Poll

Which of the following players would you build around?

Karl Anthony Towns
Giannis Antetokounmpo
Joel Embiid
Kristaps Porzingis

Author Topic: Towns, Giannis, Embiid or Porzingis: Who Ya Got as Best Young Cornerstone?  (Read 3407 times)

Offline ConnerHenry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59
In an interesting piece for Bleacher Report, Dan Favale explores which player out of a group that features Karl-Anthony Towns, Joel Embiid, Giannis Antetokounmpo, and Kristaps Porzingis would make for the best young franchise cornerstone. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2726826-towns-giannis-embiid-or-porzingis-who-ya-got-as-best-under-24-cornerstone?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national

The Case for Giannis Antetokounmpo: Antetokounmpo led the Milwaukee Bucks in all five major stat categories, becoming the fifth player overall to do so, and the first since LeBron James in 2008-09. He also finished inside the top 20 of the league in total points, rebounds, assists, steals and blocks. No player, not even James himself, has done that before.

The Case for Joel Embiid: Embiid emerged from his injury-plagued hibernation last season as the unicorn the NBA didn't know it employed. He wasn't just a silhouette of Hakeem Olajuwon in the right light. He could shoot threes. He could switch across multiple assignments on defense. He swallowed shots at the rim. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is the only other player to ever tally at least 25 points, 10 rebounds, three assists and three blocks per 36 minutes. Not rookie. Player, bar none.

The Case for Kristaps Porzingis: No one else from this list combined to defend as many pick-and-roll ball-handler, roll-men, spot-up and isolation possessions per game last year. Porzingis was far from the most prolific stopper in these categories, but spreading himself across so many different play types is a feat unto itself.

The Case for Karl-Anthony Towns: Towns made strides in almost area of the game. He was devastating out of the pick-and-roll. He improved his three-point clip while upping his volume. He graded out as one of the five most efficient higher-usage post-up scorers. His entire defensive approach needs work, but he's a better switcher than advertised and already a convincing glass-crasher and vertical rim protector. Oh, he's also just the second player to tally 2,000 points, 100 blocks and 100 made three-pointers in the same season. His company: Kevin Durant.

Who you got?

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
It's so tough to pick between Towns and Giannis.  I'd love to have either one.  I really can't decide.

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Without the health concerns, I'd take Embiid barely over Giannis.  Since they can't be ignored, it is clearly Giannis.  Imagine how good he'll be if he can become an average shooter.  Of course, I'm now depressed thinking how Giannis could have, should have been ours. 

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Towns. He just up prime KG numbers in his second season. KGs best season was 24/13/5.  Towns just did 25/12/2.7. Greek freak is easily out coached. Just force him to shoot outside. Towns has it all. He just needs to tweak his defense, and learn to pass better but he is still young. Embiid is a joke who will retire in 2 years after getting injured twice more. And porzingis is a hard read but will probably be a all star a few times

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Gotta go with KAT.

Giannis' flaws are a bit too big (as it stands), whereas KAT's can easily be fixed.

Next is Embiid, but his injuries are the only reason he's not #1.

Kristaps is considerably below the rest.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
KAT, and it's not even remotely close.

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Giannis is the safest. Towns is the highest ceiling. Porzingis is the wrong choice.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
7-11  ;D

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
KAT, and it's not even remotely close.

Gianni's and it's not close. Town's defense has been a big disappointment.

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Giannis, neo-antique Greek god.
He has the best 2-way potential and longevity combo.
And another, perhaps the most important thing, he brings the ball up.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Towns.

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I'd lean towards Giannis at this point. He's already shown he can impact both ends of the court.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
We always mention Jaylen Brown's work ethic when projecting him.  I don't hear much about Towns being unique in that regard one way or the other.  But I always hear about the incredible work ethic of Giannis.  That's got to mean something.  So basically it's a question of if Giannis is more likely to learn to shoot or if Towns is more likely to learn to hustle on defense.

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Wow, I voted for Embiid and it's not really that close IMO.  Love KAT, but give me Embiid all day.