Poll

Which of the following players would you build around?

Karl Anthony Towns
Giannis Antetokounmpo
Joel Embiid
Kristaps Porzingis

Author Topic: Towns, Giannis, Embiid or Porzingis: Who Ya Got as Best Young Cornerstone?  (Read 3406 times)

Offline Dannys Chipotle Guy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 48
Giannis. Easy choice for me.

Towns is second in another fairly easy choice, then Porzingis then Embiid, but those 2 are closer.

Offline Dannys Chipotle Guy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 48
Not sure why anyone would assume a healthy Embiid in answering this question.  He hasn't been healthy and I don't think any GM would take a gamble on choosing a guy who played 30 games in 3 years to be the cornerstone over Giannis and Towns.
hes got the highest ceiling of the 3.

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I'll go with Towns too. He'll get better and better on both sides of the ball.

Embiid will always be on the IR list. The 76ers have tried every injury protection safeguard possible in the last 3 years. And still he he can't stay healthy.  The history on his type injury on players at his size, isn't very good either.
Generically lumping all NBA big men with foot issues together over the decades isn't useful.  Their injuries weren't all the same and medical procedures have advanced significantly. 

The Sixers had no involvement in Embiid's 1st foot surgery, which involved screws being inserted in his foot, as it occurred before he was drafted.  He was expected he'd miss his 1st full season.  When he re-injured his foot, he ended up having similar bone graft surgery as KD did.  KD has done fine since his surgery.  Embiid showed no foot issues in the time he played last season.  I don't know of any other NBA players that have had that particular foot surgery. 

There were also concerns about Embiid's back.  He showed no back issues last season even though he was diving and falling to the floor a lot.  The injury that sideline Embiid last season was a meniscus tear.  Not unusual for NBA players and not particularly concerning.