Poll

Who will be the prospect(s) that will disappoint us?

Jaylen Brown
14 (34.1%)
Jayson Tatum
3 (7.3%)
Marcus Smart
24 (58.5%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Author Topic: Which of our top level prospects will end up to disappoint long-term?  (Read 7624 times)

Re: Which of our top level prospects will end up to disappoint long-term?
« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2017, 03:25:58 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I sadly think all 3 end up worse then their draft position, but Smart is exactly the player he was advertised to be, so it is hard to disappoint from that perspective so I voted for Brown and Tatum.

Why would you think Brown and Tatum will disappoint?  And why "sadly," if you aren't a Celtics fan?
sadly because I'd rather have them all end up better than their draft position.  I figured that was obvious.

I think both Brown and Tatum will be surpassed as players drafted after them as well as them not pass the 2 players taken ahead of them.  That means they would fail to live up to their draft position and as such would be disappointments.  Smart already has been passed up by multiple players and probably goes no better than 10 in a re-draft.  That is a failure for a 6th pick, but Smart is exactly the player he was advertised to be.
I'm not sure I would consider it a failure. I see a failure as a darko type of flop.

Agreed.  Hakeem Olajuwon is generally considered the 2nd best player from the 1984 draft, but that doesn't make him a "disappointment"
Now you are talking extreme examples, but in a redraft I suspect Houston doesn't take Hakeem 1st.  So with the 1st pick they didn't get the best player from the draft so on some level that is a disappointment or failure or whatever you want to call it.  Again extreme example given just how good Hakeem ended up, but he quite simply wasn't as good as Jordan. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Which of our top level prospects will end up to disappoint long-term?
« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2017, 05:25:03 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I sadly think all 3 end up worse then their draft position, but Smart is exactly the player he was advertised to be, so it is hard to disappoint from that perspective so I voted for Brown and Tatum.

Why would you think Brown and Tatum will disappoint?  And why "sadly," if you aren't a Celtics fan?
sadly because I'd rather have them all end up better than their draft position.  I figured that was obvious.

I think both Brown and Tatum will be surpassed as players drafted after them as well as them not pass the 2 players taken ahead of them.  That means they would fail to live up to their draft position and as such would be disappointments.  Smart already has been passed up by multiple players and probably goes no better than 10 in a re-draft.  That is a failure for a 6th pick, but Smart is exactly the player he was advertised to be.
I'm not sure I would consider it a failure. I see a failure as a darko type of flop.

Agreed.  Hakeem Olajuwon is generally considered the 2nd best player from the 1984 draft, but that doesn't make him a "disappointment"
Now you are talking extreme examples, but in a redraft I suspect Houston doesn't take Hakeem 1st.  So with the 1st pick they didn't get the best player from the draft so on some level that is a disappointment or failure or whatever you want to call it.  Again extreme example given just how good Hakeem ended up, but he quite simply wasn't as good as Jordan.

Same will be said of LeBron.  That MJ was somethin else, man.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC