to mention, having your name up in the rafters of the TD Garden is still a huge honor. I would argue that it may be considered a bigger honor than having your jersey retired by a less iconic franchise than the C's. For instance, the Sonics (a historic NBA franchise) have retired 6 numbers and (practically speaking) they don't even exist anymore. Not only Clay Bennett has relocated the team to OKC but he also stripped the Sonics of their entire history (the 1979 NBA championship, the right to showcase their retired numbers and so forth).

why even care about this? there are still a LOT of numbers left for players to wear. we will both be long dead and gone before the celics actually run out of numbers to pass out. and then? it is there problem, not mine.
I guess I care cause I'm a fan. That's what fans do : they care. I know I shouldn't care cause non of these staff have any impact on my everyday life, but for some stupid reason I care anyway.

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2017, 11:54:34 AM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • bammokja

Let's melt the rest of the ice caps while we're at it.  Think about the children!  Our great-great grand children will have nothing but triple digits, decimals and exponents to root for.  Of course those number will all have to be super tiny to fit in with all of the NASCAR-like ads on the jerseys.  :o

hee hee. tp for the inventive numbering. heck yeah!! why didnt we think of this sooner. use number with cosines, sine, equations, and more. we have an infinite set of uniform numbers now.

in the future, we might have guards with numbers such 12.434. or  Ax2 + Bx2 = Cx2

;D
- Vandana Shiva