Poll

Which of the following players would you build around?

Karl Anthony Towns
Giannis Antetokounmpo
Joel Embiid
Kristaps Porzingis

Author Topic: Towns, Giannis, Embiid or Porzingis: Who Ya Got as Best Young Cornerstone?  (Read 3440 times)

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Towns. He just up prime KG numbers in his second season. KGs best season was 24/13/5.  Towns just did 25/12/2.7. Greek freak is easily out coached. Just force him to shoot outside. Towns has it all. He just needs to tweak his defense, and learn to pass better but he is still young. Embiid is a joke who will retire in 2 years after getting injured twice more. And porzingis is a hard read but will probably be a all star a few times

KG numbers, without KG impact.  Towns is more like Kevin Love at this stage.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
We always mention Jaylen Brown's work ethic when projecting him.  I don't hear much about Towns being unique in that regard one way or the other.  But I always hear about the incredible work ethic of Giannis.  That's got to mean something.  So basically it's a question of if Giannis is more likely to learn to shoot or if Towns is more likely to learn to hustle on defense.
Towns has an incredible work ethic as well, KG applauded him for that during his final season with the Wolves. Imo Jaylen's work ethic is the most insane out of the 3, he wakes up at 5am in the morning to practice and fasts on water.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Towns. He just up prime KG numbers in his second season. KGs best season was 24/13/5.  Towns just did 25/12/2.7. Greek freak is easily out coached. Just force him to shoot outside. Towns has it all. He just needs to tweak his defense, and learn to pass better but he is still young. Embiid is a joke who will retire in 2 years after getting injured twice more. And porzingis is a hard read but will probably be a all star a few times

True but I don't think Kevin Love ever had those handles.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Embiid if he stays healthy. But I'll go with a proven commodity in Giannis. Towns and Porzingis haven't proven anything yet that they can take their team to the playoffs as the main guy. Giannis literally took a bunch of scrubs to the playoffs.

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Towns
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
We always mention Jaylen Brown's work ethic when projecting him.  I don't hear much about Towns being unique in that regard one way or the other.  But I always hear about the incredible work ethic of Giannis.  That's got to mean something.  So basically it's a question of if Giannis is more likely to learn to shoot or if Towns is more likely to learn to hustle on defense.
Towns has an incredible work ethic as well, KG applauded him for that during his final season with the Wolves. Imo Jaylen's work ethic is the most insane out of the 3, he wakes up at 5am in the morning to practice and fasts on water.
The water fast seems like more of a detriment to me.  I know that Giannis works out after games until like 3am.

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

So Towns is like, say Cousins minus the meltdowns?

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Cousins is a really good defender.  Towns isn't yet.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Cousins is a really good defender.  Towns isn't yet.

Disregard. Thought you said rebounding. That said, I don't think either is good defensively. Towns has been really lackadaisical at times, while Cousins takes too many plays off due to temper tantrums and is a liability in the pick and roll.

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
giannis

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
If they're all healthy, I'd take Embiid. Realistically I'd go with Giannis.

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
If you assume equal health, I'd probably have to go Embiid.

With their actual durability, I would go:

1. Towns (our good coaching and mentorship would help him flourish)
1a. Giannis (very tough choice)
3. Embiid
4. Porzingis

Curious if anyone would rank Jokic at or above any of the names on this list. For me he's awfully close to Porzingis.

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Giannis, but I'm Greek and I've happened to grow up in the same neighborhood as he did, so I'm not so sure I can be 100% objective on this one. I 'd love to see Giannis playing for the C's even when he 'll be in his late 30s or something. :)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 09:47:34 AM by Jvalin »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Not sure why anyone would assume a healthy Embiid in answering this question.  He hasn't been healthy and I don't think any GM would take a gamble on choosing a guy who played 30 games in 3 years to be the cornerstone over Giannis and Towns.

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I'll go with Towns too. He'll get better and better on both sides of the ball.

Embiid will always be on the IR list. The 76ers have tried every injury protection safeguard possible in the last 3 years. And still he he can't stay healthy.  The history on his type injury on players at his size, isn't very good either.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 01:06:44 PM by Rosco917 »